PDA

View Full Version : Studland / Corfe Castle

Nosha
23-04-2007, 09:10
As well as the nice viewing point layby on the Corfe to Studland chain link ferry road (B3351) with FIVE 'vans in last Saturday there was also a caravan (bloody cheek!) wild camping in the large car park at the base of Corfe Castle on the junction with the A351 & B3351.

walkers
23-04-2007, 18:03
As well as the nice viewing point layby on the Corfe to Studland chain link ferry road (B3351) with FIVE 'vans in last Saturday there was also a caravan (bloody cheek!) wild camping in the large car park at the base of Corfe Castle on the junction with the A351 & B3351.
just a thought but are not most of what we drive MOTOR CARAVANS, why should a tailwagger not join in the freedom?:)

Nosha
24-04-2007, 17:48
Sorry Walkers, it was only my weak attempt at humour!!!! I couldn't care less who wild camps! M/H's, RV's, Caravans, Trucks... The more the merrier!!!

(It was the first time I've ever seen a caravan do it - apart from those in Hobby's towed by Transit vans!!)

cipro
24-04-2007, 17:58
Sorry Walkers, it was only my weak attempt at humour!!!! I couldn't care less who wild camps! M/H's, RV's, Caravans, Trucks... The more the merrier!!!

(It was the first time I've ever seen a caravan do it - apart from those in Hobby's towed by Transit vans!!)

A few people at work have now changed to mh i think because they are
more affordable these days!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool:

walkers
26-04-2007, 05:50

no need to apologise i have a motorhome too but just felt we shouldn't forget if we want to be able to do it then we shouldn't object to caravanners doing it too, the only time i see any objection is when the tranny pickups and the caravans filll the layby and stay till a court order is got, they are who spoils the freedom we so desire.:)

SteveJ
25-08-2007, 20:06
Some GPS Coordinates for info:

Layby viewing point on B3351 Corfe Castle to to Studland Road: N50.63624 W1.99299

Layby at base of castle mound (Not The NT carpark) N50.64136 W2.05936

Nosha
06-09-2007, 16:08
Stayed there last Friday, the caravan was there plus 7 m/h's and a demountable!!!
Very busy and great appart from a couple of jealous night-time tooters!

There was also a couple of Hymers in the carpark at the foot of Corfe Castle.

Nosha
29-09-2010, 16:44
This layby now has the dreaded 'Parking for cars and motorcycles only' as of 21/09/2010

Canalsman
29-09-2010, 19:18
This layby now has the dreaded 'Parking for cars and motorcycles only' as of 21/09/2010

Which layby are you referring to - there are two mentioned in the thread ...

Regards

Chris

ratporchrico
03-01-2011, 15:57
Chris - haven't been on here for a while so only just seen your post. The Lookout Laybye on the Corfe/Studland road has been posted off limits to all but cars and m/cycles. Signs went up early 2010. Shame really but it became impossible for 'normal' parking and some thoughless a**holes left the place like a rubbish tip once or twice so the council responded to complaints and banned motorhomes. Another one bites the dust.

Wildcampers can usually get away with it in ones and twos but word soon gets around and then the local authority is forced to act on complaints. Dunno what the answer is really. The pressure on sites is immense in the south. Thankfully we still have Scotland and Ireland but for how much longer is anybody's guess.

Thanks for all you hard work keeping this database up to date. It's a great resource.

maureenandtom
03-01-2011, 16:17
"Parking for Cars and Motorcycles only."

And this is in a layby on a public road? Paid for by all of us? Not just paid for by cars and motorcycles only? Have I got this right? It sounds perilously close to a local authority stepping outside their powers. Does anybody know if a sign like this has any legal authority? What immediately comes into my mind is; “Who do these people think they are?”

Though, we do accept what we're told quite easily. A little too easily in my opinion.

Suntor 100
03-01-2011, 17:32
Must say I parked there and thought what a wonderful view a couple of years back, as said above great disappointment in the council taking this stance or is it the NT thats put the sign up? I personally would still park up there for a break but would'nt risk it over night and take my chances, after all if your in need of a break and unfit to drive from tiredness ...what can they do. GL all.

Canalsman
03-01-2011, 18:36
Chris - haven't been on here for a while so only just seen your post. The Lookout Laybye on the Corfe/Studland road has been posted off limits to all but cars and m/cycles. Signs went up early 2010. Shame really but it became impossible for 'normal' parking and some thoughless a**holes left the place like a rubbish tip once or twice so the council responded to complaints and banned motorhomes. Another one bites the dust.

Wildcampers can usually get away with it in ones and twos but word soon gets around and then the local authority is forced to act on complaints. Dunno what the answer is really. The pressure on sites is immense in the south. Thankfully we still have Scotland and Ireland but for how much longer is anybody's guess.

Thanks for all you hard work keeping this database up to date. It's a great resource.

Thanks for that - I've updated the database accordingly ...

rommel
03-01-2011, 19:36
Peoples attitude to wild camping is pretty much the same it is to immigration, you see the odd motorhome and don't take to much notice but when scores of motohomes descend on a particular place as is being advocated in a seperate thread at Cromford you can bet your life that pretty shortly no parking for motorhomes will spring up at the behest of concerned residends. Even in France if you look at their wild camping site they ask you to spread youself thinly and take your rubbish home,

camperbob
04-01-2011, 18:48
Peoples attitude to wild camping is pretty much the same it is to immigration, you see the odd motorhome and don't take to much notice but when scores of motohomes descend on a particular place as is being advocated in a seperate thread at Cromford you can bet your life that pretty shortly no parking for motorhomes will spring up at the behest of concerned residends. Even in France if you look at their wild camping site they ask you to spread youself thinly and take your rubbish home,

you have it in one. too many people not enough of england.

John H
04-01-2011, 19:06

Spot on! I live near the Cromford site and have always been concerned about the use of it because there has been for several years a notice banning overnighting in motorhomes which many seem to be choosing to ignore - this is not doing our cause any good at all. The only thing we have in our favour when trying to convince local authorities to let us stay is that we will behave responsibly. This kind of behaviour allows then to tell us to get knotted and I can't say I blame them. We only stop where there aren't banning notices.

JohnsCrossMotorHomes
04-01-2011, 21:28
Well if your down Poole way you can always pak up overnight in the Thistle Hotel Car Park just by the Quay.

Pay the car park attendant in the morning, ignore sign paying hotel.

On the boat at the moment, benn cold outside though!

Peter

maureenandtom
04-01-2011, 22:24
Sorry John. I disagree with you.

I have no problem with councils exercising powers granted to them by our democratic process. I have great problems with councils assuming powers they don't have. Especially if the assumed powers are exercised by unelected officials who believe they can make their own rules and will do if they can get away with it.

We do ourselves no good if we live in fear of what they will do next if we don't let them get away with what they want to do now. You have the right to your opinion that defiance does our cause no good but it is only your opinion and others have the equal right to theirs. Others may well believe differently and have good cause for their opinions.

Who erected the notice near your home? What authority did they have to erect the notice? Why isn't it enforced? Has it been ignored because it has no legal authority? If it has no legal authority, why is it there? As a local resident, have you asked these questions?

Back on topic. I believe a layby is part of a highway though I don't know for sure. As such I believe it is as much for the use of other motor vehicles as it is for cars and motorcycles. I don't believe it is legal to ban parking by other motor vehicles. I also don't believe councils should be allowed to go their own way with this sort of thing. When they assume powers they don't have I believe we have a right, some would say a duty, to challenge them. I don't think we should be swayed by the fear of what they will do next if we park there. If I paid council tax in that area I would be asking questions. Poole (is it Poole?) have admitted a history of making up their own unenforceable traffic rules. To do so is a fraud on council tax payers locally and visitors alike.

I vaguely remember, from my early motor caravanning days, a debate about laybys in Parliament in which overnighting in laybys was discussed. From my memory a time limit of eight hours was mentioned giving the opportunity (this was mentioned I think) of overnighting.

I'll see if I can find it and if I can then I'll post the reference.

maureenandtom
04-01-2011, 22:36
The reference was amazingly easy to find:

PARKING OF CARAVANS ON LAY-BYS (Hansard, 26 June 1984) (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1984/jun/26/parking-of-caravans-on-lay-bys)

I will now read it again. I'm surprised that I remember this from 1984; I haven't been motorcaravanning that long, only from 1990 but I've even impressed myself by remembering it. I suppose it still has relevance today?

John H
05-01-2011, 07:50
Sorry John. I disagree with you.

I have no problem with councils exercising powers granted to them by our democratic process. I have great problems with councils assuming powers they don't have. Especially if the assumed powers are exercised by unelected officials who believe they can make their own rules and will do if they can get away with it.

We do ourselves no good if we live in fear of what they will do next if we don't let them get away with what they want to do now. You have the right to your opinion that defiance does our cause no good but it is only your opinion and others have the equal right to theirs. Others may well believe differently and have good cause for their opinions.

Who erected the notice near your home? What authority did they have to erect the notice? Why isn't it enforced? Has it been ignored because it has no legal authority? If it has no legal authority, why is it there? As a local resident, have you asked these questions?

The car park in Cromford is a Council-run car park and the notice has the authority of a local Council by-law. You may not like the rule but it is a perfectly legitimate and properly passed rule. As for enforcement, you will have to ask the Council why they don't enforce the rule all the time - that is not my point. My point is that if we as a motorhoming community want local authorities to treat us reasonably we do not achieve that by giving them ammunition to fire back at us. Some local authorities enforce their by-laws; others are more lax but if we want them all to be more lax we stand a better chance if we are law-abiding. There are other areas nearby Cromford where there are no banning notices - but more notices are appearing and if we are not careful all the opportunities will be extinguished.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 07:51
Ater reading Hansard.

The intentions of our sovereign Parliament are clear.

Quote from Hansard.

“We want laybys to be used for temporary stops—for a meal or an overnight stop. “

So now we know what laybys are for. Who do these people think they are who think they know better, who think they can overrule our Parliament?

John H
05-01-2011, 08:06
Ater reading Hansard.

The intentions of our sovereign Parliament are clear.

Quote from Hansard.

“We want laybys to be used for temporary stops—for a meal or an overnight stop. “

So now we know what laybys are for. Who do these people think they are who think they know better, who think they can overrule our Parliament?

Sorry to disabuse you but the debate you refer to was just that - a debate - with several different views being expressed. The quote was simply one among many - it was not part of any statute.

As for local councils "over-ruling" Parliament, the reality is that the Highways Authority in the case of roads other than motorways and trunk roads is usually the County Council. Sometimes County Councils may delegate some or all of their powers to District councils. As I said earlier, you may not like a rule but that does not make it legitimate to disobey that rule - unless you are prepared to take the consequences.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 08:33
It's my belief that the Act was passed into law. If you have a later Act modifying this Act then you will be doing us all a service if you quote it.

Without that then I believe the clause 'A person who parks a caravan for more than eight hours at any one time on a lay-by adjoining a trunk road commits an offence.' still applies.

It is reasonable to observe Parliament's intentions for passing that Act. No other Member disagreed with Sir Hector.

I don't know why you argue. This is clear support from Parliament for overnight parking in laybys.

And, oh yes, I'm prepared to take the consequences if necessary. And, oh yes, I would make the people who erected the notices show their right to do it. In my opinion we all should.

I should just make a comment about "trunk" roads who you admit the Council has no jurisdiction over. I didn't think to point out that Hansard makes clear that Parliament was discussing Trunk roads.

We do not want permanent parking on the verges of our trunk roads. We want laybys to be used for temporary stops—for a meal or an overnight stop.

John H
05-01-2011, 09:48
It's my belief that the Act was passed into law. If you have a later Act modifying this Act then you will be doing us all a service if you quote it.

Without that then I believe the clause 'A person who parks a caravan for more than eight hours at any one time on a lay-by adjoining a trunk road commits an offence.' still applies.

It is reasonable to observe Parliament's intentions for passing that Act. No other Member disagreed with Sir Hector.

I don't know why you argue. This is clear support from Parliament for overnight parking in laybys.

And, oh yes, I'm prepared to take the consequences if necessary. And, oh yes, I would make the people who erected the notices show their right to do it. In my opinion we all should.

I should just make a comment about "trunk" roads who you admit the Council has no jurisdiction over. I didn't think to point out that Hansard makes clear that Parliament was discussing Trunk roads.

We do not want permanent parking on the verges of our trunk roads. We want laybys to be used for temporary stops—for a meal or an overnight stop.

I "argue" as you put it in order to establish the reality.
1. If you scroll to the bottom of the page of Hansard you quote you will see that the clause you quote was withdrawn.
2. If an MP makes a statement that nobody disagrees with it doesn't make it law - it probably means there were only a handful of members present (and some of them just to qualifry for their attendance allowance!)
3. I made the point about trunk roads because you implied that the local authority had over-stepped its jurisdiction by putting up the banning notices at Cromford - they haven't

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 10:38
This is getting tiresome.

I read it as the amendment to the clause was withdrawn. But, there you are I'm obliged m'lud. Can we find out what the Act as passed said? That should be possible. Tell me what it now says.

Why, oh why can't we just take comfort where it is offered? Here is a defence if a council wants to pick our pocket. I think you and I are fundamentally different in our outlook and, it's true, there are many who think like you and jealously guard the priveleges of local government. There are many, like me. who jealously guard against local government overstepping their authority.

An unworthy thought enters my head. John, are you by chance an ex-councillor or perhaps one of our employees on the council? Nah, ignore that. Can't be.

John H
05-01-2011, 10:49
This is getting tiresome.

I read it as the amendment to the clause was withdrawn. But, there you are I'm obliged m'lud. Can we find out what the Act as passed said? That should be possible. Tell me what it now says.

Why, oh why can't we just take comfort where it is offered? Here is a defence if a council wants to pick our pocket. I think you and I are fundamentally different in our outlook and, it's true, there are many who think like you and jealously guard the priveleges of local government. There are many, like me. who jealously guard against local government overstepping their authority.

An unworthy thought enters my head. John, are you by chance an ex-councillor or perhaps one of our employees on the council? Nah, ignore that. Can't be.

I don't know where you get the idea that I "jelously guard the privileges of local government". If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that I, as an ex-councillor, have very little respect for most local councillors, who are in it for the prestige and have to be forced to do anything of note. The point I have been making - and I thought it was clear - is that you cannot say that a council is overstepping its authority just because they pass a perfectly legitimate by-law that you disagree with. Oppose it by all means. Try to get it changed by all means. But you do not advance the cause by claiming they have no right to do what they have a perfect right to do.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 11:14
Oh, bother, bother, bother.

Can I assert my right to know that a legitimate bye-law has been passed?

I've just spent fruitless minutes trying to find this bye-law. Either, it's to do with a trunk road and there won't be one, or it hasn't been published, or it's no more than a wish list from the council. My money is on wish list.

Let me see this bye-law. Go on. Show me where it is. Then I will apologise as sweetly as I can. But, go on. Show me. Should be simple enough. You have made an assertion. I dispute it. Show me. If you can't, will you apologise as sweetly?

John H
05-01-2011, 11:50
Oh, bother, bother, bother.

Can I assert my right to know that a legitimate bye-law has been passed?

I've just spent fruitless minutes trying to find this bye-law. Either, it's to do with a trunk road and there won't be one, or it hasn't been published, or it's no more than a wish list from the council. My money is on wish list.

Let me see this bye-law. Go on. Show me where it is. Then I will apologise as sweetly as I can. But, go on. Show me. Should be simple enough. You have made an assertion. I dispute it. Show me. If you can't, will you apologise as sweetly?

Everybody has the right to access any law or by-law of the land. The rules governing car parking at Cromford Canal are determined by the Debyshire Dales (Offstreet Parking Places) Order of 2008. If you look up the Council website you will find further details. If that is not sufficient for you, then you have the right to contact the Council to see the minutes of the meeting that passed these regulations and any other relevant documentation. The same applies to any regulation of any council passed at any time.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 11:54
I'll take that as a no then.

Apology?

John H
05-01-2011, 12:04

Apology?

Are you for real or is this a wind-up? You ask for a regulation, I give it to you and you claim that I haven't. Just don't complain when you blatently ignore a rule and get caught and fined for doing so.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 12:34
No John, ir's no wind up and I apologise unreservedly for giving you that impression. I mean it. You have my apology and I won't do it again. No attempt at humour ever again.

I gave you an Act of Parliament and I gave you a discussion as reported in Hansard. I don't expect you to accept my word as gospel. I will always back up my assertions or admit that they are opinions only. You are an ex councillor - you told me so. If this bye-law exists then it ought to be possible for you to find it and give me a website address.

I have to tell you that I haven't been able to find one. You assert the bye-law exists and is legal. It may be so. Prove it. Give me the same courtesy I give you.

Not only have I not been able to find the one for Cromford but I haven't been able to find the one originally talked about before you and I provided this diversion for the rest of the site. I strongly suspect neither exist. I am always sceptical when it comes to councils but, truly, I think these two bye-laws are council fantasies. If it came to a court, it won't, but if it did I would provide such a logical argument for the magistrates and I believe I would have a good chance of winning.

It's not a wind up. Prove your assertion. It is your assertion -back it up. It should be possible for me to do it. It isn't. It should be easy for you to do. Is it?

John H
05-01-2011, 12:49
No John, ir's no wind up and I apologise unreservedly for giving you that impression. I mean it. You have my apology and I won't do it again. No attempt at humour ever again.

I gave you an Act of Parliament and I gave you a discussion as reported in Hansard. I don't expect you to accept my word as gospel. I will always back up my assertions or admit that they are opinions only. You are an ex councillor - you told me so. If this bye-law exists then it ought to be possible for you to find it and give me a website address.

I have to tell you that I haven't been able to find one. You assert the bye-law exists and is legal. It may be so. Prove it. Give me the same courtesy I give you.

Not only have I not been able to find the one for Cromford but I haven't been able to find the one originally talked about before you and I provided this diversion for the rest of the site. I strongly suspect neither exist. I am always sceptical when it comes to councils but, truly, I think these two bye-laws are council fantasies. If it came to a court, it won't, but if it did I would provide such a logical argument for the magistrates and I believe I would have a good chance of winning.

It's not a wind up. Prove your assertion. It is your assertion -back it up. It should be possible for me to do it. It isn't. It should be easy for you to do. Is it?

I don't understand your assertion that you haven't been able to find the by-law relating to Cromford. I gave it to you - see my earlier post. You ask for a website - I told you to look up the Derbyshire Dales District Council website. All these documents are there to be read (as is the Road Traffic Act of 2004, the parking regulations of which came into force on 31st March 2008 and which gave revised powers to local authorities to regulate parking). I don't see what more I can do apart from come to your house, take you by the hand, walk you into the Council offices in Matlock and introduce you to the council secretary and guide your hand down the relevant page in the council minutes when she produces them for you to read. As for your "logical argument" if and when you are faced with a prosecution, I am sorry I haven't seen any sign of one so far and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

shawbags
05-01-2011, 14:57

Apology?

Find the name of the main councillor involved, phone him direct ( could be his home number) and question him about this situation,it will probably be fun as i have never known a councillor that likes being questioned directley by a member of the public.
I do agree with mr H about councillors who like the position for the glory and forget they are there to do a job,cheers Shawbags.

shawbags
05-01-2011, 15:33
I was last in studland bay about 8 years ago but before then i had spent many a night parked up on the side of the road about 500 yard past the toilets and restaraunt.
On my last visit i could not park anywhere as the whole road on both sides was full of vans,cars,motorhomes,caravans and even tents.
What a stuning place,i used to walk over the small dunes and on to the beach on the harbour side and have a picknick and later relax and take a nap back on the dunes with a small canopy for shade.
Instead of banning overnighting there,they could have charged a small fee with a limit of one or two nights stay as i would have thought most people would be willing to pay £3 or £4 a night for such a lovely place,i know i would,Shawbags.

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 16:20
I don't understand your assertion that you haven't been able to find the by-law relating to Cromford. I gave it to you - see my earlier post. You ask for a website - I told you to look up the Derbyshire Dales District Council website. All these documents are there to be read (as is the Road Traffic Act of 2004, the parking regulations of which came into force on 31st March 2008 and which gave revised powers to local authorities to regulate parking). I don't see what more I can do apart from come to your house, take you by the hand, walk you into the Council offices in Matlock and introduce you to the council secretary and guide your hand down the relevant page in the council minutes when she produces them for you to read. As for your "logical argument" if and when you are faced with a prosecution, I am sorry I haven't seen any sign of one so far and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Yeah, done that. What I want you to do - though I think you can't - is provide a link to the page which says "Here is the Bye-law you want to see." I do it. Anybody who can prove their assertions can do it. John, you can't. You can only say "Look up the website for yourself; write to the council." This is not a windup, you are truly a politician. Not one will answer a question straight. Show me the bye-law. Don't tell me to look it up. You look it up. It's your assertion; you look it up and show me the page. Both of them if you can. Failing that, admit you can't. No shame in that, I can't either.

Nosha
05-01-2011, 16:54
Why has someone hi-jacked a thread about Poole/Dorset and turned it into a RANT about the Dales???????????? You're not even in the right county!!!!!!!!!

This section is to help each other wild camp, NOT to slag each other off!!!!!!!

John H
05-01-2011, 17:13
Yeah, done that. What I want you to do - though I think you can't - is provide a link to the page which says "Here is the Bye-law you want to see." I do it. Anybody who can prove their assertions can do it. John, you can't. You can only say "Look up the website for yourself; write to the council." This is not a windup, you are truly a politician. Not one will answer a question straight. Show me the bye-law. Don't tell me to look it up. You look it up. It's your assertion; you look it up and show me the page. Both of them if you can. Failing that, admit you can't. No shame in that, I can't either.

Surprising as it may seem, not all council by-laws are published on the internet! I have given you all the links you need to find what you want. As I said earlier, if I took you by the hand and walked you into the council offices you could see chapter and verse. The links I have given you show that there is indeed a parking order; for the council minutes you will have to contact the council. You are the first person I have come across who seems to assume that if it isn't on the web it doesn't exist!

maureenandtom
05-01-2011, 17:30
Ok. You win. I've emailed them. I still think it was up to you to do that though. If it goes my way, I'll let you know. If it goes yours then I'll keep it to myself.

That's not a windup. That's a joke.

John H
05-01-2011, 17:43
Ok. You win. I've emailed them. I still think it was up to you to do that though. If it goes my way, I'll let you know. If it goes yours then I'll keep it to myself.

That's not a windup. That's a joke.

Its not a question of winning; its a question of common sense.

coolasluck
05-01-2011, 22:07
Handbags away laddies lets play nicely:D

Personally speaking i would always stay away from council related parking spots,but any other is fair game to me and i wouldnt treat to seriously if they tried to bully me into paying a fine,it aint gonna happen:cool::cool:

shawbags
05-01-2011, 22:49
Why has someone hi-jacked a thread about Poole/Dorset and turned it into a RANT about the Dales???????????? You're not even in the right county!!!!!!!!!

This section is to help each other wild camp, NOT to slag each other off!!!!!!!

Yes i fully agree,lets get back to studland,if we could garantee the weather i would be down there more often what a wonderfull place,my sister has a holiday apartment in christchurch and is down there most of the time as she has recently retired,lucky cow,moo moo :rolleyes:,shawbags.

John H
06-01-2011, 08:05
Yes i fully agree,lets get back to studland

Sorry about that but the point I was making applies to all areas - including Dorset - I happened to pick up on Cromford as an example because someone else had already used it on this thread and because I know the area well. As for the point about being here to help each other, I totally agree, which is why I think it important the information we give is as accurate as possible.

Tbear
06-01-2011, 09:05
I was last in studland bay about 8 years ago but before then i had spent many a night parked up on the side of the road about 500 yard past the toilets and restaraunt.
On my last visit i could not park anywhere as the whole road on both sides was full of vans,cars,motorhomes,caravans and even tents.
What a stuning place,i used to walk over the small dunes and on to the beach on the harbour side and have a picknick and later relax and take a nap back on the dunes with a small canopy for shade.
Instead of banning overnighting there,they could have charged a small fee with a limit of one or two nights stay as i would have thought most people would be willing to pay £3 or £4 a night for such a lovely place,i know i would,Shawbags.

Hi Shawbags

And with the money they earned they could put on water, sewage and garbage removal (If not already there), perhaps with a few quid profit over the years. Not what you might call Radical is it?

Richard

AndyC
06-01-2011, 11:48
Sorry about that but the point I was making applies to all areas - including Dorset - I happened to pick up on Cromford as an example because someone else had already used it on this thread and because I know the area well. As for the point about being here to help each other, I totally agree, which is why I think it important the information we give is as accurate as possible.
I'm not sure that the parking at the canal wharf at Cromford is council owned/administered - if that's the one being discussed?

Anyway, a useful source of local parking regulations is the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website here: Traffic Penalty Tribunal (http://tro.parking-adjudication.gov.uk/)
Not all local authorities have provided their regulations, and some of the regulations may have been amended since being sent to the TPT, nevertheless it's a useful reference.

AndyC

John H
06-01-2011, 12:56
I'm not sure that the parking at the canal wharf at Cromford is council owned/administered - if that's the one being discussed?

AndyC

Absolutely correct - it is administered by Derbyshire County Council - sorry about that but the point about the traffic orders being legitimate is just as true - its just a different set of traffic orders!

maureenandtom
06-01-2011, 16:05
Well I've heard from Derbyshire County Council and they claim all responsibility for laybys. I'm a bit miffed honestly at having to contact them at all when all you had to do was provide a link to a website. I get a bit fed up with people who won't provide a valid link. Usually it turns out they're just full of bull. I apologise sweetly.

However, I haven't yet - and probably won't - challenge them about the legality of their notices. I still feel that a notice saying a layby is for motor cars and motor cycles only is probably not legal. I will probably never be anywhere near Studland and I'm getting a bit selfish.

Sometimes when pressed these people do admit their notices have no legal validity and they use them just as a wish list to let people think they have powers they do not in fact have. My own council has done it and I think that is then a fraud committed on the council tax payer who has to pay for their folly as well as for others. We pay them. We deserve truth from them. Or they can get a proper job.

I think lying to the tax payer is out of the bounds for normal tolerance.

I give you this link on our own site with some trepidation.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/6797-good-news-no-overnight-parking.html

John H
06-01-2011, 18:08
Well I've heard from Derbyshire County Council and they claim all responsibility for laybys. I'm a bit miffed honestly at having to contact them at all when all you had to do was provide a link to a website. I get a bit fed up with people who won't provide a valid link. Usually it turns out they're just full of bull. I apologise sweetly.

However, I haven't yet - and probably won't - challenge them about the legality of their notices. I still feel that a notice saying a layby is for motor cars and motor cycles only is probably not legal. I will probably never be anywhere near Studland and I'm getting a bit selfish.

Sometimes when pressed these people do admit their notices have no legal validity and they use them just as a wish list to let people think they have powers they do not in fact have. My own council has done it and I think that is then a fraud committed on the council tax payer who has to pay for their folly as well as for others. We pay them. We deserve truth from them. Or they can get a proper job.

I think lying to the tax payer is out of the bounds for normal tolerance.

I give you this link on our own site with some trepidation.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/6797-good-news-no-overnight-parking.html

The irony of all this is that you and I are probably of one mind when it comes to local authorities passing parking regulations that ban overnighting - that it is mean, short-sighted and probably counter-productive. The reason I took issue with you is because you claimed that local authorities were exceeding their authority and somehow going against the wishes of "our sovereign Parliament". They aren't. Several Road Traffic Acts (one of which you referred to and the latest of which I referred to) have delegated that responsibility - even duty - to local councils. Under our democracy they have an absolute right to approve idiotic rules. We then have the right to replace them every four years or so with another lot who will probably pass even more idiotic rules. It's not much of a system but its the only one we have and it is important that people are aware that when a local council approves regulations and posts notices then you are, if you ignore them, liable to prosecution. You may not like the rules but to pretend they aren't really legitimate rules is being even more stupid than they are.

shawbags
07-01-2011, 00:01
Hi Shawbags

And with the money they earned they could put on water, sewage and garbage removal (If not already there), perhaps with a few quid profit over the years. Not what you might call Radical is it?

Richard

Exactly,but yet again thats too easy,they could even afford some kind of warden to supervize the area,lets face it the place would probably be full for 7-8 months of the year no problem,you would probably have to book lol.
I love the place but i know i would take the risk and park over night if,or should i say when i go back and it would ruin the enjoyment,is the car park still the same size because it was never big enough.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS