PDA

View Full Version : Lake District for Christmas (again)

barryd
16-11-2011, 21:51
Last Christmas we spent three weeks in the Lakes and it was more like a survival event than a holiday but we loved every minute of it. A mixture of CL's and wilding but we were limited because of all the snow.

This year we are going again and hopefully it wont be has cold or with as much snow on the roads.

I have been looking on Google Earth today at all the wild spots from the POI file. We have done a few such as around Crummock Water, Buttermere, Honister, Ullswater and Keswick but would like to try a few more. My only concern is some of the roads to some of them look very narrow. There is one at Enerdale water I would like to try but I cant even see the road!

So do you have any recomendations for the best spots hopefully away from it all with a view? I understand if you dont want to post them in the thread so a PM will be fine and I promise not to blab about it or make a mess.

Cheers
Barry

Canalsman
16-11-2011, 22:49
I think you are using an out-of-date version of the POI Downloads ...

There were a few places near Ennerdale Water, but they were removed following a communication from rangers advising against their use :(

Regards

Chris

barryd
16-11-2011, 23:15
Hi Canalsman

Dont think so I downloaded it again today and loaded it into Google Earth

I remember the Spat with the ranger bloke. Cant remember what the outcome was though.

To be honest last January we didnt have any problems parking anywhere there but there is always one Jobsworth.

Canalsman
17-11-2011, 00:41
The Ennerdale spots definitely are not in the current download - can you tell me which ones you are looking at?

Regards

Chris

Firefox
17-11-2011, 08:24
I think you are using an out-of-date version of the POI Downloads ...

There were a few places near Ennerdale Water, but they were removed following a communication from rangers advising against their use :(

Regards

Chris

It seems to me that the POI database is self destructive. They may have tolerated the odd wilder previously, but as soon as a site goes on a directory it may attract a few campers and often that leads to a no overnight parking sign or similar which leads to the site being removed. The more successful this website is the sooner that happens, so essentially the whole process is self limiting.

Pollik
17-11-2011, 08:50
It seems to me that the POI database is self destructive. They may have tolerated the odd wilder previously, but as soon as a site goes on a directory it may attract a few campers and often that leads to a no overnight parking sign or similar which leads to the site being removed. The more successful this website is the sooner that happens, so essentially the whole process is self limiting.

I think you have a point.

Do you have any thoughts on a solution which enables MHers in the UK to park up without being stung by overpriced campsites providing unneeded and unwanted services?

Can this thread be split to prevent the OP's thread being derailed? I know we have this conversation regularly, but eventually perhaps there will come a day when enough people want to do something about it.
(Edit: ignore this...OP is happy not to split the thread)

barryd
17-11-2011, 09:54
I'll check later but I'm sure used the new file.

No need to split the threads on my account.

Cheers

Canalsman
17-11-2011, 11:26

This is a risk ...

However, I would argue, the bigger the selection of places that are listed, and a lot of them in very out of the way places, the less the risk of over use and the introduction of signage and restrictions.

Perhaps the site should be encouraging people not to use the ever popular places, and spread themselves about a bit ...

james1508
17-11-2011, 20:54
hello Barry,

Wasdale Green is always a good one with the pub near by and now public toilets on the green but they don't have running water. We were there last week for the Great Gable Remembrance Sunday walk. There are now signs the length of Wast water saying no over night stopping (or something along those lines) but glad to see some of them must have become loose and are missing ;) Although it made me grin, it wasn't me that removed them. The roads are narrow so if coming from the great lay-by camp on Honester if you enter via Gosforth its only about 10 miles of narrow roads.

you have noted the other ones we use.

Regards

Croftland1
17-11-2011, 21:02
hello Barry,

Wasdale Green is always a good one with the pub near by and now public toilets on the green but they don't have running water. We were there last week for the Great Gable Remembrance Sunday walk. There are now signs the length of Wast water saying no over night stopping (or something along those lines) but glad to see some of them must have become loose and are missing ;) Although it made me grin, it wasn't me that removed them. The roads are narrow so if coming from the great lay-by camp on Honester if you enter via Gosforth its only about 10 miles of narrow roads.

you have noted the other ones we use.

Regards

We attended the Great Gable service too James. We parked in Seathwaite and climbed up via Sour Milk Ghyll, Base Brown and Green Gable. The conditions on top were incredible compared to previous years!
Jim

james1508
18-11-2011, 06:25
We attended the Great Gable service too James. We parked in Seathwaite and climbed up via Sour Milk Ghyll, Base Brown and Green Gable. The conditions on top were incredible compared to previous years!
Jim

it was a good day for it Jim wasn't it , we too did your route 7 years ago in glorious Sunday but icy conditions. We will probably do that route next year as we have done it from Wasdale for the last few years. Did you camp wild or go just for the day ( a good question so as not be seen as hijacking this thread on my part ;) )

regards

James

Firefox
18-11-2011, 19:11
Was up at Conniston last Dec 24th.

Went for a walk out of the village and up a track and found a possible spot:

Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/mcxmy)

It looks like a passing place which is usually a no-no but this one is very wide and you can park just off the passing place on the verge/gravel. Great views but I haven't tried it, only walked past. CL/CS down in Torver in the valley 2 miles away.

Canalsman
18-11-2011, 22:28
Thanks Firefox - I've added this to the POI downloads :)

Regards

Chris

barryd
19-11-2011, 00:10
Cheers for the replies

Will almost definately go to Wasdale although I might give Great Gable a miss. I have happy memories of Wasdale Head as a solo motorcyclist when I was in my early twenties. Ended up in the pub with a coach load of Swedish girls and stayed all weekend. Happy days.

scampa
19-11-2011, 01:28
Was up at Conniston last Dec 24th.

Went for a walk out of the village and up a track and found a possible spot:

Google Maps (http://g.co/maps/mcxmy)

It looks like a passing place which is usually a no-no but this one is very wide and you can park just off the passing place on the verge/gravel. Great views but I haven't tried it, only walked past. CL/CS down in Torver in the valley 2 miles away.

I've parked at this spot several times (though not overnight) and can confirm that there's room for a van to park carefully without obstructing the passing-place. I just wanted to point out that the approach road up to it is extremely steep, even by by Cumbrian standards, so I wouldn't advise it in wintry conditions.

If the roads were too icy, I'd try the spot directly beneath this hill, on the main A593 road at 54.330067,-3.124173

By the way Firefox, I spent ten days based in Coniston over last Christmas, so we probably crossed paths! We had the earthquake earlier in the week, but with all the snow on the fells and in the villages, plus the folks ice-skating on the lakes, it was probably the most picturesque Christmas that I've ever experienced! I might've been there a while longer if it wasn't for the nice chap in a 4x4 who towed me up a snowy hill towards Ambleside on the morning that I left!

Firefox
19-11-2011, 02:02
Yes we walked up this road and only just made it on foot but it was -20 in the nights and thick snow. Would not have got up that day even in a 4x4. It was covered in snow at the time so difficult to see how much room on the surfacing.

We stayed 22-24 in Torver but at the CS. I'm not a camping club member but blagged my way in. Needed the EHU as it was too cold for wilding without a proper gas heater! Then moved on to Wharfedale for 25-27 so wasn't around lake district for long.

james1508
19-11-2011, 15:18
Cheers for the replies

Ended up in the pub with a coach load of Swedish girls and stayed all weekend. Happy days.

sounds more perfect than normal :-)

Croftland1
20-11-2011, 15:17
it was a good day for it Jim wasn't it , we too did your route 7 years ago in glorious Sunday but icy conditions. We will probably do that route next year as we have done it from Wasdale for the last few years. Did you camp wild or go just for the day ( a good question so as not be seen as hijacking this thread on my part ;) )

regards

James

A group of us wild camped on Saturday night in 7 vans and met for beers. Great mountain climbing fuel! :cheers:

james1508
20-11-2011, 20:41
A group of us wild camped on Saturday night in 7 vans and met for beers. Great mountain climbing fuel! :cheers:

We stayed at the Wasdale NT because we had friends camping there , we normally camp on the green. Next year back to the green unless we go up from seatoller or Honister. We have used the wild camp at Honister near Buttermere a few times and thats a great spot too. We too managed a few of those beer thingies and a pub tea at the Wasdale Head in on the Saturday night. As its been mentioned, a great place.

Apologies Barry for hijacking your thread ! its just such a great place ;)

james

Ethngeoff
20-11-2011, 22:32
Hi Barry.
We stayed in the layby at Mockerkin Tarn recently (nr Lamplugh). View across the tarn was to die for:
Geoff.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS