PDA

View Full Version : Hay on Wye

spwt
13-09-2011, 14:17
I think I remember reading it was permissible to park overnight in the public car parks in Hay.

Can somebody tell me if that's right, please; and if so which one/s?
Thanks,

Barbt
13-09-2011, 16:23
Yes, you can camp in the Hay carpark - the big one down at the bottom where there are usually a lot of campers. This rule seems to apply to many car parks in Wales, particularly the car park in Abergavenny and the Morrisons supermarket carpark in Brecon.

PS - you can get fresh water in Abergavenny at the Shell petrol station - you can ask but they always say yes the tap is on the corner of the shop near the camping gas refills.

AndyC
13-09-2011, 16:48
Yes, you can camp in the Hay carpark - the big one down at the bottom where there are usually a lot of campers. This rule seems to apply to many car parks in Wales, particularly the car park in Abergavenny and the Morrisons supermarket carpark in Brecon.

PS - you can get fresh water in Abergavenny at the Shell petrol station - you can ask but they always say yes the tap is on the corner of the shop near the camping gas refills.

Many car parks in Powys allow motorhomes to stay for 1 night in 7, it's usually signed on the car park notice boards. I have the main ones listed here: www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml#Wales (http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml#Wales) The ones listed were confirmed by the Parking Manager of the County Council but it does seem that several of the other smaller car parks have the same 1 night in 7 rule.

AndyC

spwt
13-09-2011, 17:01
That's great.
Thank you both very much :wave:

Martinsouthwales
14-09-2011, 15:54
The Carpark in Hay is in Oxford Road. If coming from Glasbury/Brecon, turn right after passing the Cinema bookshop. you are allowed one night in 7. Long spaces are right at the bottom of the carpark.
Morrisons carpark in Brecon does NOT allow overnight parking but there is a local authority carpark quite close to Morrisons that does. GPS 51 56.764N 3 23.119W. There are two others in Brecon - Canal Road near to town, GPS 51 50.688N 3 23.412W and The Promenade, off Fenni Fach Road, right alongside the river. GPS 51 57.053N 3 24.214W. All three are for 1 night in 7 only. Please do not abuse this rule or we will loose this facility!
If you are visiting Wales and heading for Hay or Brecon From Abergavenny then Crickhowell makes for a pleasant afternoon and also has a 1 night in 7 Carpark at GPS 51 51,490N 3 8.118W. Nice chippy in Standard Street 2 secs from the van and also the Bear Hotel just 4 seconds from van! Other good pubs too.

Canalsman
14-09-2011, 16:21
You will find all of these car parks in the POI download ...

KCbones
17-09-2011, 12:23
I think I remember reading it was permissible to park overnight in the public car parks in Hay.

Can somebody tell me if that's right, please; and if so which one/s?
Thanks,

Yes you can, and has been stated 1 night in 7, The main four that run the scheme as far as I know are Brecon (not the Morrisons but close by by the bus terminals), Hay main car park, Crickhowell and Machynlleth. Beware of the weight restrictions or best not read the notice too closely.

AndyC
17-09-2011, 14:54
Yes you can, and has been stated 1 night in 7, The main four that run the scheme as far as I know are Brecon (not the Morrisons but close by by the bus terminals), Hay main car park, Crickhowell and Machynlleth. Beware of the weight restrictions or best not read the notice too closely.

Not all the car parks have a different charge for 'large vehicles', for those that do the parking manager told me that as long as the motorhome fits a single bay then you pay the car rate, if you need to overhang a second bay you should pay the 'over 3 tonnes' rate. Seems fair to me.

AndyC

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS