PDA

View Full Version : Free Places to Park Overnight Cornwall (Lots)

StealthCamper
10-10-2011, 18:43
Hiya

First post on the forum, thought I might as well giveaway a few of my favourite locations where you can park up overnight for free.

If there is a charge, I'll let you know below...

Right, where shall I start from?

Lets go from Falmouth and head west for starters.

Ok so at Falmouth, I would suggest Pendennis Point. Not supposed to park there overnight but seems to be a fairly relaxed attitude towards van and motorhomes being parked there for a night or so. Free of charge, no car park fees at all. There's the top car park (tarmac) and the lower gravel car park. Both afford stunning views out to sea, the entrance to the River Fal immediately to your left looking towards St. Mawes and The Roseland.

To the right you can see right across the bay to the mouth of the Helford River and further out towards The Manacles on The Lizard.

A little further around the one way system heading towards Castle Beach there is another car parking area on the left overlooking Castle Beach, Gyllyngvase Beach, Swanpool Beach and in the distance Maenporth Beach. No signs telling you that you cannot overnight here, invariably there's always one or two vans or motorhomes there. Again, no parking charges and level.

Now heading westwards, go past Swanpool Beach, up the hill past the golf course on the left and at the top of the road you eventually come to a T-junction.

Turn left towards Maenporth Beach. Bear in mind this is Cornwall so lots of winding narrow roads so take care. Down the bottom of the hill, keep going until you see Maenporth Beach on the left, keep going, just follow the road. Up the hill, along the level, sharp left, past the Meudon Hotel on the left, just follow the road.

After about a mile the road bears sharply to the right. On the right hand bend there is a T-junction, turn left (dead end) follow the lane down to the Church at the bottom of the lane. There's room at the end for one or two small motorhomes. Free of charge. Level. Stunning walks nearby. Feels a bit creepy here at night. Birdman of Mawnan Church fame - Google it.

Now, if you hadn't turned left at the top of the lane and carried straight on you would after 1/2 mile entered the village of Mawnan Smith. At the Red Lion pub turn left, heading towards Glendurgan Garden (National Trust) and next door The Magical Gardens of Trebah (where I was born.) Just as you leave Mawnan Smith village and before you get to these gardens on the left... you'll see a very small crossroads. At the crossroads, turn left down the narrow lane.

Go past the farm buildings on the right and on the S bend turn right into Durgan car park. 2 honesty box. In the winter they block off access to the grassy area which would be about this time of the year now. 'Tis all good, there's still room for a dozen good sized motorhomes on the gravel. Level. Stunning walks very close by and excellent fishing spots.

Right, back up to the top of the lane, if you hadn't turned left to go towards Durgan car park you would have gone straight on over the crossroads, your right of way. After a couple hundred yards you would go past Glendurgan Garden and a little further on next door, Trebah Gardens. Stay on the road, keep going a few more yards. Where the road bears sharply to the right (ignore the turning on the left which goes down to the Ferryboat Inn on the Helford River), just follow this tiny lane down the hill, past the Budock Vean Hotel on the left, keep going to the bottom of the hill. Exceptionally narrow by the way - you don't want to meet any other other vehicle coming from the other direction.

At the bottom of the hill, there's a tiny entrance to a lane going off on the left hand side. Alongside it is a little cut out in the hedge. You can reverse 1 van or small motorhome into this gap and park up here under the trees with the stream right beside you. Stunning scenery, very relaxing. No fees. Level. And muddy. But gorgeous. Port Navas Creek is just behind you, 20 seconds walk away.

Ok, where next?...

Wake up in the morning, turn left. Immediately the creek will now be on your left hand side. Just follow the lane through it's twists and turns, up and down until you come to Port Navas. At the end of the level stretch of road, you'll bear slightly to the right and downhill for about 75 yards. Drive through the village, up the hill leaving Port Navas behind you. On the level at the end 90 degree turn to the left, past the farm entrance on the left and the right turn - just keep heading towards Constantine. A few yards after the T-junction the road bears sharply to the right, up the slight incline until the lane level out.

Now on the left, besides the oak tree there's a little pull in (not a passing place) where you can park to admire the view below, overlooking Calamansack Creek with Goonhilly Satellite Earth Station in the distance. You can park here overnight, you'll be perfectly safe. Very quiet road, nothing really to disturb you. Just this gorgeous view, the only noise coming from the curlews on the creek down below.

More to come in the next post, not sure how many characters I'm allowed here so better safe than sorry...

StealthCamper
06-01-2012, 18:56
Okay, where shall I take you to next... let's leave the Helford River and head towards Helston.

From Helston you can take The Lizard road. At the top of Helston there's a roundabout, one road heads east towards Falmouth.

One road heads north to Redruth.

And another road heads south towards Mullion and The Lizard.

Go past Tesco's on the left hand side, go straight on at the Tesco roundabout. Straight on at the traffic lights. And straight on again at the Flambards / Sainsbury's roundabout. A few yards later another roundabout, go straight on.

Culdrose Naval Air Station will now be on your left hand side. Follow this road for 2-2 1/2 miles. Past the main entrance to Culdrose, under the bridge until you come to the next *roundabout. Go straight on heading towards The Lizard (8 miles).

Just before you get to The Lizard, about a mile this side of the village you'll see a tiny lane signposted by one of those brown tourist signs... Kynance Cove.

Follow the lane down to the end (1 1/2 miles over the speedbumps and cattle grid) and you'll pop out into Kynance Cove carpark. The views here are just jaw droppingly beautiful!

It's a NT carpark so free if you're a member. A choice of hard standing gravel or grass. Plenty of room for numerous motorhomes and stealth campers. The car parking attendant when in attendance is a lovely old Cornish boy who I know well. You couldn't hope for a better spot to park up for the night. Toilets on site and fresh water.

From here a stones throw away is the tiny and very, very beautiful village of Cadgwith.

Lots of gorgeous thatched cottages, a pebble beach, pub, restaurant, gift shops, galleries etc. Very peaceful indeed. Now whatever you do... DO NOT ATTEMPT to drive into Cadgwith, you will get stuck. The road is exceptionally narrow in the village. When you see the village carpark, turn into it. Yes it's sloping but...

Go to the end of the carpark and the lane turns sharply to the left to the lower hidden level carpark. Pay at the pay and display and being out of the way you should be able to get away with parking in here overnight. It's a 4-5 minute walk down into the actual fishing hamlet. It's a stunning little spot and very beautiful.

Back to the *roundabout. Straight on again. But this time rather than heading far down the road, literally just 75 yards later turn right towards Cury. From the right turn, to Cury, is about 2-3 miles, go through Cury without turning off the road.

Out of Cury another mile or so and on the right hand side of the road on a left hand corner you'll see the Mullion Golf Club. Keep heading downhill. Half a mile later the road goes steeply downhill towards a gorgeous beach called Poldhu Cove.

As you head down the hill, at the bottom there's a sharp left hairpin bend. In effect just turn (go straight on) up the right hand side of the beach, it's a little narrow lane.

Go up to the top of the lane as it bears around to the right, at the top it's a dead end, a little free gravel carpark overlooking Mounts Bay. Completely free of charge with the most stunning sea views possible. Beware of the cliff edge! There's an overhang with the recent storms so DO NOT be tempted to stand on the edge of the cliff or you might find life being a little shorter than you imagined!

There's enough room here for 5-6 small to medium sized stealth camper vans. I park here regularly. Gunwalloe (Church Cove) is immediately to your right, 5 minutes walk away. Stunning location! Both beaches are sandy.

Back to that *roundabout again.

This time, turn left towards Goonhilly Satellite Earth Station and St Keverne.

As soon as you go past Goonhilly, on the right hand side you'll see a little tiny lane, it should be signposted British Nature Reserve or something similar. Pull in there and there's a good sized level tarmac carpark, enough room for 20 large motorhomes with turning space to boot. 100% free of charge. Gorgeous walks close by across Goonhilly Downs. Google it.

Now, back to Helston and head towards Porthleven 2 1/2 miles outside of Helston. Go past the boating pond on the right, into the 60mph zone and on up the hill.

Crest the hill, along the short level and down the other side. At the bottom of the hill the road bears sharply around to the left, up the hill and where you come across a sharp 90 degree turn to the right, turn left (in effect go straight on), follow this road for half a mile until you see the bungalows on the right hand side of the road.

Just past the bungalows as you start to head downhill, you'll see if you look left a few parking places on the hill overlooking Mounts Bay. Exercise caution here, overnighting may be frowned upon but you might just away with it. There's more than a few spots to choose from.

On the right (just past the bugalows) you'll see a carpark, turn into it and again views over Porthleven harbour and Mounts Bay, level, pay and display. Overnight at your own risk.

If you do head down into Porthleven, past the big church on the left, across the top of the harbour the road bears sharply to the right. Take the 2nd left immediately after the 1st sharp left.

Go up the hill with the granite houses on your right hand side. Out of Porthleven heading towards Rinsey. It's about 3 miles. Right at the very top, in effect when you can go straight on forwards no more, the road turns sharply by 90 degrees to the right to the village of Ashton on the main Helston - Penzance road.

Don't turn to the right towards Ashton, turn left down that little lane towards Rinsey. Follow the narrow lane down all the way to the very end. Very narrow and a little rough in places but surprisingly it pops out into a very peaceful and quiet carpark belonging to the NT.

Room for 4-5 small transit, LDV Convoy size stealth campers. Overlooking Mounts Bay. Extremely peaceful, superb walks and sea fishing close by. 100% free. Overnighting fine.

If you have a larger vehicle, out of Porthleven by the same route as described just above, on the level about a mile to a mile and a half outside Porthleven you'll see two layby's on the left overlooking the ocean. You could of course park here for the night if you chose to.

Next post I'll share some gorgeous spots in the far west of the county beyond Penzance heading towards the Land's End area.

Chin chin and happy new year to you all.

Btw if you ever see an old white T reg LDV Convoy (stealth camper) with a 6'6" guy pop out of it down this way, it'll more than likely be me. Can't be too many of us around. Don't be afraid to say hello.

Cheers!

Mark

shazzpurple
19-03-2012, 19:36
hi this is great we are heading down that way in may to see Suzanne Vega and are hoping to stay down there for a week or two and could do with some spot right down the bottom if you have any ..

MORGANTHEMOON
19-03-2012, 19:59
Great post Stealth.

bayneclan
19-03-2012, 21:15
A great thread, thank you we are heading that way soon so will come in really handy:D

oldish hippy
19-03-2012, 21:36
quote"Go to the end of the carpark and the lane turns sharply to the left to the lower hidden level carpark. Pay at the pay and display and being out of the way you should be able to get away with parking in here overnight. It's a 4-5 minute walk down into the actual fishing hamlet. It's a stunning little spot and very beautiful."

Down the foot path past the tin church is th best way

mine got the name of winnie the pooh donkey on the back and it only 10ft long and 5ft wide at max

Suntor 100
16-06-2012, 16:04
Great info Mark, hope to head down later this summer......if we get one.,. lol

moonshadow
01-07-2012, 14:54
Brilliant info! Heading that way on Friday, what about Swanpool beach car park, I know it's 2 for the day are there any restrictions on overnighting? just thought I'd like to wake up looking at the sea!

Deleted user 21925
02-07-2012, 02:43
Great post, definitely one to keep in the archives for our trip later this year. Thanks

Rob

deal
04-08-2012, 21:59
HOME - Tyringham Arms (http://www.tyringhamarms.co.uk/) Over night stays welcome Lelant Downs just before going to St ives... Tr26 3ez

Mary Louise
21-06-2014, 07:37
"Next post I'll share some gorgeous spots in the far west of the county beyond Penzance heading towards the Land's End area."
Did you ever do this?:dance:

Angela
17-09-2014, 04:40
Thanks for the list we just had 11 days down that way and used some of your recommendations.

teckguy
17-09-2014, 10:17
HOME - Tyringham Arms (http://www.tyringhamarms.co.uk/) Over night stays welcome Lelant Downs just before going to St ives... Tr26 3ez

The Tyringham Arms have now closed down

empomire
19-10-2014, 13:35
Hi everyone, sorry to be a pain in a first post. I am on the charitable trust that runs the car park mentioned in #2 above, at Cadgwith. As a result of information disseminated like this we now have a problem. Although the signs dictate 'no overnight camping' we have until now turned a blind eye to occasional stopovers, but now we have campervans settling in for a good long stay, some have the added cheek to ignore the (fairly reasonable) 2 a day or 1 overnight charge. Whilst I am personally sympathetic to 'wild campers' this is less than ideal, and we are now considering our options. There are (3) campervans parked longterm, but they belong to local folk and are stored only, not occupied, and this may lead you to think it is OK. May I recommend you try Gordon Lake, who has an informal location on the other side of the valley, he is at Rainbow's End, 100 yards to the SE of the Post office/store in Ruan Minor. There are other excellent formal well serviced sites within a mile or so, the nearest is Little Trethvas:

Campsites & Touring Caravan Sites in Lizard, Cornwall - Little Trethvas (http://www.campsiteslizard.co.uk/)

One you may enjoy for its quirky atmosphere is Henry's:

Home (http://www.henryscampsite.co.uk/)

The car park is run by a charitable trust which runs the public toilets in the parish, and uses excess funds to the benefit of local organisations. We are not a faceless bureaucracy nor a grabbing landowner.

POI Admin
19-10-2014, 15:47
Thank you for joining and posting the information about Cadgwith car park.

I have now removed this location from our database.

This site encourages responsible overnight parking and it is unlikely that any of our members have not paid the entirely reasonable fees that you seek.

As an aside, many of our members litter pick at the places where we stop, and leave the locations cleaner than when we arrived ...

witzend
19-10-2014, 16:02
Cadgwith another place to avoid pity some over stayed their welcome but theres not much to miss at Cadgwith

empomire
19-10-2014, 17:47
Your responsible attitude is very encouraging, please ignore the info about Gordon lake, he is unable to help at the moment. It is a great shame that we cannot accommodate you easily, but space is very limited and the car park is full much of the time in summer. We are looking at the possibility of a campsite along the lines of French municipal sites in the future.

st3v3
19-10-2014, 18:41
Hi Empomire,

Good to hear from you.

If anyone doesn't pay the parking charges - ticket them. There's no excuse for that.

The long term storage vans you have could be giving the wrong impression, I would suggest a big sign on each windscreen saying they're stored, and post the maximum number of days you'd permit anyone to overnight in your carpark.

Sometimes it's that people just don't know there is a problem with what they are doing - especially if they're not members of sites such as this that promote sensible wilding.

Any grief from anyone and involve the police. I don't think anyone on here would have any problem with that, as long as people know what you'll permit there's no excuse.

Good luck, and please know that the p!sstakers are the minority!

empomire
19-10-2014, 19:30
Yes we are well aware that this is not indicative of the majority, it was not a problem until this year, and as I say we are considering our options, one of which may be to apply a suitable fee, plus a time and/or number of vehicles limit. The suggestion of signs in the resident vans is a good one, and one we discussed, particularly as at least one was only bought because we agreed to store it. The problem is that as more use occurs more people get to know, and it all grows exponentially out of hand. What would be acceptable as an overnight fee?

POI Admin
19-10-2014, 20:57
There are other communities offering similar facilities - a typical donation might be 5. If it is possible to provide water and maybe even toilet emptying facilities that would be very helpful.

st3v3
19-10-2014, 21:03
What would be acceptable as an overnight fee?

I'd go with the 5-10 depending on the facilities, but I suspect it wouldn't cure your problem, limiting number of nights/vehicles is where it's at in my opinion.

I don't know that I'll ever get as far down as you guys are, but please try and work something out, not just close it. Thanks!

P90RKS
19-10-2014, 21:23
Top stuff thanks

Geraldine
19-10-2014, 22:34
Yes we are well aware that this is not indicative of the majority, it was not a problem until this year, and as I say we are considering our options, one of which may be to apply a suitable fee, plus a time and/or number of vehicles limit. The suggestion of signs in the resident vans is a good one, and one we discussed, particularly as at least one was only bought because we agreed to store it. The problem is that as more use occurs more people get to know, and it all grows exponentially out of hand. What would be acceptable as an overnight fee?

North Devon council allow motorhomes to stay for up to 2 nights for a fee of 5 per night at their seaside car parks.Westward Ho! Comes to mind.
Cheers David

empomire
23-10-2014, 17:11
By the by, I can help you with a possible site, use google map, look for Kuggar. Then move to the east and half way between the caravan sites and Kennack sands is a small cliff top field which is shown with eleven cars in it. This field is, and has been for the last sixty years as far as I know, without any evidence of ownership. There is also a layby a further 100 yards east, seen with three cars in. Toilets at the beach, run by the charity mentioned above, open 24/7.

yomper
23-10-2014, 18:19
I may be taking a few of these up on the odd days. I have my own spot in Cornwall and will try one or 2 of these. If I see u I will say hi

sparrks
23-10-2014, 18:49
By the by, I can help you with a possible site, use google map, look for Kuggar. Then move to the east and half way between the caravan sites and Kennack sands is a small cliff top field which is shown with eleven cars in it. This field is, and has been for the last sixty years as far as I know, without any evidence of ownership. There is also a layby a further 100 yards east, seen with three cars in. Toilets at the beach, run by the charity mentioned above, open 24/7.

Intresting that no one appears to own it, looking at streetview the imagery is dated 7/2009 and it shows a digger in there. Google maps data is 2 months later

empomire
23-10-2014, 19:39
Intresting that no one appears to own it, looking at streetview the imagery is dated 7/2009 and it shows a digger in there. Google maps data is 2 months later

That is remarkable. Never in 60 years seen anyone do anything other than park freely in there.

POI Admin
23-10-2014, 22:55

Thank you for the information :D

Neville Street
05-11-2014, 19:21
Cadgwith - just to put my oar in, I am one of the people who stores a van in the car park. I am hoping that the idea of raising a small charge and allowing overnighting is what happens. The Community Trust is a really good local organisation, a handful of hard working people, they are trying to be reasonable, and I am sure will come up with a good solution.

grumpy2
02-05-2015, 20:48

this is closed, recently sold.

Rob H
02-05-2015, 22:47
Hi Empomire,

In full agreement that an honesty box and signage for overnighting donations towards upkeep maintenance and improvement of overnighting spots is a good idea, donation boxes are often come across in Scotland and encourage visitors, personally I'm a wild camping advocate not a something for nothing advocate.

Good luck with your enlightened efforts to promote your area and through encouragement of touring Motorhomes and Campervaners, bringing visitors revenue to your local businesses.

Regards,

Rob H.

Skc
07-07-2015, 14:31
Hi. Heading to Newquay in August and looking for a remote one night parking. Small (t5) camper and would like a secluded, romantic little spot. Ideally sea views. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jaborn
08-07-2015, 09:32
Hi, bit tricky in august. I use national trust cp myself, just joined this year and always ask the car park attendants if ok, most time there fine. I've stayed at bedruthan steps cp a couple of times (just north of newquay), fantastic views and sunsets. Hope this helps, happy camping.

Skc
08-07-2015, 16:44
Hi, bit tricky in august. I use national trust cp myself, just joined this year and always ask the car park attendants if ok, most time there fine. I've stayed at bedruthan steps cp a couple of times (just north of newquay), fantastic views and sunsets. Hope this helps, happy camping.

Thanks. Not after anything special. We'd just like a nice night, no kids and on our own. Few drinks out the fridge and a takeaway.

jaborn
08-07-2015, 17:00
Also, if your not fussed for a view from your van but close to a beach, try perranporth garage. They do charge 10 for the night but it is a nice level field and only a couple of mins walk to the Watering Hole pub on the beach, great place on an evening with live music some nights.

Cissyvw
10-08-2016, 17:13
Does anyone have a camping spot or cheap site west of Penzance for tonight please

Lester247
04-10-2016, 13:01
Hiya

First post on the forum, thought I might as well giveaway a few of my favourite locations where you can park up overnight for free.

If there is a charge, I'll let you know below...

Right, where shall I start from?

Lets go from Falmouth and head west for starters.

Ok so at Falmouth, I would suggest Pendennis Point. Not supposed to park there overnight but seems to be a fairly relaxed attitude towards van and motorhomes being parked there for a night or so. Free of charge, no car park fees at all. There's the top car park (tarmac) and the lower gravel car park. Both afford stunning views out to sea, the entrance to the River Fal immediately to your left looking towards St. Mawes and The Roseland.

To the right you can see right across the bay to the mouth of the Helford River and further out towards The Manacles on The Lizard.

A little further around the one way system heading towards Castle Beach there is another car parking area on the left overlooking Castle Beach, Gyllyngvase Beach, Swanpool Beach and in the distance Maenporth Beach. No signs telling you that you cannot overnight here, invariably there's always one or two vans or motorhomes there. Again, no parking charges and level.

Now heading westwards, go past Swanpool Beach, up the hill past the golf course on the left and at the top of the road you eventually come to a T-junction.

Turn left towards Maenporth Beach. Bear in mind this is Cornwall so lots of winding narrow roads so take care. Down the bottom of the hill, keep going until you see Maenporth Beach on the left, keep going, just follow the road. Up the hill, along the level, sharp left, past the Meudon Hotel on the left, just follow the road.

After about a mile the road bears sharply to the right. On the right hand bend there is a T-junction, turn left (dead end) follow the lane down to the Church at the bottom of the lane. There's room at the end for one or two small motorhomes. Free of charge. Level. Stunning walks nearby. Feels a bit creepy here at night. Birdman of Mawnan Church fame - Google it.

Now, if you hadn't turned left at the top of the lane and carried straight on you would after 1/2 mile entered the village of Mawnan Smith. At the Red Lion pub turn left, heading towards Glendurgan Garden (National Trust) and next door The Magical Gardens of Trebah (where I was born.) Just as you leave Mawnan Smith village and before you get to these gardens on the left... you'll see a very small crossroads. At the crossroads, turn left down the narrow lane.

Go past the farm buildings on the right and on the S bend turn right into Durgan car park. 2 honesty box. In the winter they block off access to the grassy area which would be about this time of the year now. 'Tis all good, there's still room for a dozen good sized motorhomes on the gravel. Level. Stunning walks very close by and excellent fishing spots.

Right, back up to the top of the lane, if you hadn't turned left to go towards Durgan car park you would have gone straight on over the crossroads, your right of way. After a couple hundred yards you would go past Glendurgan Garden and a little further on next door, Trebah Gardens. Stay on the road, keep going a few more yards. Where the road bears sharply to the right (ignore the turning on the left which goes down to the Ferryboat Inn on the Helford River), just follow this tiny lane down the hill, past the Budock Vean Hotel on the left, keep going to the bottom of the hill. Exceptionally narrow by the way - you don't want to meet any other other vehicle coming from the other direction.

At the bottom of the hill, there's a tiny entrance to a lane going off on the left hand side. Alongside it is a little cut out in the hedge. You can reverse 1 van or small motorhome into this gap and park up here under the trees with the stream right beside you. Stunning scenery, very relaxing. No fees. Level. And muddy. But gorgeous. Port Navas Creek is just behind you, 20 seconds walk away.

Ok, where next?...

Wake up in the morning, turn left. Immediately the creek will now be on your left hand side. Just follow the lane through it's twists and turns, up and down until you come to Port Navas. At the end of the level stretch of road, you'll bear slightly to the right and downhill for about 75 yards. Drive through the village, up the hill leaving Port Navas behind you. On the level at the end 90 degree turn to the left, past the farm entrance on the left and the right turn - just keep heading towards Constantine. A few yards after the T-junction the road bears sharply to the right, up the slight incline until the lane level out.

Now on the left, besides the oak tree there's a little pull in (not a passing place) where you can park to admire the view below, overlooking Calamansack Creek with Goonhilly Satellite Earth Station in the distance. You can park here overnight, you'll be perfectly safe. Very quiet road, nothing really to disturb you. Just this gorgeous view, the only noise coming from the curlews on the creek down below.

More to come in the next post, not sure how many characters I'm allowed here so better safe than sorry...

Stayed atPort Navas Creek 2 weeks ago. Perfect. Many thanks.

Pauljenny
04-10-2016, 13:40
Stayed atPort Navas Creek 2 weeks ago. Perfect. Many thanks.

It's nice to see someone using the T word.
Thanks.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS