PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge Meet II

Firefox
17-10-2011, 11:37
The last one was so good, I can't wait to go back!

4th and 5th December is favourite for me. We only a few months until they try to close this area off for wild camping.

donkey too
17-10-2011, 12:18
If I aint got my new van by then I should have the insulation topped up on my Bongo. So please count me in this time.

Perhaps we should have some posters against the closure with us.:D

Firefox
17-10-2011, 12:24
I think resident Druids Kim and Andrea would really appreciate any peaceful support/posters or even writing to English Heritage, National Trust, and Wiltshire Council about why the closure of the Drove Road is wrong.

kangooroo
17-10-2011, 13:05
I'm keen to return to Stonehenge - one of the best wilding spots and very disappointing that it could soon be lost...

25-27th November are better for me but I could possibly manage 2-4 December.

I would also be keen to support any contact with EH, NT and Wiltshire Council to try to keep the road open.

Firefox
17-10-2011, 13:22
26th-27th definitely out for me. I have National Counties bridge competition all weekend in delightful Daventry. I get to stealth camp in the hotel car park all weekend... how exciting!

kangooroo
17-10-2011, 13:26
Looks like a December meet then.

I could also manage 9-11th December or possibly 16-18th.

Firefox
17-10-2011, 13:32
I can't do 11th Dec... more bridge :eek:

16th-18th a possibility but a bit close to the solstice maybe. I know that road is closed anyway around then, but I'm not sure when.

donkey too
17-10-2011, 13:42
I can't do 11th Dec... more bridge :eek:

16th-18th a possibility but a bit close to the solstice maybe. I know that road is closed anyway around then, but I'm not sure when.

It wasn't closed last year..... I will refrase that.... It was closed last year and the year before. but those of us that got there a couple days early were just locked in. No probs.
Also perhaps the solstice would be the better time to have any sort of demostration against closure. Anyone for getting locked up for the night?:lol-053:

Rubbertramp
17-10-2011, 17:30
I'm free! (best John Inman mince and voice)....every weekend till Xmas.....count me in!

Firefox
18-10-2011, 01:05
I have looked into the closure of this Byway to vehicular traffic and it seems the public enquiry finished 5 October and the Inspector will report to the Secretary of State for Transport for a decision. The new minister is Justine Greening.

So it's not to late to write to the minister.

This is my letter:

To fax9643@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Minister

I understand a recent public enquiry has taken place and the inspector will make his recommendation to you.

If I had known this enquiry was taking place I would have attempted to submit evidence or raise objection to the closing of byway 12 to traffic.

I have in the past used this byway to to pull over and photograph the stones at sunrise and less commonly at sunset. I am not a druid or of that persuasion, but I would like to make it known that it is used by occasional photographers, or recreational vehicles to view the stones at times when the normal facilities may be closed. I agree with the stopping up of the A344 from byway 12 to the A303. The junction with the A303 is at a sharp angle and dangerous. The A344 does compromise the stones as it runs close to it. However, Byway 12 in no way does so as it is at a distance from the stones and used only by farmers, photographers and a few recreational vehicles. The traffic is very minimal.

Byway 12 provides a low key alternative access to view the stones at any time by disabled people of limited means, photographers, or those for whom the stones have a religious significance. The stones belong to the nation, not to English Heritage. I don't believe it is within English Heritage's rights to grant themselves a monopoly that anyone who wants to view the stones has to use their paid car park and road train at considerable expense, and at such opening times which suit English Heritage.

I realise that if you do not want to use the paid car park and road train, you can park elsewhere and approach on foot but this means walking several miles, perhaps in the dark. It is not practical for disabled people, photographers carrying equipment, or pagan worshipers who want to view the stones at certain odd times, not just at the solstice or equinox.

I would thus urge you to approve the closing of the A344 from Byway 12 to the A303 but leave the ancient right of way Byway 12 open to vehicles as it has always been to cater for the needs of the people described above.

I hope you can give this matter due consideration.

If you want to write to the Secretary of State you can do so at

fax9643@dft.gsi.gov.uk

Or maybe try to contact Justine Greening direct.

David & Ann
18-10-2011, 07:39
Over nighted at Stonehenge on our way back from Dover to Cornwall. There were a few folks parked up. Especially one family who looked like Gypies or Travellers. They has a brand new SUV/4 x 4. A lovely fire was blazing away and they were roasting meat of skewers and a few saugages. I have never seen so much heavy gold displayed on their persons. I must admit they were lovely people to talk to. We refrained from asking personal questions.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/david42ann/Europe%202011/Stonehenge.jpg

Rsykes103
19-10-2011, 19:55
Hi I've never been to a meet before, I'm free 4th and 5th December and would love to come

Rubbertramp
19-10-2011, 20:01
I Don't think you have to ask Rsykes...just keep following the thread and turn up on the allotted date....I'm sure every one will be glad to see you!:wave:

kimbowbill
19-10-2011, 20:35
I'm free! (best John Inman mince and voice)....every weekend till Xmas.....count me in!

you not going to the bettsy thingy meet then RT?, was looking forward to meeting up again xx

Firefox
19-10-2011, 20:46
Yes, everyone that wants to come is welcome. There is loads of space. Enough for 100 vans or more!

Also for those that want to, we will be doing a protest at the gates of the official EH Stonhenge car park. Placards, handing out leaflets against the Byway closure etc.

Rubbertramp
20-10-2011, 19:28
you not going to the bettsy thingy meet then RT?, was looking forward to meeting up again xx

Depends on work kid.....Scotland has been postponed till spring but I do have some work to go to in North Wales....and in Bicester. If I juggle it right and depending on what date is decided for the Stonehenge meet...I might get to go to both!....oooh, busy busy.
It would be good to see you again slobber chops....and you Jen.

kimbowbill
20-10-2011, 21:43
Depends on work kid.....Scotland has been postponed till spring but I do have some work to go to in North Wales....and in Bicester. If I juggle it right and depending on what date is decided for the Stonehenge meet...I might get to go to both!....oooh, busy busy.
It would be good to see you again slobber chops....and you Jen.

ok cool, fingers crossed then, glad your busy tho, thats good innit xx

herbenny
21-10-2011, 12:55
Count us in for that weekend :)

donkey too
21-10-2011, 13:35
Still need some wording for a hand out to give to moterists etc., Any ideas anyone?

Firefox
21-10-2011, 14:06
I'll send you something :)

I was going to do it in Word so it fits on A4 twice but rotated so you can cut it in half and get two A5 portrait leaflets from one A4 landscape, I'll have a bash tonight!

Roo has done a Tiny URL for the Facebook page. We have about 70 people signed up on it so far.

Rubbertramp
21-10-2011, 17:15
Off to stonehenge now ! Going to be a nice weekend so thought lets go ! lol
Anyone up that way come say hello

Yeah...sod it...think I might just join ya. Am just down the road working near Blandford. See ya tomorrow...I'll bring some beer:cheers:

Firefox
21-10-2011, 17:37
You've got me tempted now. I really need to do some work inside the van though... maybe I will do it down there!

Takes me about a couple of hours drive from Herts.

Rubbertramp
21-10-2011, 17:48
Oh go on Vernon...you know you want to...

donkey too
22-10-2011, 20:31
I have just spent several hours wading through legislation about rights of way and have come to the conclusion that it is a nightmare.
However the track at stonehenge is a 'biway open to all trafic' I believe. so is a public right of way and cannot be closed. It has been used continually for the last 50 years that I personally know of and there must be hundreds if not thousands of people around who have used this track on a regular basis so proving that it is a public right of way.
If anyone else can think of someway in which we can use this information to stop the closure of the track, please let the rest of us know.
I do know that where I live there is a right of way whic h runs to Lakenheath village from Icklingham in a straight line, thus going right through the centre of the US air base. We walk this track once a year and that is sufficient to keep it as a right of way.

Firefox
23-10-2011, 01:40
They are not actually going to close it. At the moment it is a Byway open to all traffic. They intend to put a TRO relating to mechanically propelled vehicles so it will still be open for horse and foot traffic ie A bridleway.

This is apparently a right a local authority has to put in place a TRO owing to "exceptional circumstances" and they are arguing because it is a world heritage site this is exceptional. You know lawyers can argue black is white if they can find a loophole.

I am posting this from Byway 12 now. Byway 12 is quiet as it usually is apart from the odd landrover in the day. But I can hear the traffic thundering past on the A303 at 2.30am. During the day, the A303 is a stream of heavy vehicles going past at 60 mph, much closer to the stones than this byway. However they argue that this byway represents a loss of amenity to the stones when the A303 is 10,000 times worse.

That is the ignorance and stupidity of English Heritage in a Nutshell for you.

Rubbertramp
23-10-2011, 19:42
:cheers:.....Here's to a successful undercover operation performed by Dad's Army....(avec Belgian Private Pike)... timed with perfect precision, thanks to Charlie the decoy!

Stonehenge Security ...nil
Wild Campers.................1

Rubbertramp
23-10-2011, 19:56
Such modesty.....and originality...Fred Smith?:lol-049:

Firefox
24-10-2011, 00:55
I did the stones myself tonight and have photo from inside to prove it. That set off the electric torch symphony but the A303 is not far ;-)

My decoy was the Dutchman, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRIURINlME

Above link is my solar panel video part II which shows the campsite, the stones and some of the people.

ourglenard
27-10-2011, 19:54
Just a Thanks for Your friendly welcome up the Drove Rd on Sun/Mon. !
See from Your post that I missed the 2nd excursion into the stones as well!!:cry:
(Has the (Dutch?) Lad managed to evict his furry 'Lodger' yet?!!)
All the Best

Rubbertramp
27-10-2011, 20:10
Twas great to meet you and your family too Glen.........I think there may be another crawl in the grass on the next meet....1st weekend in December I think.

It was the Belgian...Juan who has the furry lodger....he now thinks it's a rat!
The Dutch guy is the surly bugger who doesn't like his picture taken.

ourglenard
27-10-2011, 20:27
Hi RT!!
Thanks for the intro again M8....also meant to say hello to Andrea & Kim (are they on here?....)
Kim was pre-occupied cutting & setting flooring for his Van when We left for G'Bury on Monday...& Juan (THOUGHT I remembered Him being Belgian 'cept did n't think the language Him & Dutch guy were nattering in was French...got confused!!!!)...was trying to smoke the Rat out from behind the headlining with joss-sticks!!!
Hope Your Daughter's Sunday Dinner hit the spot!....You missed tasting sesh for My bottle of Philippino Rum tho'.......'cept Lion's share went down Me!!:cheers:

Hope to See You again soon-ish

Rubbertramp
27-10-2011, 20:35
Jeroen, Juan, Dankewaal, Oosterblijft....tis all Double Dutch to me...

ourglenard
27-10-2011, 20:55
...Hence Me always using the failsafe 'Mate'!!!!

Viktor
27-10-2011, 20:55
There's a fair chance I'll do the Stones overnight myself either 5th or 6th November before it's lost...if
anyone else is heading down there over Bonfire Night...see you there all being well.

donkey too
27-10-2011, 21:09
If my daughter passes her driving test on Monday next I wont have the college run to do on the tue, wed amnd thurs so I shall be at the stones for a week or so. or in that area anyway.
I shall def be there on the week end.

solarman
31-10-2011, 20:33
Are there. Any definite dates for this yet as we would like to join and meet up?
Solarman.

Rubbertramp
31-10-2011, 20:46
I think there are a bunch of them going this weekend for bonfire night...see previous few posts

Firefox
31-10-2011, 21:06
I made a bonfire night meet thread Stonehenge III:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/15528-stonehenge-meet-iii-bonfire-night-4-5-6-nov.html

as there seems to be interest in a couple of other threads.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS