PDA

View Full Version : is there a printable list for the non ipod/satnav users we just use a map

maj114
13-09-2011, 14:42
:dance:

Canalsman
13-09-2011, 16:45
No there isn't - and would you fancy printing out 3,325 places anyway?

You need to download and install Google Earth, then open the KML file in the Google Earth folder :)

keithhep
13-09-2011, 20:20
If you go to the Garmin folder you can open the file called wild camp.csv in Excel. It gives you the names and the lat. Long. co-ordinates of the wild camping places.

mustardseed
13-09-2011, 22:26
:dance:

Sadly there isn't :-(
I've raised this before, but my pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears......
Therefore unless you know exactly where you might be going and likely to end up before you leave home, you have to a) have or acquire a device on which to download/ use these things; b) keep the device charged up whilst you are away somehow; c) organise mobile broadband or similar access, and just hope that wherever you end up will have a signal on the network(s) you have chosen....
I used the Google Maps version, bought myself a second hand netbook from EBay as wasn't prepared to risk leaving my (rather big and more expensive) laptop in the van, and it was too heavy for me to carry around everywhere with me in my current state of health, ran into big problems keeping it supplied with power as the battery life is under 4 hours (despite using most of the charge in my leisure battery trying to keep it going), and other big problems (which exacerbated the battery issue) not being able to get a decent signal from either the O2 or the 3 dongles I had purchased. Google Earth is very slow on a netbook, and even slower when there is a pathetically weak or intermittent mobile broadband signal, so just trying to look up a site in one place could (and did) easily use an hour of my battery time!

It's a shame as it's a wonderful resource, and I've got no intention of buying a satnav (like you I actually read maps and like to know where I am going, not be told to drive along one way streets and into rivers ;-)) just to read it.

Am wondering if it would help if some of us offered to transcribe a little bit each?

Canalsman
13-09-2011, 22:55
Sadly there isn't :-(
I've raised this before, but my pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears......

Am wondering if it would help if some of us offered to transcribe a little bit each?

It's not a case of pleas falling on deaf ears.

The points are logged using computer software, and can only realistically be done that way simply because there are so many of them, and because the places are continually being added to (and some removed).

Any hardcopy version will be bulky, slow and expensive to produce, and out of date before it's produced.

Quite simply it's unworkable.

There is an option that as been suggested - it does presume that you have the use of a laptop or netbook, granted - and it is to use Microsoft Autoroute whilst on your travels.

A less elegant solution is to use Google Earth, or Autoroute, to print off your own maps of the area or areas you intend to visit.

mikeandhismotorhome
14-09-2011, 08:01
"a) have or acquire a device on which to download/ use these things;"

Agreed, a sat nav can be bought for around 80-100.

"b) keep the device charged up whilst you are away somehow;"

Errm, fag lighter socket.

"c) organise mobile broadband or similar access, and just hope that wherever you end up will have a signal on the network(s) you have chosen...."

Sat navs dont need broadband.

I dont really see your gripe. I make a list or print out agoogle earth map of the area before departing then I can easily navigate to the locations with the sat nav because the POI names are the same as are on google earth. Simples.

Canalsman
14-09-2011, 10:19
I make a list or print out agoogle earth map of the area before departing then I can easily navigate to the locations with the sat nav because the POI names are the same as are on google earth. Simples.

Great suggestion - thanks :)

jennyp19
14-09-2011, 11:36
Make sure if you buy a sat nav you can download POI on to it. You can't do this on a lot of the new ones

maj114
14-09-2011, 15:05
:drive:ok yes i see the point of many sites but still cant quite get to grips with the idea im a female old lady who doesnt have all this new technology just an o2 payg mobile phone and a map book maybe the stupidest question yet but what does poi mean

is there anyway of breaking the list into areas ie scotland/cornwall or do you need the grid references
thanks for your answers guys please keep it simple for me :lol-053:

Canalsman
14-09-2011, 15:14
The abbreviation POI stands for 'Point of Interest'.

It's widely used with sat nav devices to allow you to navigate to a POI - e.g. banks, post offices, hotels, stations etc.

There are hundreds of different POI files that you can install on a sat nav - ours of course is just places you can wild camp.

I'd strongly advise you to download and install Google Earth on your computer.

If you read through this http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12549-google-earth-poi-installation.html hopefully things will be clearer.

If you have a printer connected to your printer, you can use Google Earth to print out maps with the wild camping spots marked with pushpins.

Regards

Chris

Firefox
14-09-2011, 15:30
I haven't tried it yet, but what is the possibility of using the KML files with Google Maps rather than Google Earth?

Google maps appears to offer KML support via Java: KML Support - KML - Google Code (http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/mapsSupport.html)

The reason I prefer Google Maps to Google Earth is

(a) You don't have to download or install anything, it works out of a browser.

(b) It seems to run much faster - I have trouble with Google Earth on some machines.

(c) The street view feature (where present) enables you to get a much better feel for a place before you decide to visit.

Edit: I think I found out how to do it

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=41136

(i) Upload a KML file to a website eg http://www.filehost.com/myaccount/locations.KML
(ii) Paste the URL of your file into the Google Map search form
(iii) Click search and it should display your POI on Google Maps

I didn't try it yet but it looks good in theory.

lotty
14-09-2011, 18:21
Make sure if you buy a sat nav you can download POI on to it. You can't do this on a lot of the new ones

i agree, i bought a Navman which is for HGV's and recommended by the caravan clubs, cost 170 and can't download POI's!!

So now i use google earth to look at the area and POI's before we leave. (We have a o2 and 3 dongle but these both are mostly useless!)

Lotty

Miz
14-09-2011, 18:33
i agree, i bought a Navman which is for HGV's and recommended by the caravan clubs, cost 170 and can't download POI's!!

So now i use google earth to look at the area and POI's before we leave. (We have a o2 and 3 dongle but these both are mostly useless!)

Lotty

Hi,

What model of NavMan have you got?

How long have you had it?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS