PDA

View Full Version : POI files and iPhone?

crojak63
30-08-2011, 10:35
Hello,
any possibility that these files will work on iPhone satnav applications? I've been using a lowcost app called Navmii that has worked as well as any high cost app. All the satnav apps that you provide POI files for are pretty expensive to buy as iPhone apps.
thanks

Viktor
12-10-2011, 09:51
Sorry crojac can't answer that one.....however I do have a question.

I read about diskaid and it appears I was wrong....so far the trial version which is active for 15 days has
allowed access to my iPhone 3GS which is not JB.

However I am using the TomTom app Western Europe Version. I read where one member copied over the
two files and succeeded in getting the POIs to work. I have been unable to repeat this.

When I open the TomTom app on the iPhone with diskaid I see this: - Tomtom1.jpg refers

Further opening the folders reveals this: - Tomtom2.jpg refers

The Content folders would look to be the place to put the WC POI folders - inside the POI subfolder which shows blank,
but on doing so, disconnecting, and running the app, these POIs don't show up in the list of selectable POI's in the app.

A search of the interenet would seem to suggest that the files have to be added into the zipped ipa file in itunes with
the current app deleted on the phone, so a re-install takes place, but unfortunately although you can read the zipped
ipa by adding .zip to the file as suggested in the instructions, it would appear that you cannot 'write' new files into
the zip. The app is security protected (makes sense).

Has anyone successfully (other than the poster who copied across) installed third party POI's on their un-Jb'd iPhone
using either the UK&Ireland or WesternEurope app?

As you can see there are none of the inbuilt icons or POI icons such as campsites, airports, hospitals showing which would
suggest that on installation from the ipa file that they are converted into the dat files you see on the root directory of the
app after installation.

Viktor
12-10-2011, 23:21
YAY!!

Cracked it.....I was going wrong on a couple of points.

Firstly....the original post was the correct way to use diskaid....I just made a couple of mistakes.

Secondly ....the instructions posted on the internet below are cack! ...but I'm leaving the post in case you
have been trying to add the POIs using that method.

Where I went wrong.....I failed to tick the advanced options menu to have diskaid show me the hidden files
of the root folder

and I changed the Wild Camp.bmp file to a png file.....I changed the file...actually I think I saved it without the space lol.
The two files : Wild Camp.png and Wild camp.ov2 then go into the folder as shown below

On the iphone in Menu/Change Settings/Map/POI Types/

and on the TomTom app itself they show up as Red Squares (I'll experiment further and see if the png file needs to be copied
somewhere else too and report further)....but meantime I can live with this.... :)

UPDATE:

Found the answer on the net was to reduce the size of the png file to 24x24 pixels

you should be able to right click on it and save it for your own use. Make sure you check the download and
correct the file name if necessary as sometime computers save the space with other characters.

and the result is shown in the next post above as I can only attach 5 files per post.

Canalsman
12-10-2011, 23:41
Thanks for the update Mark. Most helpful :)

Regards

Chris

Viktor
12-10-2011, 23:47

I'm happy now because this means more custom POI's can be uploaded with their own icons,
and custom png files for the vehicle types can be added to make on map icons for Campervans
and Motorhomes.

I'll work on those ;)

Don't now need to go and buy another expensive GPS after all!!

Viktor
13-10-2011, 00:55
Thanks Chris.....it opens up some interesting possibilities for our members with TomTom on
our iPhones..

for example we could now have a seperate POI choice of our members recommended pub stopovers,
or personally recommended eating establishments or coffee shops etc with their own icon

A member in the Lake District could publish a POI of their recommended sites to see etc

The POI files could be uploaded or unloaded as required....if I was off to the Lake District and
had a recommended sightseeing POI, I'd temporarily turn off all the rest and leave it solely on
the POIs for the tour etc... come dinner time I'd turn on the recommended eating places etc..:D

Members of 'Aire' schemes could also add seperate countries databases to choose to view or not...
all just like a regular more expensive GPS!

james1508
04-01-2012, 11:05
YAY!!

Cracked it.....I was going wrong on a couple of points.

Firstly....the original post was the correct way to use diskaid....I just made a couple of mistakes.

Secondly ....the instructions posted on the internet below are cack! ...but I'm leaving the post in case you
have been trying to add the POIs using that method.

Where I went wrong.....I failed to tick the advanced options menu to have diskaid show me the hidden files
of the root folder

and I changed the Wild Camp.bmp file to a png file.....I changed the file...actually I think I saved it without the space lol.
The two files : Wild Camp.png and Wild camp.ov2 then go into the folder as shown below

On the iphone in Menu/Change Settings/Map/POI Types/

and on the TomTom app itself they show up as Red Squares (I'll experiment further and see if the png file needs to be copied
somewhere else too and report further)....but meantime I can live with this.... :)

UPDATE:

Found the answer on the net was to reduce the size of the png file to 24x24 pixels

you should be able to right click on it and save it for your own use. Make sure you check the download and
correct the file name if necessary as sometime computers save the space with other characters.

and the result is shown in the next post above as I can only attach 5 files per post.

Thanks for posting this, i have just successfully done this and now have POI on my TOM TOM AP on my iphone 4 :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS