PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland

AuldTam
27-08-2011, 18:45
Going to Sunderland on Saturday 10th September for one night can anyone recommend a quiet spot to park up for the night...a nearby a pub would be ideal

first5
27-08-2011, 20:26
On the coast road road mid way between Sunderland and south Shields is a pub called the Whitburn Lodge on the right hand side. (Coast side). Used to be be very pro motorhome and am sure they held rallies at one time. Used to be good food as well. Watch out for the speed camera on the coast road. Which part of Sunderland are you heading for?

AuldTam
27-08-2011, 21:09
On the coast road road mid way between Sunderland and south Shields is a pub called the Whitburn Lodge on the right hand side. (Coast side). Used to be be very pro motorhome and am sure they held rallies at one time. Used to be good food as well. Watch out for the speed camera on the coast road. Which part of Sunderland are you heading for?

South Shields...I'll look up the Whitburn Lodge and give them a call. Thanks for your help.

joncris
28-08-2011, 17:34
Check out the Marsden Grotto C/P Travelling on the Coast road towards S/S its on the right. There's a lift that goes down to the Grotto Pub situated on the beach

Google maps

The Marsden Grotto Restaurant
Coast Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear NE34 7BS, United Kingdom
+44 191 455 6060 ‎ marsden-grotto.co.uk

AuldTam
28-08-2011, 17:48
Check out the Marsden Grotto C/P Travelling on the Coast road towards S/S its on the right. There's a lift that goes down to the Grotto Pub situated on the beach

Google maps

Thanks..I will look it up too..

AuldTam
04-09-2011, 15:08

Google maps

After some internet research I found out this is a gay cruising area...and so are the public toilets situated there...not my scene i'm afraid.

maingate
04-09-2011, 16:15
The locals used to be a rough crowd as well in Marsden.

Try further South on the coast road. I don't know any spots as it is a long time since I was down that way.

If Seaburn is not too far away, it might be possible to overnight on the main road just past Morrisons supermarket. You could even tuck yourself away at the back of their car park. It is pretty quiet, if I remember correctly.

What may be closer for you is the Souter lighthouse in S. Shields. There used to be a car park there on the coast. I believe it is classed as a monument now so there might be restrictions. It is just to the south of the town.

project2006
04-09-2011, 21:02
There is a couple of spots down between the Piers on the north side of town. down to the mini roundabout and turn right and go into a carpark by the sailing club or turn right and there is some hardstanding oposite a couple of houses situated at the start of the pier. altarnativley drive along the sea road towards seaburn, after the Roker Hotelis a little bit of park as you go over a bridge, zebra crossing past a turning on the left down the edge of the park, take the next lh turn its between the large old peoples home and some 1970's style houses. This is a quiet street with no houses overlooking its length so you can park there.
or just past the roundabout after morrisons on the coast road is marked off parking area along the edge of the coast road .......... hope this helps.

joncris
04-09-2011, 21:45
After some internet research I found out this is a gay cruising area...and so are the public toilets situated there...not my scene i'm afraid.

Nor mine won't be going there again:scared:

AuldTam
04-09-2011, 22:36
There is a couple of spots down between the Piers on the north side of town. down to the mini roundabout and turn right and go into a carpark by the sailing club or turn right and there is some hardstanding oposite a couple of houses situated at the start of the pier. altarnativley drive along the sea road towards seaburn, after the Roker Hotelis a little bit of park as you go over a bridge, zebra crossing past a turning on the left down the edge of the park, take the next lh turn its between the large old peoples home and some 1970's style houses. This is a quiet street with no houses overlooking its length so you can park there.
or just past the roundabout after morrisons on the coast road is marked off parking area along the edge of the coast road .......... hope this helps.

Thanks, I found both these spots on Google maps and they look very promising, have you overnighted there before?

project2006
05-09-2011, 19:21
No ........... I live one street back from the seafront, good beer (ale) in the Harbour view pub.

AuldTam
06-09-2011, 11:31
No ........... I live one street back from the seafront, good beer (ale) in the Harbour view pub.

Brilliant...thanks for your help. If your in the pub look out for the two scots and I'll buy you a drink.

Tam.

AuldTam
12-09-2011, 13:31

Had a great time in Sunderland at the weekend thanks for your tips...

We stayed in the quiet street next to the care home you recommended on saturday night and had a great undisturbed sleep. Tried to get into the Harbour View but it was mobbed so went to the Queen Vic instead.

Tried morrisons first but the young team on motorbikes at car park round the back put us off staying there.

Tam.

project2006
26-10-2012, 22:35
South Shields...I'll look up the Whitburn Lodge and give them a call. Thanks for your help.

Quick update, the pub is now closed, however the carpark is still open.

marydot
27-10-2012, 12:27

I have a feeling that's closed down, so might be worth a telephone call before arrival,

ps - you won't get a quiet night near a pub in Sunderland!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDit I really should read to the end before I post!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS