PDA

View Full Version : Widemouth Bay

kernowprickles
25-10-2011, 14:33
I can't get my Google maps to behave and give me accurate positions, so the best I can do is give you the short URL for this one:

Widemouth Bay, Bude - Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/pmyjm)

KP x x

Canalsman
25-10-2011, 14:56
Thanks Kernow ...

This spot is already in the POI Downloads, but it's good to know it's still suitable.

Regards

Chris

jogguk
25-10-2011, 15:55
I can't get my Google maps to behave and give me accurate positions, so the best I can do is give you the short URL for this one:

Widemouth Bay, Bude - Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/pmyjm)

KP x x

End of September I had a week wilding around in North Cornwall and was surprised to find the new Council carpark signs around Bude have no mention of 'no sleeping' or 'no camping' like they used to have. There is now a 24hr tariff which varies in price depending on carpark of 4.80 for Summerleaze & The Wharf carparks and 5.50 for Widemouth Bay. There is a list on the signs displaying all the offences that incurr a penalty charge, and sleeping is
not listed!

Unfortunately tickets are not transferable now between their carparks as previously was the case, so don't pay for more hrs than you need.

That said I discovered anomalies with their displayed prices. Pay for 1hr (50p) after 5pm on Friday on the Summerleaze carpark and it gives you till 9.15am the next day. I accidentally put in an odd amount, 2.10p instead of 1.90p in The Wharf carpark at about 4.30pm and it gave me a ticket till 11.30 am next morning ...and I repeated this the next day .. what a bargain! Especially as you can pick up free WiFi from the Falcon Hotel, Brandon Arms or the Adventure Hotel. (some Fon spots too). Some long parking bays behind
the fire station which are really quiet, as long as you like ducks. Water is available from the taps alongside the canal, another bonus:lol-053:

The same council signs as in Bude are in the carpark at Boscatle, though there are a few discrete signs saying 'no sleeping in vehicles' and only around the dedicated M/H parking area!

Oh, and I am currently ignoring a 90 PCN picked up at Fistral beach carpark because I genuinely forgot to pay (distracted watching a minor shunt :hammer:) Number plate recognition cameras are so eerily damn clear despite me having small 10" X 5" number plates with small typeface (American imports are allowed this size plate)!

John

kernowprickles
25-10-2011, 16:58
OOPS! May have used the wrong link, as I was looking at several spots along there! Try this one??

Widemouth Bay, Bude - Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/nvebf)

jogguk
25-10-2011, 17:12
OOPS! May have used the wrong link, as I was looking at several spots along there! Try this one??

Widemouth Bay, Bude - Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/nvebf)

That's the same link as before:lol-053:

Do you mean this one (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Widemouth+Bay,+Bude&hl=en&ll=50.775185,-4.570806&spn=0.000855,0.001768&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.529611,53.393555&vpsrc=6&hnear=Widemouth+Bay,+Bude,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=50.775332,-4.570566&panoid=Lge9VZek-XneIVjnZagdwg&cbp=12,22.93,,0,19.99&z=19)? a bit further out past the Outdoor Adventure centre? Also in the data base.

there is another one a bit further along by Millook beach, (i posted a few weeks back) but you wouldn't want to go in anything other than a van camper:scared:

John

kernowprickles
20-11-2011, 15:23
Have just spent a night in the car park at the Bude end of Widemouth Bay, and from the 31st October to 31st March it is completely free! The pay machines were covered over. I couldn't see any mention of "No overnight camping" when I had a look at the noticeboard, which is great. So get your winter breaks in Widemouth Bay!!

Bernard Jones
20-11-2011, 15:53
Just beware of the coast road a couple of miles south of Widemouth bay. It descends down a steep hill and hairpin bend into a small cove. The road continues up another steep hill and hairpin bend. There is no other road out. Problem is that you can drive down these hairpin bends with gravity pushing you, but you can't drive up! I drove down there in my X2/50 maxi van last year and could not get enough traction on the steep hill hairpin bend to drive out again in either direction. Problem is when you drive round the sharp corner in the hairpin bend, the van is on such twisted ground the weight is lifted off one of the driving wheels just when you are trying to get up the steepest point. And you cannot take a run at it because the corner is too tight. Its as though it has been designed as a van trap. I eventually had to drive head first right into into the corner of the hairpin bend, and shunt backwards and forwards enough to reverse back up the hill towards Widemouth Bay. A guy there said vans often getting stuck on the hairpin bends when its wet. Its the only place I have ever got stuck on a public road.

Canalsman
20-11-2011, 16:05
I take it that's at Millook ...

oldish hippy
20-11-2011, 16:07
was just being nosy to see if it was where i got caught one day with car coming other way and found a wild camper lol well it look like one and cant see no signs looking on google maps Widemouth Bay, Bude - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Widemouth+Bay,+Bude&hl=en&ll=50.77768,-4.570441&spn=0.000027,0.018969&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.529611,53.393555&vpsrc=6&hnear=Widemouth+Bay,+Bude,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=50.775404,-4.570439&panoid=3RmwNAgrKefDQ379pyfibg&cbp=12,336.07,,0,7.43&z=16)

vwalan
20-11-2011, 16:18
hi, thats the crackington havan road. some nice places to park along there .but yes very steep and sharp bends . used to go ok in a vw t2 .was a favourite place for us as the kids grew up. widemouth for surfing or crackington for snorkelling. there used to be gates across the road seperating the fields the kids used to love opening the gates .

carolinemoon
06-01-2012, 09:02
Have just spent a night in the car park at the Bude end of Widemouth Bay, and from the 31st October to 31st March it is completely free! The pay machines were covered over. I couldn't see any mention of "No overnight camping" when I had a look at the noticeboard, which is great. So get your winter breaks in Widemouth Bay!!

:cool1: That's great - planning on spending a couple of nights down there at the end of February

carolinemoon
29-02-2012, 15:55

We stayed here this weekend, great spot! Thank you !

Canalsman
29-02-2012, 16:35
According to this web page Cornwall Council - Widemouth Bay (http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=18994) overnight sleeping and camping is not permitted :(

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS