PDA

View Full Version : Quantocks

The Blade
28-08-2011, 09:33
Hi,

Just stayed at the Quantocks (Somerset) sites.
Quantock3 is a bit rutted but our 7+m van coped with a bit of care. There is some levelling to do in most of the site.
We didn't attempt to get into Quantock2 because of significant ruts near the entrance. A smaller van would have coped and it is a cracking good spot.
Quantock3 is level and smooth and was probably our best option.
Wonderful area. Out of the door and straight on the moor, with very little overnight traffic. A fairly nasty steep hill on the approach from the west (double-arrowed on the OS map).

BTW, how do I access any comments on the sites before I go?

donkey too
28-08-2011, 11:06
Your post has made me want to go back there. |Was last there when stationed at Watchet with the Army as War Office Trials battalion and then 24 standby battalion. WOW! that was 1957. But we used to love the Quantocks, and I did all my training there ready for my selection to a another regiment.

Canalsman
28-08-2011, 23:38
Hi,

Just stayed at the Quantocks (Somerset) sites.
Quantock3 is a bit rutted but our 7+m van coped with a bit of care. There is some levelling to do in most of the site.
We didn't attempt to get into Quantock2 because of significant ruts near the entrance. A smaller van would have coped and it is a cracking good spot.
Quantock3 is level and smooth and was probably our best option.
Wonderful area. Out of the door and straight on the moor, with very little overnight traffic. A fairly nasty steep hill on the approach from the west (double-arrowed on the OS map).

BTW, how do I access any comments on the sites before I go?

Thanks for the update - glad you liked these places :)

There are comments attached to a number of the POI locations - but it's a fairly small percentage.

For example, access restrictions are noted where known (width typically), nearby toilet facilities, pay & display car parks etc.

For pubs, the contact phone number is always included.

The information is accessible using Google Earth, Memory Map and Autoroute.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS