PDA

View Full Version : Android Smartphones

Canalsman
24-08-2011, 23:40
CoPilot Live sat nav software is available from the Android Market, and allows third party POIs to be used.

This page tells you how to load the POI data Using POI Factory POIs with CoPilot Live for Android (and maybe other smartphones) | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/31770)

This is an extract from that page:

To get the files into CoPilot Live is surprisingly easy:

a) Connect your phone as an external hard drive to your computer. (With Android phones, hook up the USB cable, it should automatically ask if you want to turn on USB storage. It will then show up as an additional drive.)

b) Go to the \copilot\NA\North America\save folder (I use the North America version--if you just got the US version, it may be something like \copilot\NA\United States\save, it does vary between versions of CoPilot; it'll be in the general format of \copilot\(continent two-letter abbreviation)\(your country or map set)\save.)

c) Copy your .ov2 (and if you have an icon file, the icon) to this directory and disconnect your phone by pressing "Turn Off USB Storage".)

d) Start up CoPilot Live. It will immediately pop up stating that a new POI set has been found. Click the next arrow (to the right), and you can either select a preexisting category or select "New Category" for really custom POIs and click next.

e) Select "No" for "are you importing safety camera data?", then click "next".

It should then gracefully import all your POIs. These will show up in a custom category under Settings -> Manage POIs--so you can turn them on and off at your leisure.

sagart
28-11-2011, 08:35
Nice one....but Co-Pilot Central allows this directly by choosing to import POI's in ov2 or csv formats and any graphic directly off the desktop. The whole process is automatic...

ForresGeek
28-11-2011, 08:40
I normally import the POI files directly into Google Maps as a private map into "My Maps"..

Once it's in there, they show up on Google Maps & Google navigate on my phone... No need for extra software.

--
ForresGeek

Northerner
28-11-2011, 09:05
I normally import the POI files directly into Google Maps as a private map into "My Maps"..

Once it's in there, they show up on Google Maps & Google navigate on my phone... No need for extra software.

--
ForresGeek

If you use Google Navigate when in mainland Europe you'll be in for some hefty data charges, as Google maps are not stored on your phone and have to be downloaded whenever you calculate a route or the route has to be recalculated. Co-Pilot and similar sat-nav solutions have the entire European mapping stored on your phone or your memory card and can be used just like a normal sat-nav, in that all you need is GPS, which is free. That's why there's a need for extra software for some of us. Apart from which, Co-Pilot is infinitely superior to Google Maps, which is why we're prepared to pay for it.

ForresGeek
29-11-2011, 20:19
If you use Google Navigate when in mainland Europe you'll be in for some hefty data charges, as Google maps are not stored on your phone and have to be downloaded whenever you calculate a route or the route has to be recalculated. Co-Pilot and similar sat-nav solutions have the entire European mapping stored on your phone or your memory card and can be used just like a normal sat-nav, in that all you need is GPS, which is free. That's why there's a need for extra software for some of us. Apart from which, Co-Pilot is infinitely superior to Google Maps, which is why we're prepared to pay for it.

Fair comment Northerner.. My travels to date have been in the UK.

With the latest versions of Google maps, you can "pre-fetch" the map for the area you're travelling in to reduce data charges.

When abroad, I normally buy a local SIM for my phone, so data charges are more realistic.

Northerner
29-11-2011, 21:30
Fair comment Northerner.. My travels to date have been in the UK.

With the latest versions of Google maps, you can "pre-fetch" the map for the area you're travelling in to reduce data charges.

When abroad, I normally buy a local SIM for my phone, so data charges are more realistic.

As far as I'm aware you can only pre-fetch an area ten miles either side of a central point, which is useless for most journeys. I take the point about a local SIM card and whilst that may be OK for phone calls, data charges are another thing altogether and can cost a fortune. If you have a smartphone with a decent-sized screen it's definitely worth looking at Co-Pilot and if you're happy with Google Navigation I can assure you that you'll love Co-Pilot.

I used to use Google Navigator in the UK as, presumably like you, I have a massive data allowance, and I do agree, for a free application, it is quite good. However, with various European trips coming off I started to look a bit deeper and realised that I could be in for some huge bills, hence my purchase of Co-Pilot. It's only about 33 at present from Android Market, which is as low as it's ever been I think, and that includes all Europe.

Aethelric
02-09-2012, 01:15
I have a Google nexus 7 tablet and I'm currently using Navfree - a sat nav app. It works very well and is free.

I can't get the poi files into the tablet though.

I can use the poi file for google maps on a laptop, to get the lat/long co-ordinates and them hand type them into the google search on the tablet and that works but its a little time consuming and needs a connection to the web. Has anyone managed to get the poi files into an android app (other than co-pilot mentioned above)

Canalsman
02-09-2012, 11:19
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/16923-pois-google-maps.html

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS