PDA

View Full Version : North France wilding recomendation wanted

Hobbsy
24-08-2011, 21:35
Im heading from disney land to callais, (with two kids) i have two nights to kill before my ferry, and was looking through the Aires Book for a suitable place to stop, can anyone recomend anywhere, Im traveling down the west coast on the way so hoping to avoid this! thanks in advance :)

torwood
25-08-2011, 06:59
Have a look at Gravelines near Dunkirk (Portail (http://www.ville-gravelines.fr)), very good aire on the harbour front, short walk / cycle ride to the coast with large flat beaches, activity swimming pool. Explore the only town in France to have a moat all round it, walk the walls, boating on the moat, walks in the area - english language guide to them in the tourist office and look for the pirates house near the beach, have a go at sand yachting.

bob72
25-08-2011, 09:57
We came back from France recently and stayed here the day and night before the ferry. Very nice Aire but is on a bit of a slope. Loads of room even in August but get there early ish to get a decent pitch. We had sea view :)

Town is OK for an evening meal but the coast is quite interesting with big dunes to explore and some WW2 bunker type things.

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.743408,1.597481&spn=0.000217,0.367355&z=12&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=50.743269,1.597295&panoid=hveN-66PYVB2n4bxEQTx8g&cbp=12,239.8,,0,6.14)

Town is called Boulogne-sur-Mer.

The link above does not show it as an Aire but it is now for sure. Cost was 5.40 euro and the chap collects in the morning quite late (around 10am we paid).

We really enjoyed our day and a bit exploring around here

bob72
25-08-2011, 10:00
Im heading from disney land to callais, (with two kids) i have two nights to kill before my ferry, and was looking through the Aires Book for a suitable place to stop, can anyone recomend anywhere, Im traveling down the west coast on the way so hoping to avoid this! thanks in advance :)

Also if your heading down the west coast (our fav bit of France) checkout Lacanau-Ocean. If you go south a few miles there are some pretty special places to camp in the pine forests and amazing beaches. Its also possible to get away from the crowds here as its mainly surfers and they tend to stick to the town (Lacanau)

donkey too
25-08-2011, 11:12
You could also try Berck if you want to be in the centre of a town. follow 303 into Berck as far as sea front. when you see the sea in front of you there is a car park on the left which is used a lot. we stay there when over there for the kite festivals.

fairytooth
25-08-2011, 12:46
There are a couple of Aires at Le Crotoy (5 euros) The one by the Somme Estuary can be busy but has good views across the bay and easy access. There is a big Aire on the other side of the Somme at St Valery (9 euros) still being constructed - its a very large gravel car park purpose built.

Nearer Calais there are a few choices. There is one right on Calais sea front by the ferry harbour entrance (7 euros I think) but my o/h was kept awake by ships generators running. A quarter of a mile inland from there is a free parking area used by MHs and lorries which we plan to try next trip. There is also a nice Aire just sw along the coast at Escalles (9 euros and showers, electricity available)looks like a caravan site but isn't. Great views across the Channel (recommended).

Still plenty of others, PM me if you need more info.

donkey too
25-08-2011, 13:38
If you just want to overnight at Calais waiting for ferry then why not use the motor home parking at Euro City. I have found it veru convenient at times.

Hobbsy
25-08-2011, 20:23
wow, thanks guys, im thinking that Gravelines might be on the cards this time but ill deffo look into the others, thanks again :) im trying to stay away from the west coast as i will be going that way but ill come home from disney enroute to Gravelines and stay enruite somewher! oooh cant wait now! :wacko:

Croftland1
25-08-2011, 21:13
Have a look at the Embry aire, about 50km south of Calais and slightly inland. It is a beautifully manicured m/h campsite with facility block for 6 Euros a night.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS