PDA

View Full Version : Rattray Head Coast

RobKeeble
27-08-2011, 16:53
Hello Canalsman,

Thought you might like these two quiet picturesque stops for any members who reach the North East corner of Scotland.

-1.859133, 57.608047, "CR St Mary's Chapel Rattray (Aberdeenshire)"
This car park for the ruins of St Mary's Chapel (c1210) has no restrictions at all, is easily accessible for all sized vehicles and has plenty of space for quite a few. It's a beautiful quiet spot overlooking open farmland and the Loch of Strathbeg nature reserve with regular sightings of deer, badgers, stoats, otters, etc. The birdlife is something rather special, whether it's clouds of acrobatic starlings, hundreds of whooper swans gliding on the loch, or tens of thousands of pink-footed geese overwintering in the area. You're pretty much guaranteed a good nights sleep.

-1.829406, 57.609545, "CR Rattray Head (Aberdeenshire)"
For those adventurous souls willing to brave the mile of pot-holed single track beyond St Mary's Chapel, there is a public car park next to my home for visitors to the secluded 11 mile beach and dunes. There is room for a few motorhomes, and although we have had two fullsize coaches and regular 7.5T lorry deliveries, owners of larger motorhomes may not want to subject their pride and joy to the stress of the narrow lane which only has a few gateways for passing places. Again, a good sleep is to be had, although if you hear howling from the dunes, it won't be wolves, it will be the grey seal colony that stays here during the summer months.

Rattray Head isn't on streetview, so here is a photo of the car park which now also has a barrier around it to protect the SSSI from naughty cars and quadbikes.

Cheers for now,
Rob

Canalsman
27-08-2011, 20:14
Thanks for these - I've added them to the POI database :)

By the way, the convention is to quote latitude before longitude ... your coordinates put you in the Pacific!

Regards

Chris

Rubbertramp
27-08-2011, 20:30
Hello Canalsman,

Thought you might like these two quiet picturesque stops for any members who reach the North East corner of Scotland.

-1.859133, 57.608047, "CR St Mary's Chapel Rattray (Aberdeenshire)"
This car park for the ruins of St Mary's Chapel (c1210) has no restrictions at all, is easily accessible for all sized vehicles and has plenty of space for quite a few. It's a beautiful quiet spot overlooking open farmland and the Loch of Strathbeg nature reserve with regular sightings of deer, badgers, stoats, otters, etc. The birdlife is something rather special, whether it's clouds of acrobatic starlings, hundreds of whooper swans gliding on the loch, or tens of thousands of pink-footed geese overwintering in the area. You're pretty much guaranteed a good nights sleep.

-1.829406, 57.609545, "CR Rattray Head (Aberdeenshire)"
For those adventurous souls willing to brave the mile of pot-holed single track beyond St Mary's Chapel, there is a public car park next to my home for visitors to the secluded 11 mile beach and dunes. There is room for a few motorhomes, and although we have had two fullsize coaches and regular 7.5T lorry deliveries, owners of larger motorhomes may not want to subject their pride and joy to the stress of the narrow lane which only has a few gateways for passing places. Again, a good sleep is to be had, although if you hear howling from the dunes, it won't be wolves, it will be the grey seal colony that stays here during the summer months.

Rattray Head isn't on streetview, so here is a photo of the car park which now also has a barrier around it to protect the SSSI from naughty cars and quadbikes.

Cheers for now,
Rob

I'll second that......Beautiful remote wild place.....I cycled along the beach from St Combs to Buchanhaven......Brilliant!

ellieloy
27-08-2011, 20:35
looks good and could be a great one for us on our regular trips up north

RobKeeble
27-08-2011, 20:51
By the way, the convention is to quote latitude before longitude ... your coordinates put you in the Pacific!

Eeek! Sorry about that Chris. I used the same order as in the POI files so you could just cut'n'paste, but I will submit this way next time.

Rob

kimbowbill
29-08-2011, 03:01
I'll second that......Beautiful remote wild place.....I cycled along the beach from St Combs to Buchanhaven......Brilliant!

I'll third it, super place

Jen

kimbowbill
29-08-2011, 03:05
i put the co ordinates in and finished up in russia lol:scared:

rienza
08-09-2011, 19:31
Thanks for that Rob. We are in the area and are planning to visit the Loch tomorrow for a spot of bird photography.

The car parks sound great.

RobKeeble
08-09-2011, 19:51
Well if you venture as far as us, do come and say hello. The dogs bark to alert me but they are very friendly and haven't eaten anyone yet.

rienza
08-09-2011, 21:02
Thanks for that.

We are on a CL tonight The Croft Inn at Boyndlie. Nice and quiet and 6 per night Inc electricity if anyone is interested.

rienza
10-09-2011, 12:05
Stayed on the car park next to Rob's place last night. Very peaceful. Wonderful, huge sand dunes. Miles and miles of empty beach. Seals in the water and a seal pup on the beach. Gorgeous.

Thank you Rob for making us feel welcome and for your local information. We look forward to meeting up again.

We are down at Cruden Bay at the moment.

RobKeeble
10-09-2011, 12:52
Lovely meeting you three and chatting, and looking forward to seeing you again if/when we are over your way on our wilding hols. Looks like a sunny evening coming along and a clear night, so keep an eye out for that supernova above the plough, and the aurora if it is forecast again tonight.:wave:

rienza
10-09-2011, 19:19
Will do thanks Rob.

Just taken lovely sunset pics and eaten delicious fish and chips from the little cafe cabin on the harbour.

Will be having breakfast there too tomorrow morning.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS