PDA

View Full Version : Wigtown Harbour?

Ste
27-09-2011, 02:33
Is anybody able to confirm the status of Wigtown Habour in D&G (54.862333,-4.434185). I know its had work done to improve it this year, including new signage. I was here in January when they were clearing the site of rubbish, but the guys working on site didn't have a clue, (or couldn't be arsed with me)!

Canalsman
07-10-2011, 19:46
Anybody able to give an update?

Ta :)

alfa_scud
21-10-2011, 16:08
Called there last night, it all looked ok, even seemed to be a working water tap. We didn't stop only because the water was high which made the misses nervous!! Ended up staying on the carpark in kirkcudbright.

Canalsman
23-10-2011, 23:38
I've added this spot to the POI Downloads.

If anyone has more definite knowledge about parking here, an update would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

Chris

windysurfer
12-02-2012, 16:16
Parked up here now.Nice quiet place and no parking restrictions

Canalsman
12-02-2012, 18:41
Thanks for the info :)

Regards

Chris

mikeflys
14-05-2012, 16:04
Went down there for Wigtown Spring Weekend festival 5th May. Harbour area OK though a little busy during day with bird watchers using hide 100 mtrs to north of car park. Decided not to stay as there is a sign at picnic area adjacent to car park stating no parking from 2am to 4am! One of locals said pay no notice as we would certainly not get bothered.
Whether notice applies to car park or not I am unsure, but we moved on anyway.

christine
07-10-2012, 15:04
We were there last weekend and saw the notice about no parking between 2 and 4am. We didn't stay either as we won't stop anywhere with any sort of restrictions.

Fireman Sam
07-10-2012, 15:53
Just had a look at it on Google street view. I looks a great place. Does the CP get covered regularly at high (spring) tides?

christine
08-10-2012, 13:29
I don't know but it was the first time we had seen the place with the tide in. It was a full moon so it was a big tide.

terry111
08-12-2012, 17:38
I was here a few weeks ago. It was a very wet day and, from the debris it looked like the tide had previously flooded the car park. Another high tide was predicted for 10.30 in the evening so I thought it better not to stay!

Vanterrier
29-07-2013, 10:28
Just to bring this location up to date, we took a look yesterday and could see signs of a high tide recently having flooded the carpark on your left as you arrive at the location, but the grassy carpark to your right as you arrive was well above the tide line and in my opinion is a better pitch anyway, with picnic benches too.

I also noticed there is a working standpipe in the "left-hand" carpark against a post at what used to be a slipway.

The whole area was tidy and I saw no signs restricting parking at any time... it was 11.00 a.m. sunday and not a soul to be seen anywhere...

I have to say, mudflats are not my favorite view so although as far as I could see the location is otherwise perfect, there are better locations nearby.

Hope that helps someone...

K ;)

mikeflys
23-09-2014, 13:00
Just had a look at it on Google street view. I looks a great place. Does the CP get covered regularly at high (spring) tides?

Have been down twice when it flooded. Unfortunately couldn't find owner of car which was up to sills when I decided to move out.

sasquatch
23-09-2014, 15:05
I was there week before last and a local came down and told us we were welcome to stay and pointed out the tap to us.He did say that there was a supermoon that night and the tide that night would be very high. At 12-20 it was well over the wall and on the car park to a depth of about a foot. We moved to the right of the car park near to the approach and weren't touched. If you go past the church to Martyrs Stake picnic area it is possible to stop over there. The butchers. By the council office has superb pies Tec,but go early as he sells out quickly. The Coop has just been refurbished,the work was commencing when we were there and they were having a clearance sale everything at half price.
mudflats are fantastic for birders seeing the waders coming in to feed and you can watch ospreys nearby.

Freespirit
27-06-2015, 22:35
A bit late I know but we only joined a few days ago. Wigtown Harbour is a great place.
We stayed there a week ago for two nights and had it to ourselves, hard standing.
Very quiet, lots of space, not crowded mainly local dog walkers who do not look twice.
Short walk to the town plenty of shops, cafes, public toilets etc. + if you like reading,
Wigtown is the bookshop town of Scotland.

maingate
27-06-2015, 22:40
It is always best to check the tide table before you park up. It would be terrible to wake up in the Irish Sea. :sad:

milton
05-08-2015, 11:06
I've added this spot to the POI Downloads.

If anyone has more definite knowledge about parking here, an update would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

Chris

I know this is a reply to an old post, but people need to be aware:

I found Wigtown harbour on my travels, directed there by a very nice lady in the library. Perfect location, hardstanding, no tap or anything but didn't need it. Strange, worn out, almost illegible sign not actually on quayside, saying no caravans between 2.0am and 4.00am but chose to ignore it.

Went to sleep at low tide. Woke at 2.35am precisely - I will always remember this moment - had been dreaming I was in a rowing boat being lulled to sleep by the lapping of the water around the boat.
Realised I was not in a boat
Looked out of the window with a torch to find myself entirely surrounded by waves.:mad1:

Yes, the quayside was entirely submerged.
Luckily the water had only reached about eight inches, I managed to start the engine and drive about 10 yards to the roadway uphill.

Hosed off the salt water later, no apparent damage, but I would hate this to happen to anyone else.

POI Admin
05-08-2015, 11:26
Thanks for the reminder and warning.

I have added a note to the POI comments, and enclosed the name in square brackets to alert people.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS