PDA

View Full Version : Fort william- beware

spirit driver
13-09-2011, 17:34
The council in Fort William apparently do not like wild campers.:wacko:

Heading into Fort William from the southern end, on A82, past the Corran ferry there is a parking area on the left on the loch side, and a height restriction has now been placed at the entrance, so motor homes can`t park. Seen a few vans parking outside the height restriction, because people are obviously angry at this.

Entering Fort William still on the A82, at the first round a bout, (nr the west end hotel) there is a large car park on the left. At the moment it is 1.50 to park all day, (free in winter) and on some car parks you can wild camp. We pulled onto this car park one morning, so we could walk into town, and when we returned to our van we had a notice which had been pushed under the windscreen wipers. It read ]" we hope you are not thinking about sleeping overnight in your camper van, if you do you will get a 25.00 fine. There are plenty of caravan and camping site in Fort William please use them, the highlands council". We did notice, there were a lot of council wagons that drive onto the car park and around the area. We noticed that a lot of motor homes were set up for the night, as we drove past a few times, but don`t know if they got a ticket or a warning.

Please be aware of where you park, if you go to Fort William in your motor home, and are thinking of wild camping.

UPDATE TO THIS POST ON FORT WILLIAM 1 OCTOBER 2011

In the Lochaber News, September 22nd 2011 the spotlight is on Motor homes, it reads :-

" Camper vans in the spotlight. The local tourism group is urging action over uncaring camper-van owners, who are blocking parking areas and laybys and even dumping their rubbish at beauty spots, in the area.

A meeting of the Glen Spean and Great Glen Marketing group heard a report that one camper van owner even emptied its toilet out near the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge.

It was claimed at this meeting that there was even a van website listing lay bys, including Loch Lochy where vans could park overnight, although stopping in these laybys is illegal.

The group decided to raise concerns with the Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council and Forestry Commission."
END OF ARTICLE....

Maybe some camper van owners do behave like this, those that don`t bother to get to know or abide by the Camping code.

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland. Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence.

runnach
13-09-2011, 18:13

It read ]" we hope you are not thinking about sleeping overnight in your camper van, if you do you will get a 25.00 fine. There are plenty of caravan and camping site in Fort William please use them, the highlands council". We did notice, there were a lot of council wagons that drive onto the car park and around the area. We noticed that a lot of motor homes were set up for the night, as we drove past a few times, but don`t know if they got a ticket or a warning.

Please be aware of where you park, if you go to Fort William in your motor home, and are thinking of wild camping.

Fort Bills a dump anyway, good for fuel and stocking up, if I received a ticket same as what you received, I'd be right round to council HQ and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Then promptly reminding officials, that when you are in the area, you spend money, same money council extort via local taxes, in effect, the tourist is contributing to their wages, these clowns make me angry!!!

Ps, sue em, say your van got damaged when individual was ticketing you :idea:

Brandyman
13-09-2011, 18:14

Heading into Fort William from the southern end, on A82, past the Corran ferry there is a parking area on the left on the loch side, and a height restriction has now been placed at the entrance, so motor homes can`t park. Seen a few vans parking outside the height restriction, because people are obviously angry at this.

Entering Fort William still on the A82, at the first round a bout, (nr the west end hotel) there is a large car park on the left. At the moment it is 1.50 to park all day, (free in winter) and on some car parks you can wild camp. We pulled onto this car park one morning, so we could walk into town, and when we returned to our van we had a notice which had been pushed under the windscreen wipers. It read ]" we hope you are not thinking about sleeping overnight in your camper van, if you do you will get a 25.00 fine. There are plenty of caravan and camping site in Fort William please use them, the highlands council". We did notice, there were a lot of council wagons that drive onto the car park and around the area. We noticed that a lot of motor homes were set up for the night, as we drove past a few times, but don`t know if they got a ticket or a warning.

When we were in Fort William asked manager of LIDL if we could park over night we got permission no problems in fact 4 vans parked overnight
she said people also came into store and spent money that's what its all about ;;;Merv brandyman.

Airecraft
13-09-2011, 18:16
It read ]" we hope you are not thinking about sleeping overnight in your camper van, if you do you will get a 25.00 fine. There are plenty of caravan and camping site in Fort William please use them, the highlands council".

This sounds like nonsense. A few years ago I wouldn't have believed a local authority would threaten people like this without a legal basis for doing so but I now know
differently, having been subjected to groundless threats by my own council for parking my motorhome outside my own house during a sporting event. Fines or clamping can
only be imposed if unambiguous parking conditions are clearly displayed before you park. A note under your wipers is meaningless.
Furthermore, do the Highlands Council harass picnickers for not using local restaurants? Providing a facility is not a basis for trying to intimidate people into using it. Local
authorities need to realize that most "wild campers" have spent 000's of pounds in buying their vans, with 20%+ going to HMRC, and owners only want the same right to use public facilities as everybody else, without being exploited by greedy campsite owners charging 20 or more to park in a wet field.

sagart
13-09-2011, 18:30
The Loch Linhe carpark has had a height barrier for nearly two years, a nuisance as my wife cannot walk and is therefore prevented from enjoying the views others can.
I had a similar notice in Fort William, it lacked the official Highland Council logo which is printed in English & Gealic and my local councillor has never heard of such an order being passed.

Rubbertramp
13-09-2011, 19:02
Unlikley to be the highland council issuing notices....Probably a local campsite owner...Had a similar situation while in Dumfries and Galloway two years back...two suspicious looking guys fixing no overnight parking signs to the fence....When a car came into the carpark where we were tucked in around the corner they would hide what they were doing. I went over for a friendly chat and eventually they admitted that they were working for a local campsite owner.

morsefields
13-09-2011, 19:26
a few weeks back I parked overnight in the forestry commission car park on the Glen Nevis road along with other vans and people in their tents.

kimbowbill
13-09-2011, 19:28
Unlikley to be the highland council issuing notices....Probably a local campsite owner...Had a similar situation while in Dumfries and Galloway two years back...two suspicious looking guys fixing no overnight parking signs to the fence....When a car came into the carpark where we were tucked in around the corner they would hide what they were doing. I went over for a friendly chat and eventually they admitted that they were working for a local campsite owner.

your spot on RT, this happend to us last year and the year before, so i decided to contact the HC, they issue no such notices and told me to inform the distrubutor of the posters that this is classed as flytipping, we never got the chance as we were heading off home, so for anyone else who spots the culprit, jus tinform him that they can be prosecuted for flytipping, as for the height barrier, this has been up for the last 4 years i have travelled up there

Jen xx

gaffer
13-09-2011, 19:28
I stayed at coalasnacan campsite in july every time i went into fort william the ten days i was there . Two carvans were in that carpark legs down steps out and water butts out and connected.deck chairs at the front Isaid to my nephew they would spoil it for everybody,

rienza
13-09-2011, 19:39
I find it hard to believe that the HRC would do this.

They went to some trouble putting lines on the car park inbetween Morrisons and Lidl.

Would be very shortsighted of them if they did. Motor homes contribute to Fort William's economy.

kernowprickles
13-09-2011, 19:42
Wish we had known about Lidls enlightened attitude towards Wildcampers, as we were there yesterday, spending money!! and could have stayed. However, we went off towards Mallaig, on the A830, and found plenty of places to stop, particularly after Glenfinnan. Our choice was a bit limited as Himself wanted freesat tv that evening, and the sat dish doesn't like trees. However, we found a suitable layby, which the sat dish liked, and our only worry was whether the battery would hold out long enough to watch Doc Martin! (It did!!) The weather was foul, but not as bad as the lower part of Scotland.

We are now parked up at my favourite site near Arisaig - Invercaimbe; hope to stay at least a week as it is right on the beach. ( Invercaimbe Campsite, Arisaig, Scotland - YouTube (http://youtu.be/mhRyimWICkY) ) Did get a walk there this afternoon, when it finally stopped raining!

Rubbertramp
13-09-2011, 19:49
I think we maybe missing something here too...It is a legal right to wildcamp anywhere in Scotland under their access law...as long as it is in a public place and you don't offend or annoy anyone....private land too with the landowner's permission.

kimbowbill
13-09-2011, 20:10
Wish we had known about Lidls enlightened attitude towards Wildcampers, as we were there yesterday, spending money!! and could have stayed. However, we went off towards Mallaig, on the A830, and found plenty of places to stop, particularly after Glenfinnan. Our choice was a bit limited as Himself wanted freesat tv that evening, and the sat dish doesn't like trees. However, we found a suitable layby, which the sat dish liked, and our only worry was whether the battery would hold out long enough to watch Doc Martin! (It did!!) The weather was foul, but not as bad as the lower part of Scotland.

We are now parked up at my favourite site near Arisaig - Invercaimbe; hope to stay at least a week as it is right on the beach. ( Invercaimbe Campsite, Arisaig, Scotland - YouTube (http://youtu.be/mhRyimWICkY) ) Did get a walk there this afternoon, when it finally stopped raining!

Beautiful, thank you fro sharing and bringing tears to my eyes, what a gorgeuos place, spent many o night there xx

rienza
13-09-2011, 20:13
I think we maybe missing something here too...It is a legal right to wildcamp anywhere in Scotland under their access law...as long as it is in a public place and you don't offend or annoy anyone....private land too with the landowner's permission.

Think you will find that it only applies to camping and not motor homing Rubbertramp

Rubbertramp
13-09-2011, 20:29
I beg to differ and with much respect Rienza...We all know you can pass through all areas in Scotland including private land but if there is public access for your vehicle to laybys and carparks, beaches and clifftops... then it is legal stop the night.

runnach
13-09-2011, 20:39
This may help to clarify?

Freedom to Roam (http://www.gm0axy.ic24.net/freedom.htm)

Cheers...........

joncris
13-09-2011, 20:41
your spot on RT, this happend to us last year and the year before, so i decided to contact the HC, they issue no such notices and told me to inform the distrubutor of the posters that this is classed as flytipping, we never got the chance as we were heading off home, so for anyone else who spots the culprit, jus tinform him that they can be prosecuted for flytipping, as for the height barrier, this has been up for the last 4 years i have travelled up there

Jen xx

They are also gulty of Fraud as per the Fraud Act 2006 by issue a false instrument intended to deceive

rienza
13-09-2011, 20:51
I beg to differ and with much respect Rienza...We all know you can pass through all areas in Scotland including private land but if there is public access for your vehicle to laybys and carparks, beaches and clifftops... then it is legal stop the night.

Not according to the Outdoor Access Code Rubbertramp. Under activities it only applies to tents.

dunk
13-09-2011, 20:54
hi there

we have been many times & there is always at least 30-50 motorhomes in town & many more on the roads around .
this most bring in lots of to the local shops.

dunk

Rubbertramp
13-09-2011, 21:38
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/holyrood-park-camping-guide.pdf
If you have to camp by the roadside:
✓ Avoid overused sites
✓ Take care with toilet hygiene
✓ Pitch late and leave early
✓ Always use offi cial sites for chemical
and grey waste disposal

OK this implies to me that it is not illegal to overnight in Scotland...The road traffic act defines the "roadside" as within 15 metres of a road.

Firefox
14-09-2011, 11:29
You should be OK on or within 1.5 m of a road if not causing obstruction (highways land).

I'm pretty sure the Scotland wild camping thing on national parks and wild moorland, in strict terms, applies only to tents, but a blind eye has generally been turned to motorhomes venturing further off the road than 1.5m.

Brenda Donald
14-09-2011, 15:08

We've also been there on a Sat and had the council worker actually knock on the window to point out the signs plastered around the car park. promptly told him thank you but I could read!

Barbt
14-09-2011, 15:24
We have just returned from two weeks in Scotland and whilst in the area of Fort William we didn't have any problem at all wild camping and we saw a lot of other vehicles camping overnight without any problems.

Ste
14-09-2011, 20:06
Heard this story before. At the time it was believed to be a local hotelier who reckoned it spolit the view for his customers.

However, if anyone catched this person, just point to the massive green roadsign next to the CP that shows it as being designated by the council for caravans & coaches.

macbob
14-09-2011, 20:59

Jen xx

Surely you meant to say Flyposting, not Flytipping?

kimbowbill
14-09-2011, 22:12
Surely you meant to say Flyposting, not Flytipping?

no, i meant to say FLYTIPPING because thats what terminology was used by the HC,

macbob
15-09-2011, 19:19
no, i meant to say FLYTIPPING because thats what terminology was used by the HC,

Flytipping = It is the illegal deposit of any waste onto land, i.e., waste dumped or tipped on a site with no licence to accept waste.

kimbowbill
15-09-2011, 19:50
Flytipping = It is the illegal deposit of any waste onto land, i.e., waste dumped or tipped on a site with no licence to accept waste.

I know what it means thank you, like i said, i was quoting what the HC said, dont you have anything better to do than pick up on what people are typing, this thread has had 744 views, there has to be one,

macbob
15-09-2011, 20:53
I know what it means thank you, like i said, i was quoting what the HC said, dont you have anything better to do than pick up on what people are typing, this thread has had 744 views, there has to be one,

now now dont get abusive!

Henrym
16-09-2011, 00:32
In addition to Glen Nevis (wich I'm hoping to try) ...
When you go north from Ft William, either take Mallaig road, left round Loch Eil on A861 to several parking places, e.g. at Garvan
Alternatively, northbound on A82, turn right at Torlandy (NN 143 771), right again and follow track to large landscaped car park at NN145 764, the Nevis North Face car park.

georgert1
16-09-2011, 13:56
When we were in Fort William asked manager of LIDL if we could park over night we got permission no problems in fact 4 vans parked overnight
she said people also came into store and spent money that's what its all about ;;;Merv brandyman.

/I can confirm that overnighting is allowed in Lidl car park, I saw four motorhomes parked up for the night only last night, 15/09.

spirit driver
01-10-2011, 14:22
a few weeks back I parked overnight in the forestry commission car park on the Glen Nevis road along with other vans and people in their tents.

UPDATE TO THIS POST ON FORT WILLIAM 1 OCTOBER 2011

In the Lochaber News, September 22nd 2011 the spotlight is on Motor homes, it reads :-

" Camper vans in the spotlight. The local tourism group is urging action over uncaring camper-van owners, who are blocking parking areas and laybys and even dumping their rubbish at beauty spots, in the area.

A meeting of the Glen Spean and Great Glen Marketing group heard a report that one camper van owner even emptied its toilet out near the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge.

It was claimed at this meeting that there was even a van website listing lay bys, including Loch Lochy where vans could park overnight, although stopping in these lay bys is illegal.

The group decided to raise concerns with the Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council and Forestry Commission."

Maybe some campervan owners do behave like this, those that don`t bother to get to know or abide by the Camping code.

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland. Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence. :mad1:

spirit driver
01-10-2011, 14:24

UPDATE TO POST ON FORT WILLIAM 1 OCTOBER 2011

It was claimed at this meeting that there was even a van website listing lay bys, including Loch Lochy where vans could park overnight, although stopping in these lay bys is illegal.

Maybe some campervan owners do behave like this, those that don`t bother to get to know or abide by the Camping code.

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland. Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence.

spirit driver
01-10-2011, 14:34

IS THE LOCAL TOURISM GROUP ANNOYED OR OFFENDED BY US ?

UPDATE TO POST ON FORT WILLIAM CAMPING A82, 1 OCTOBER 2011

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland. Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence. :mad1:

spirit driver
01-10-2011, 14:42
hi there

we have been many times & there is always at least 30-50 motorhomes in town & many more on the roads around .
this most bring in lots of to the local shops.

dunk

Yes, this is true, lots of motor homes in Fort William. But what about this ????

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland and Fort William.
Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence.

spirit driver
01-10-2011, 14:47
Fort Bills a dump anyway, good for fuel and stocking up, if I received a ticket same as what you received, I'd be right round to council HQ and tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Then promptly reminding officials, that when you are in the area, you spend money, same money council extort via local taxes, in effect, the tourist is contributing to their wages, these clowns make me angry!!!

Ps, sue em, say your van got damaged when individual was ticketing you :idea:

All very well and good what you say, but do you get the feeling that when we motor home users ride into town they are snarling at us under their breath ? Why ? Look at this...

IS THE LOCAL TOURISM GROUP ANNOYED OR OFFENDED BY US ?

It was claimed at this meeting that there was even a van website listing laybys, including Loch Lochy where vans could park overnight, although stopping in these laybys is illegal.

END OF ARTICLE

However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this, because I feel we are all being tarred with the same brush. We bring a lot of revenue to Scotland. Is there a hidden agenda here, for example they like our money, but not our presence. We need to find our voice. :mad1:

spirit driver
02-10-2011, 09:30
In addition to Glen Nevis (wich I'm hoping to try) ...
When you go north from Ft William, either take Mallaig road, left round Loch Eil on A861 to several parking places, e.g. at Garvan Alternatively, northbound on A82, turn right at Torlandy (NN 143 771), right again and follow track to large landscaped car park at NN145 764, the Nevis North Face car park.

WHAT ABOUT THIS THEN ?????

UPDATE TO POST ON FORT WILLIAM BEWARE, 1 OCTOBER 2011

In the Lochaber News, September 22nd 2011, the spotlight is on Motor homes, it reads :-

It was claimed at this meeting that there was even a van website listing lay bys, including Loch Lochy where vans could park overnight, although stopping in these laybys is illegal.

The group decided to raise concerns with the Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council and Forestry Commission." END OF ARTICLE.

[I]Maybe some campervan owners do behave like this, those that don`t bother to get to know or abide by the Camping code.

maingate
02-10-2011, 13:04
Thanks spirit driver.

I think we have got your message now.

ellieloy
02-10-2011, 20:08
I have written to the group cited in the local press as someone who is both a Scottish Homeowner and keen to uphold the local economy, and protect places of beauty .... but also as a motorhome owner and wild camper.

One of the issues that I have raised is the fact that we tend not stay on registered sites in spite of being members of the camping and caravanning club because a) we show dogs and dont want to disturb other people on over populated sites, and b) because we have adopted children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders who do not cope well in crowded places, with other kids, or with changes to their routine. Perhaps they could remember things like this ..... aswell as the fact that many of us are responsible campers (actually far more responsible than locals to our cottage who seem unable to pick up their dogs' droppings when they take it to the beach several times a day),we feed into the tourism industry and support the local economy.

sagart
03-10-2011, 08:19
About this claim that one owner was seen emptying his toilet near the Spean Bridge memorial.
I asked one of my irate Oban contacts on Friday, why, if someone had seen this disgusting and, probably illegal act they had not either:
1. Taken a picture on their mobile phone if they had one..
2. Noted down the vehicles model & make
3. Noted its registration number
4. Immediately contacted the police
Her answer was, it must be true or the paper wouldn't have printed it

Pollik
03-10-2011, 10:38
The Loch Linhe carpark has had a height barrier for nearly two years, a nuisance as my wife cannot walk and is therefore prevented from enjoying the views others can.
I had a similar notice in Fort William, it lacked the official Highland Council logo which is printed in English & Gealic and my local councillor has never heard of such an order being passed.

Check with the Highland Council...if they didn't issue it, take it to the police.

"However, what are responsible camper van owners going to do about this"

Personally, I will take myself and my MH somewhere where we are welcome. The more I hear that campsites are 'suitable', the more I realise that they don't have any idea idea about motorhoming, and the more likely it is that I won't use them, except maybe occasionally.

I think motorhomers, especially wilders, need someone with energy, determination, rationality and time to start a movement in the UK to promote the development of aires, getting them advertised (Vicarious) and improving local tourism. Starting with the known existing aires that are not listed, then working up through places that do not have the antsy approach to holiday makers. Leave the Scarboroughs and Fort Williams to stew in their own general bigotry and nastiness.

We have just come back from a 13 week trip round the Scandinavia, spending the last week on a single aire in Brittany...grass, lake, free water, free waste, free electricity. The locals were friendly...the young teacher with her class on a nature ramble stopped to chat, we played petanque with the locals, spent a lot in the shops. We felt welcome and wanted.

Which am I going to choose - Brittany or Ft William? /shrug

Polly

spirit driver
03-10-2011, 12:47
About this claim that one owner was seen emptying his toilet near the Spean Bridge memorial.
I asked one of my irate Oban contacts on Friday, why, if someone had seen this disgusting and, probably illegal act they had not either:
1. Taken a picture on their mobile phone if they had one..
2. Noted down the vehicles model & make
3. Noted its registration number
4. Immediately contacted the police
Her answer was, it must be true or the paper wouldn't have printed it

Reply..................
Yes, my sentiments exactly. I am a realist, facts and proof, when you are in meetings are so important. It has happened throughout history though, that some folks with, (I am important), big ego`s, from organization, attending local meetings, tend to generalize, and bring up stories from a third party, and then sensationalize and whip up those present, into an alarmist discussion, to prove a point, which may come from their own, bigoted, ancient, fixed, belief system. It is bad practice to make a statement of fact, and not be able to back it up with proof and then allow facts to be printed in a newspaper. Newspaper editors will print almost anything, and don`t always check facts, coming from people in local roles, who hold important positions in the local community, newspapers assume these dignitaries are OK. Not always, today.

This sort of meeting activity, (e.g stating somebody has done or said something), is what years ago could have started conflict between clans, tribes and nations.

In fact today it is not pleasant to hear motor home owners, who distribute their wealth in various localities throughout the land, generally maligned in this way. :cry:

spirit driver
03-10-2011, 13:28
/I can confirm that overnighting is allowed in Lidl car park, I saw four motorhomes parked up for the night only last night, 15/09.

REPLY....October 3rd 2011

Yes, Lidl car park is OK, but bet it has been noisy whilst the fair has been on, in front of there, for two weeks !!!!! :sleep-027:

spirit driver
03-10-2011, 13:33

REPLY....October 3rd 2011

Yes, Lidl car park is OK, but bet it has been noisy whilst the fair has been on, in front of there, for two weeks !!!!! :sleep-027:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS