PDA

View Full Version : Serbia travel tips

Pete Westy
13-09-2011, 12:20
Hoping to go to Istanbul next year.
Planning to go via Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade.
Love some advice on must-see places in Serbia and other tips for 'wilders' in Serbia.

ian81
01-11-2011, 18:13
..hope to cross into Serbia this weekend -5/11/11 at Novi Sad. Having searched much found little information even on German websites. Hope to report any good finds.

Millie
01-11-2011, 19:02
Drive with your lights on even during the day.

I don't know much about Serbia but plenty about Montenegro which was joined with Serbia until 2006. If you need any information on Montenegro just ask and I will try to help. I'm no expert by any means but have been to Montenegro several times and love the place - it's absolutely beautiful and well worth a detour.

Millie
01-11-2011, 19:21
You will find plenty of useful information on travelling through Eastern Europe here from Barry and Margaret Williamson - I love reading their website and have picked up plenty of tips.

MagBaz Travels (http://www.magbaztravels.com)

ian81
02-11-2011, 18:30
.....yes but Magbaz site and having emailed them is short on specific stops etc. for Serbia.

(typed as we are parked in Croatia just across border from Hungary in a restaurant -2x pizzas + litre wine for 10)

barnybg
02-11-2011, 19:57
If you think thats cheap,try Bulgaria on your travels,about 8 hours through Serbia,yes Law to drive with lights on permanant,in BG too,vignettes/road tax important to have,as steep fines (always ask for reciept and keep safe/vignettes and fines)
If no cover of insurance (Serbia) with green card,then its approx 110 euro at border,payable at bank/border window.

Pete Westy
08-01-2012, 16:58
..hope to cross into Serbia this weekend -5/11/11 at Novi Sad. Having searched much found little information even on German websites. Hope to report any good finds.

How did you get on, did you have/are you having a good time?

golfel
14-09-2012, 09:58
hope i'm doing this right as it's the first time i've posted something here.
we are looking at going via serbia in Mid Nov.
how did you go with a greencard at the border and road tax/tolls etc
we are currently in greece and looking at going Sofia, Belgrade, Zagreb......making our way through to Austria for a season skiing
any help, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated
cheers rose

rottiontour
14-09-2012, 20:12
hope i'm doing this right as it's the first time i've posted something here.
we are looking at going via serbia in Mid Nov.
how did you go with a greencard at the border and road tax/tolls etc
we are currently in greece and looking at going Sofia, Belgrade, Zagreb......making our way through to Austria for a season skiing
any help, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated
cheers rose

hi rose,
for me as well a new trial to write down some words....
we crossed serbia in march-april twice to greece via macedonia and back.
road toll in all countries no problem with credit cards, we did not need serbian or other money for tax and gas at all.
sufficient modern filling stations on highways, refuelling absolutely no problem, 24 hrs per day. highway situation is ok.
Greencard no idea, we use german system.

we want to go back to greece end of september.
what is the overall situation down there? did you experience any specific problems due to economic situation?

regards

Bernd (East Frisia)

golfel
15-09-2012, 10:10
Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your reply. We have not experienced any problems due to the economic situation. Every person we have met is just so friendly and welcoming but many are concerned about their future which is sad. Greece is wonderful and it's a shame more English don't come here, however I do understand it's a long journey with considerable expense.
We would dearly love to go via Bulgaria and Romania, but from all accounts the roads are not the best and with winter approaching it's probably best we high tail it (through Serbia) to Austria and do Romania and Bulgaria in summer.

We have wild camped since arriving in Igomenista on 16Aug and are now on Kammares just near Gythio. The produce (fish, meet, fruit, veg, oil, bread etc) from local vendors and stalls in cheaper than supermarkets and much fresher and at least our money is going straight to the family rather than to the larger supermarket chains....however they too need jobs and our tourist dollar as much as possible......
Re - serbia. If we are naughty and don't want to buy a Green card at the border - do they even ask to look at your ins certificate? Reason I'm asking is that we just want to drive through it at this stage, do the full 450km stint on the motorway in one day, or perhaps do a few nights in Belgrade at a campsite, but I am a little concerned to do too much driving in the country if we don't have insurance.
What's is your thoughts and experience on this? would love to see more in Serbia too, but as Aussies, insurance is a problem for us and we could only get it in UK so our hand's where tied a little bit. What is the German System you use?

Also, anyone else reading this....please PM me if you can give advice on how I start a new thread of my own...I can't work it out. We have wild camped all throughout Italy, Sicily and Greece and I have some great pointers and advice i'd love to share

hi rose,
for me as well a new trial to write down some words....
we crossed serbia in march-april twice to greece via macedonia and back.
road toll in all countries no problem with credit cards, we did not need serbian or other money for tax and gas at all.
sufficient modern filling stations on highways, refuelling absolutely no problem, 24 hrs per day. highway situation is ok.
Greencard no idea, we use german system.

we want to go back to greece end of september.
what is the overall situation down there? did you experience any specific problems due to economic situation?

regards

Bernd (East Frisia)

Tony Lee
15-09-2012, 10:32
If we are naughty and don't want to buy a Green card at the border - do they even ask to look at your ins certificate?

Not naughty at all.

Just incredibly stupid and extremely irresponsible. Other traditional Australian epithets spring to mind but no point in upsetting the locals by using them.

Perhaps rather than ask us, you should look at it from the point of view of the three kids you might run over and make quadriplegic 100 metres over the border. Could you support them for the rest of their miserable lives? Probably not because the wages inside prisons are pretty meagre.

Or you could do the RIGHT thing and buy it at the border as has already been stated in this topic.

Green card is continental system that allows you to choose which countries you want it valid for. Available for continental registered vehicles.

rottiontour
15-09-2012, 12:29
hi again, Rose,
thanks for your response, it `ll make us a little bit "cooler".
Sorry for my peculiar expression "german system". As far as i understood, the green card is the insurance certificate for the car insurance devellopped to prove the insurance in foreign countries.
I have a green certificate of a german insurance company, that the company will take over the costs in case of an accident outside germany. This is costfree for me, a service of all german car insurance companies and it is accepted as proof for the insurance of the car within europe. Generally a routine document for german travellers.
We were always asked at the borders to show this document...always!!. And they will not allow you to enter serbia without proof of valid insurance.
As far as i know the serbs and macedonians will ask you to pay for an national serb assurance, in case you do not have such a document. Costs about 100 euro, as far as i heard. You can get it at the border stations.
Once in macedonia (2005) i had no valid document and i had to pay for such a national short time insurance. It had been 60 euros for one month period. Cost will have exploded up to now, i guess.
Driving on serbian highways is not that problem, except the area around Belgrade. This is sometimes very crowded.

Sorry for my "broken english" but i hate google translator
Have a nice time on Peloponnes, we will travel down middle of next week to stay there over the winter time (first trial). It`s too cold for us here in the foggy north.

Best wishes
Bernd

barnybg
08-11-2012, 20:20
Hi Rosie,why not try Bulgaria(EU) for the ski-ing,closer to Greece and much cheaper ! 110 euro for Serbian insurance at the border,and you'll have to get it,as they check there...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS