PDA

View Full Version : problems unzipping/computer crashes

ruthiebabe
30-08-2011, 13:47
Hi

I am a full member wishing to download the files and am tearing my hair out here. I am on vista home premium. I click on dowload files then click save. If I click on open the compter goes berserk. Once I have saved I am rightclicking to extract files but nothing is happening and I don't know how else to do it. I get as far as putting in my email address as password but can't see any processes taking place thereafter. Help please!

TIA, Ruth

donald and daisy
30-08-2011, 14:55
Hi

Does the menu when you right click on the file have an 'extract' option if not or it doesn't work try google and search for Winzip ( some programmes are free so you don't need to spend loads). Also worth checking where the file is unzipped to, best to the desktop for easy access.:goodluck:

sagart
30-08-2011, 16:12
Hi

I am a full member wishing to download the files and am tearing my hair out here. I am on vista home premium. I click on dowload files then click save. If I click on open the compter goes berserk. Once I have saved I am rightclicking to extract files but nothing is happening and I don't know how else to do it. I get as far as putting in my email address as password but can't see any processes taking place thereafter. Help please!

TIA, Ruth
How do you define "berserk"? Right clicking in Vista on a zipped file should, by default" offer an "extract" option. It's just a matter then of deciding where to unzip it....the advice in this thread to use the desktop is the best as it prevents losing the unzipped file.

Admin
30-08-2011, 16:24
Hi

TIA, Ruth

Please remember you need software to open the file that supports passwords, there are instructions on the download page.

Phil

ruthiebabe
03-09-2011, 11:56
Phil: not sure what you mean about needing software to extract files as in the guide you say

“Zip files can be ‘unzipped’ in Windows itself if you’re using Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.”

Is that not the case? As I said I have Vista home premium and there is a right click to extract files. Please clarify, thanks.

Sagart: by beserk I mean it multiple windows opening up at the rate of knots, unable to stop the process except by restarting computer, even task manager can't stop it.

Once I have downloaded to desktop I right click on open and am given a choice

extract and replace
extract and update or
fresh existing files only

It is at this stage that I cannot open them without the flashing. I chose the default which is extract and replace.

What is the next step after downloading to desktop?

Thanks, Ruth

Canalsman
03-09-2011, 12:24
I wrote the notes about unzipping the download ...

XP and later do allow the contents of zip files to be extracted in the way you describe.

If that is causing the symptoms you describe, there must be an underlying problem.

Do you have an up-to-date virus checker on your PC? It could well be that you have a virus ...

I would investigate that first by carrying out a full virus scan.

If that isn't the cause, download and install 7-Zip from here 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org)

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Chris

ruthiebabe
04-09-2011, 06:56
Thanks Chris

Virus scan was the first thing I did after the 'beserk' stuff and all fine, checked again just now. I have downloaded 7-zip and extracted them so thanks...but still wonder why it needed it when vista has a facility.

Ruth

Canalsman
04-09-2011, 23:22
Thanks Chris

Virus scan was the first thing I did after the 'beserk' stuff and all fine, checked again just now. I have downloaded 7-zip and extracted them so thanks...but still wonder why it needed it when vista has a facility.

Ruth

I have worked with PC's for almost 30 years - and sometimes you just have to work round the problem.

Glad you've got it sorted now.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS