PDA

View Full Version : Skye, any tips?

ruthiebabe
30-08-2011, 13:54
Hi

Off to Skye next week and would be grateful for any tips re wild camping spots not already on here, water/waste disposal facilities or small informal campsites. The bigger sites such as those on UK campsite I obviously have details of, but personal recommendations most welcome

TIA, Ruth

toxicturtle
30-08-2011, 15:03
hi there
dont know if this is on but theres a turn off the main road towards broadfoot, on the right after the air field, follow it down onto the dirt track and you will see a small cemetry to the left and the track runs down to a wall on the shore. Nice sunset and seals playing in the morning.

dc6947
30-08-2011, 15:22
I came across a great campsite by pure chance... a tiny family run site with about 4 or 5 pitches and very basic facilities but the view was great... when the tide comes in it comes to within about 6ft of the campsite. The owners were super friendly and had fresh eggs from them in the morning. They run a boat business there too and have a couple boats i think... you can hire them for 15.00 an hour.

The campsite was on the main road going towards Portree.... you go over the bridge into Skye and turn right towards Portree and the site is about 20 miles before you get to Portree on the right. (Loch Side Caravan Site , Broadford Campsites, Isle Of Skye (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=8854))
I think we paid around 8 pounds for the night.

As far as wild camping goes, there are lots of places on Skye, it isn't too hard to find somewhere as it is so wild and remote. Do plan on it taking longer than you think to explore, Skye ended up being much larger than we counted on and i'm going to have to plan another trip back there to explore properly because 2 days wasn't enough to do anything other than get up to Portree really!

Anyway, i attached a couple of piccies from the campsite - it was my favourite site mostly because the owners were so friendly and it was a great base to start at on the first day when arriving, but the views were ace too. Oh, and my internet 3G "3" dongle had broadband here that was so good i could watch BBC Iplayer, which was strange considering the remoteness (i couldn't get the net in Inverness!).

sagart
30-08-2011, 16:05
Hi

Off to Skye next week and would be grateful for any tips re wild camping spots not already on here, water/waste disposal facilities or small informal campsites. The bigger sites such as those on UK campsite I obviously have details of, but personal recommendations most welcome

TIA, Ruth
Self advertising, but do a search on "sagart" in the Scotland postings, mostly in Inverness shire, , I've put a lot of information over the past years.
Also, if you have a satnav, Canalsman's Poi sites for Skye gives excellent information

Canalsman
30-08-2011, 16:14
hi there
dont know if this is on but theres a turn off the main road towards broadfoot, on the right after the air field, follow it down onto the dirt track and you will see a small cemetry to the left and the track runs down to a wall on the shore. Nice sunset and seals playing in the morning.

Yes - this place is in the POI download :)

Rubbertramp
30-08-2011, 16:26
Saucy Mary's bar and lodge (car park opposite) in Kyleakin under the Skye bridge...Great Pub...live music and good food.

jann
30-08-2011, 20:51
Try Kilt Rock car park In the North West On A855 north of Portree

toxicturtle
31-08-2011, 22:30
Great place stunning location wi amazing views of the cliffs, sea below and the waterfall, however its amazing after heavy rain!

Try Kilt Rock car park In the North West On A855 north of Portree

isle of skye
01-09-2011, 11:42
Skye is wonderful and as others have said wild camping here pretty good have done the one near the graveyard it is quiet ha ha also depending on size of van do the very narrow and up and down road that does a u run on the sleat peninsular that goes off the A851 out to Tarskavaig when you get to the coast there are a couple of pull offs that over look the bay towards the Cuillins amazing. For water there is a tap outside toilets at Broadford and for the best showers ever had stay at Glenbrittle campsite old basic out of the way steep hill down but boy is it worth it and if you climb or walk or just sit and look for otters this is the place. Enjoy the trip i did the white wedding revows on skye three years ago out of our camper van and nothing has bettered that place.

Samson
01-09-2011, 16:19
Check out my site at Staffin Bay. Also near Staffin a little further north and on the main road there is a wc where you can get water and empty your cassette, and another one on the junction to Flora Macdonalds grave near Kilmaluag on the same road. Lots of places to stop providing you are not near towns or villages. You can also use the car park at the ferry at Armadale opposite Mallaig.

sagart
01-09-2011, 16:34
You mean our councillors will be leaving these toilets open?
Another Staffin perk is that it is quite a good spot to surf in the right conditions.
Toilet at Dunvegan carpark also has an outside tap

cedas
25-10-2011, 22:29
Bit late in the day to respond to previous posts (not many of you will be up here now - and if you are I hope you have heating and good waterproofs) but as one who lives here - pls pls pls use your mirror often - I do get tired of driving behind some selfish motorhome drivers holding up the traffic -( I know many are considerate drivers) If on single track roads, use the passing places to allow people (maybe on their way to work or to an urgent appointment) to pass. Remember in UK we drive on the LEFT - that means if passing places are on your right - you DON'T drive into them you just stop opposite. And please remember passing places are passing places not parking places - - sounds stupid but you wouldn't believe the number of camper vans I've seen parked up in passing places - so that I have had to back up 20-30 yards to previous passing place to allow a wagon full of sheep to pass. Having said that there are some great places to wild camp for considerate campers

sagart
27-10-2011, 08:18
My personal hate is when I am trying to overtake another van and they deliberately refuse to allow it...I use a van because of the nature of my work but they clearly assume I am just another tourist.
Worst example I've met was on the Island of Uist a couple of years ago. A Hymer was cruising up the middle of Uist's main road (mainly single track with passing places) with an ambulance behind.
The driver ignored every passing area for several miles until he met the police car the ambulance driver had radioed for. According to the police officer, the Hymer driver tiraded to him for "discouraging tourists" and "against motorhomes because he probably owned a B&B".
Result? His vehicle was thoroughly searched and examined in a leisurely way known only to the islands.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS