PDA

View Full Version : Central Sheiffield on a Sat night

whitevanwoman
29-11-2011, 09:32
I've got tickets for a gig at the Arena in the centre of Sheffield for 17 Dec (Sat night). Any ideas of where I could stop overnight? Not keen on leaving van + dog on the streets near the Arena but not sure of late night public transport after the gig.

donkey too
29-11-2011, 09:36
Hi Try Jooles. Cooljooles on here. or Jenny should be along soon, she is a lovely person and I am sure will know somewhere as I think she is local

That should be cooljules
also for Jenny read Kimbobill I am sure they wont mind you PM'ing them

DTDog
29-11-2011, 14:19
I've got tickets for a gig at the Arena in the centre of Sheffield for 17 Dec (Sat night). Any ideas of where I could stop overnight? Not keen on leaving van + dog on the streets near the Arena but not sure of late night public transport after the gig.

Just a small point..... Arena is nearer to Meadowhall (Junction 34 of the M1) than the centre of Sheffield.
During the gig you can park in the Arena carpark although I do seem to think they charge (about 5).

I'm in Dore on the outskirts of Sheffield about 15min (drive) from Arena.
If you get stuck for somewhere after the gig, you can use my driveway. Even supply electric hook up and at least you know you will be safe.

whitevanwoman
29-11-2011, 16:35
Just a small point..... Arena is nearer to Meadowhall (Junction 34 of the M1) than the centre of Sheffield.
During the gig you can park in the Arena carpark although I do seem to think they charge (about 5).

I'm in Dore on the outskirts of Sheffield about 15min (drive) from Arena.
If you get stuck for somewhere after the gig, you can use my driveway. Even supply electric hook up and at least you know you will be safe.

Thanks v much for the kind offer, can I let you know nearer the time? There'll be a beer or 2 (or a bottle of plonk if you prefer) in it for you.

I'll check the venue details, I think it might be the Academy, not the Arena. Am sure when I looked at the map, it was a City Centre Location.

just jane
29-11-2011, 17:15
Im guessing its the Academy, the Levs have many white van dwelling fans :cool1:

cooljules
29-11-2011, 17:19
im not far from area. im hoping to be away that weekend but i have a drive, and hookup. either way your welcome. im 2 miles or so from area.

cooljules
29-11-2011, 17:21
Im guessing its the Academy, the Levs have many white van dwelling fans :cool1:

well the academy is right in town centre (poxy roxys as we called it back in the olden days...jenny should remember it well lol)

again not far from me, much much closer that the guy out at dore etc.

i cant really think if a place to park up in town, so my drive is ok

DTDog
29-11-2011, 17:25
Thanks v much for the kind offer, can I let you know nearer the time? There'll be a beer or 2 (or a bottle of plonk if you prefer) in it for you.

I'll check the venue details, I think it might be the Academy, not the Arena. Am sure when I looked at the map, it was a City Centre Location.

Either way. Offer is there whatever you decide. If you get a better offer then no problem, but like I say I can offer safe off road parking with hook up if you dont feel comfortable in any of the 'inner city' Wilding area's.

Tel = 07896888130

just jane
29-11-2011, 17:31
well the academy is right in town centre (poxy roxys as we called it back in the olden days...jenny should remember it well lol)

again not far from me, much much closer that the guy out at dore etc.

i cant really think if a place to park up in town, so my drive is ok

Im only guessing its the Academy because I am going to the gig there on the 17th(Its an Academy Im not expecting much) but I booked a hotel for the night instead of using the van. Its very near the station isnt it? What are the rules in the station car park?

cooljules
29-11-2011, 17:47
Im only guessing its the Academy because I am going to the gig there on the 17th(Its an Academy Im not expecting much) but I booked a hotel for the night instead of using the van. Its very near the station isnt it? What are the rules in the station car park?

no idea on station parking, as i have a blue badge. its only a quick 10 min walk for those that can. plenty of other parking nearby anyway.

kimbowbill
29-11-2011, 19:38

Hi WVW

i wouldn't reccommend staying around that area, i have drive and hook up 2 miles from there if you want, i would be more than happy to take you down to the venue in my car and pick you back up if you dint want to leave your dog down there, if he was on my drive i could pop in on him to see if he was ok, its up to you, you have plenty of options, all who have responded are great people who will look after you what ever you decide, my email is jenny.kimba@blueyonder.co.uk if you want to email me i wil give you my mobile.and all comes FOC, i like to think someone would do the same for me.

Jen xx

kimbowbill
29-11-2011, 19:51

Hi JJ

Rules as in?

Jen xx

whitevanwoman
29-11-2011, 21:42
Thanks for all the various offers, they are all much appreciated. I hope I can return the favours some day.

JJ - yes it's the Levs.... :dance: finally... have waited so long for this gig... saw them at Galtres Festival in Aug, they were brill. Took me back 20 years. Couldn't bend my knees the next day though!

I booked a room at Ibis for about 40 when they were supposed to be playing in May so was gutted when they cancelled and the hotel booking was wasted as my git of an ex couldn't be bothered going anyway.

So a mate has got my ex's ticket now :lol-053: and will be coming with me. If he's happy to drive, then we might just come over in the small van instead of the big (Tranny) van and drive back to his place in Lancashire same night. Not decided yet.

Jen - you are a star. Thanks so much, and to DTDog too for his (her?) offer. Even if we decide not to overnight in Sheffield and to drive back to my mate's in Wigan in the small van after the gig, it would be good not to have to leave the dog and the van in the city centre even just for a few hours on a Sat night.

I'll post again once I've chatted to my mate and we've made a plan.

Cheers everyone

just jane
30-11-2011, 05:33
Hi JJ

Rules as in?

Jen xx

I was sort of joking, I meant rules as in wild camping for whitevanwoman to stopover in the van, since its the academy she is going to.

just jane
30-11-2011, 05:50
Thanks for all the various offers, they are all much appreciated. I hope I can return the favours some day.

JJ - yes it's the Levs.... :dance: finally... have waited so long for this gig... saw them at Galtres Festival in Aug, they were brill. Took me back 20 years. Couldn't bend my knees the next day though!

I booked a room at Ibis for about 40 when they were supposed to be playing in May so was gutted when they cancelled and the hotel booking was wasted as my git of an ex couldn't be bothered going anyway.

So a mate has got my ex's ticket now :lol-053: and will be coming with me. If he's happy to drive, then we might just come over in the small van instead of the big (Tranny) van and drive back to his place in Lancashire same night. Not decided yet.

Cheers everyone

The ex deserves to be an ex, if he couldnt be bothered to use a prebooked hotel room, I booked my room a couple of months ago because I was remembering how much snow we had this time last year and I didnt feel like taking the van over from Cheshire(so we are not that far away from you).
I think you may just have re found your youth, the Levs and a van are a great mid-life crisis, I have seen them about4/5 times a year for the last 6/7years,although Drunk in Public at Tan Hill was possibly the best . The gig in May was cancelled partly because they were extra dates added to the tour after it sold out but they were the same weekend as a festival called Bearded Theory which many of the Levs stalkers already had tickets to. We are meeting up before with a couple of friends and other stalkers(Ive not met yet off the internet) I will let you know when we decide where.

whitevanwoman
30-11-2011, 07:08
The ex deserves to be an ex, if he couldnt be bothered to use a prebooked hotel room, I booked my room a couple of months ago because I was remembering how much snow we had this time last year and I didnt feel like taking the van over from Cheshire(so we are not that far away from you).
I think you may just have re found your youth, the Levs and a van are a great mid-life crisis, I have seen them about4/5 times a year for the last 6/7years,although Drunk in Public at Tan Hill was possibly the best . The gig in May was cancelled partly because they were extra dates added to the tour after it sold out but they were the same weekend as a festival called Bearded Theory which many of the Levs stalkers already had tickets to. We are meeting up before with a couple of friends and other stalkers(Ive not met yet off the internet) I will let you know when we decide where.

Drunk in public at Tan Hill? Can't believe I missed that!! :mad2:
It's literally just up the road from me, in as much as Tan Hill can be "just up the road" from anyone (it's a long lonely road out to Tan Hill), when was that?

Re mid life crisis. I think it's been brewing for a few years but it's not really a crisis, more of a re-awakening and a rebuilding of confidence after a sh1tty few years.

Re the ex - there are many other reasons why he deserves to be an ex, didn't see them at the time but hindsight is a marvellous thing. It took me a couple of months after break up for me to realise how much he'd been holding me back. Freedom!! And he would be sick as a dog if he knew about the new van and what he's gonna be missing out on! :lol-053:

I had my first trial trip in the new big white van in Lower Withington near Jodrell Bank a couple of weeks ago, used a campsite called Strawberry Wood which is closed for the winter but there was a few of us and they allowed us to use it without facilities except water and it was great, just like wilding, but on a lovely little peaceful woodland site.

Funny you should mention Bearded Theory, just been looking at the website this morning, had never heard of it but a fave band of mine (& mates of the Levs), 3 Daft Monkeys are playing there. Debating whether to go or not but not sure about going alone.

Just about to book ticket for new Cumbrian festival Nuts in May (website now up and running) - if booked before 5 Jan tickets only 29 & 9 campervan. Fancy meeting up there?

Meeting up pre-Levs on the 17th sounds great, we might go over for the day so that the dog can have a good run before being left in the van for the evening. Keep me posted and we'll swop numbers nearer the time x

cooljules
30-11-2011, 07:15
Never heard of this band........cant be very good then lol

cooljules
30-11-2011, 07:21

Jen - you are a star. Thanks so much, and to DTDog too for his (her?) offer. Even if we decide not to overnight in Sheffield and to drive back to my mate's in Wigan in the small van after the gig, it would be good not to have to leave the dog and the van in the city centre even just for a few hours on a Sat night.

I'll post again once I've chatted to my mate and we've made a plan.

Cheers everyone

left me dog in a camper for a few hours at night. cant see a problem. oh DTDogs a girl, real name is Gloria :-)

whitevanwoman
30-11-2011, 08:07
Never heard of this band........cant be very good then lol

Only known by a select few but have just released a fab single (fab if you like stomping fiddle music) :wacko:
3 Daft Monkeys * ' )' * 'o' * 'C ' * (http://www.3daftmonkeys.co.uk) Aaagghh, can't post the link, so just google 3 Daft Monkeys

left me dog in a camper for a few hours at night. cant see a problem. oh DTDogs a girl, real name is Gloria :-)

The small white van is his mobile kennel, he comes everywhere with me and is used to being left in it whilst at work or if I'm staying with friends overnight (he raids kitchens if left alone or unsupervised so its easier for him to stay in the van out of trouble). Just didn't like the idea of leaving either the van or the dog in city centre on a Sat night just before Xmas. Both are my pride and joy and I'd just worry in case anything bad happened.

Thanks for the heads up about DTDog before I made any embarressing assumptions! ;)

DTDog
30-11-2011, 09:57
Only known by a select few but have just released a fab single (fab if you like stomping fiddle music) :wacko:
3 Daft Monkeys * ' )' * 'o' * 'C ' * (http://www.3daftmonkeys.co.uk) Aaagghh, can't post the link, so just google 3 Daft Monkeys

The small white van is his mobile kennel, he comes everywhere with me and is used to being left in it whilst at work or if I'm staying with friends overnight (he raids kitchens if left alone or unsupervised so its easier for him to stay in the van out of trouble). Just didn't like the idea of leaving either the van or the dog in city centre on a Sat night just before Xmas. Both are my pride and joy and I'd just worry in case anything bad happened.

Thanks for the heads up about DTDog before I made any embarressing assumptions! ;)

Errmmm Thanks for that JULIA (Cooljules).

DTDog is ALL male!! Real name Dave (The Dog).

cooljules
30-11-2011, 12:26

:o

just jane
30-11-2011, 13:03
Drunk in Public at Tan Hill was May 2010, was so good because it was two consecutive nights(I could only stay for one) and the Jon drove up himself and I think slept in his an in the carpark, Simon came over and had a chat and drink with us and the van next to us in the afternoon, just so relaxed and fun :cool1:

Funny you should mention Bearded Theory, just been looking at the website this morning, had never heard of it but a fave band of mine (& mates of the Levs), 3 Daft Monkeys are playing there. Debating whether to go or not but not sure about going alone.

If you like the Levs and 3DM, you will love Bearded Theory, Like Beautiful Days it is no dogs allowed though. It started out as a birthday party for a Levs fan and 3DM played it as a private function, then the following year he put it on again for 500peeps but charged entry and gave profits to charity. The second year we had a tornado(made radio2 and sky news) the main stage was destroyed and the festival almost went bust because of the extra costs(air ambulance, police, fire etc) so the fans took over, they raised money to clear the debt and now a few of the dedicated help run it rather than just the couple of friends that started it(capacity has grown to about 3 thousand). Three Daft Monkeys play it every year.:cool1:

Just about to book ticket for new Cumbrian festival Nuts in May (website now up and running) - if booked before 5 Jan tickets only 29 & 9 campervan. Fancy meeting up there?

It looks a nice little festival, with Weirdigans, and Wizardmarra involved (Ive been to Solfest once) but I have teens doing A levels around that time so dont think I can commit to it, but I will keep it in mind.

Meeting up pre-Levs on the 17th sounds great, we might go over for the day so that the dog can have a good run before being left in the van for the evening. Keep me posted and we'll swop numbers nearer the time x

Ok, as I said Ive no idea where yet, maybe somebody from sheffield,(cooljules?) could suggest somewhere, for me it has to be VERY short walk from the academy because my husband has mobility problems.

whitevanwoman
30-11-2011, 13:03

:o

For years I've been saying that I really must go and get GULLIBLE tattoo'd on my forehead :lol-053:

kimbowbill
30-11-2011, 19:28
DTDog is ALL male!!

erm, thats not what shirley said Dave, lol

just jane
17-12-2011, 05:21

Hi Whitevanwoman, Ive no idea where we are meeting up yet, I know there will be many Levs stalkers in the Kelham area attempting something called the Kelham crawl(sounds messy to me), Im not sure if we will go that far or just find somewhere close to the academy, it depends how my husband feels because he can t walk very far.

my mob number is ******** you can txt me if you like and we may be able to find each other or we may not but Im sure there will be many friendly faces around, Levs stalkers are usually easy to spot.

whitevanwoman
17-12-2011, 08:04
Hi JJ, thanks for the message. I don't think we're going to be doing a pub crawl as we'll be pushed for time, aiming to be in Sheffield, hopefully parked at Jen's, by 4pm so that we've got time to give the dog a good leg stretch and then get some food. Not sure how long it will take to get into town from Jen's. We're driving back after the gig, not staying over, so don't want to have to keep stopping for a wee!

I'll text you once we get into town, we might be able to meet at a local pub or at the door and at least get a chance to say hello. In case I don't see you later, have a great time tonight :wacko:

just jane
19-12-2011, 09:18
Hi whitevanwoman, I hope you had a good night on Saturday shame we didnt meet up.

I think that you should look at the Bearded theory website again and if you are considering going, buy your tickets very soon because the latest band announcements will help it sell out soon. If you need to be able to take your dog then it may be possible to get round that by volunteering to litter pick, the litterpickers have a small compound near the campsite to themselves(not within the festival) and the bloke who ran it had his own dog with him.

whitevanwoman
20-12-2011, 08:17
Hi JJ, had a great night, hope you did too. It was gone 6.30 by the time we'd parked up at Jen's, got the bus into town, and got something to eat so we went straight in and bagged a decent spot upstairs on the balcony (cos being a short @rse from past experience I usually spend gigs on tiptoe trying to see over people's heads). I wanted to get my gig T-shirt early before all sizes except XXL sold out, and then BTTP started and we didn't want to move and lose our spot. I did wonder if you were upstairs in the middle of the balcony by the doors, as there were some people sitting down there.

Thanks v much for the heads up about Bearded Theory, cracking line up, so I've registered interest in stewarding. I might even get a ticket now just to be on safe side (I presume ticket costs will be refunded for stewards) if my bank balance can stand it. Are you going? I hope we'll get a chance to meet up at a festival something next summer.

Hope you have a great Crimbo x

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS