PDA

View Full Version : dunkirk port area , propane bottle

novice1968
14-12-2011, 13:34
Dock 1am in a couple of weeks time, anyone knows where at port area I can park up till morning please
Also need to get a FRENCH propane bottle for heating in the morning before moving inland where do I go to get it please
Any suggestion/advices please TA TA!

shortcircuit
14-12-2011, 13:53
Use the aires at Gravelines which is beside the marina and close to Dunkirk. You should be able to pick up gas at the nearby supermarket which you can see from the aires.

Dezi
14-12-2011, 14:29
Dock 1am in a couple of weeks time, anyone knows where at port area I can park up till morning please
Also need to get a FRENCH propane bottle for heating in the morning before moving inland where do I go to get it please
Any suggestion/advices please TA TA!

Several years ago we arrived at similar time & just followed the lorry drivers into this parking area until moring.

Most large supermarkets stock LPG

Dezi

steco1958
14-12-2011, 14:37
If you want you can stay outside the ticket office at dunkirk harbour, used it several times with both caravan and motorhome.

At that time of night you don't want to be faffing around.

novice1968
14-12-2011, 14:39
Use the aires at Gravelines which is beside the marina and close to Dunkirk. You should be able to pick up gas at the nearby supermarket which you can see from the aires.

thanks for the info But i do not really want to drive to an aire at 1am disturbing everyone hence only want to park up somewhere near till morning

Dizi
thanks also, is this location near port area ? (on second thought will look it up in Google)

novice1968
14-12-2011, 14:47
If you want you can stay outside the ticket office at dunkirk harbour, used it several times with both caravan and motorhome.

At that time of night you don't want to be faffing around.

just the info i need many thanks never been to dunkirt before Is the ticket office easy to locate at that time of night ??

MOS
14-12-2011, 14:58
Hi at the island by the entrance to the ferry terminal keep over to the right hand side and follow the signs for the ticket and booking office it will run alongside the ferry entrance for about 100 yds and take you into a good size carpark directly in front of the office ,good spot used it regularly
hope you have a good one ,happy travels
MOS

steco1958
14-12-2011, 15:02
just the info i need many thanks never been to dunkirt before Is the ticket office easy to locate at that time of night ??

Yes it is, as you come off the ferry, if you look diagonally to your left you will see the area

novice1968
14-12-2011, 15:08
thanks now parking sorted
the bottle----I am using a 13kg calor at present is there a same size french bottle i can get to fit the locker and how to buy it at the supermarket at Dunkirt please, i hvae got the fitting from my regulator to fit the french bottle

grath
14-12-2011, 15:33
thanks now parking sorted
the bottle----I am using a 13kg calor at present is there a same size french bottle i can get to fit the locker and how to buy it at the supermarket at Dunkirt please, i hvae got the fitting from my regulator to fit the french bottle

There is a SuperU across the water near to the Graveline aire. I am pretty sure that their fuel station also sell gas.
I can't help with how to buy as I have refillable cylinders.

bigmillie
14-12-2011, 19:13
Not sure re the gas

We arrived at the port about 7 hours before our 0200 sailing, and as DFDS wanted extra emu's we just parked by the ticket office and watched tele no problems at all

Interesting point the drinks machine in the ticket office although pricey does take all the coins from 1 cent upwards so you can get rid of all your shrapnel :cool1:

Regards Charlie

Tony Lee
14-12-2011, 22:29
Big supermarkets with fuel outlets - Carryfour for one - have big racks of LPG bottles of all different sizes, styles and brands. Check out the posters for any that have a promotion running. We bought a 13kg one - Carryfour branded but got it at a small supermarket in Loundenvielle for 1 Euro consignment and 20 euro for the contents. You may need an adaptor depending on what system you have. Generally a choice of Butane or Propane

bevo
15-12-2011, 18:48
i think you may struggle to get a gas bottle in one of the supermarkets.

we were behind a french lady who was buying a gas bottle she had to hand over all sorts of id and came away with a big printout of the transaction,
it took ages for her to get one. :boat:

Croftland1
15-12-2011, 21:25
i think you may struggle to get a gas bottle in one of the supermarkets.

we were behind a french lady who was buying a gas bottle she had to hand over all sorts of id and came away with a big printout of the transaction,
it took ages for her to get one. :boat:

I got one easily - just had to fill out a form

And yes, the Super U at Gravelines does sell a full range of gas bottles at the petrol station. It's just self service for fuel only on a Sunday though.

shortcircuit
15-12-2011, 21:42
thanks for the info But i do not really want to drive to an aire at 1am disturbing everyone hence only want to park up somewhere near till morning

Dizi
thanks also, is this location near port area ? (on second thought will look it up in Google)

I assume if you do not want to disturb anybody, regardless of where you park, you will be freewheeling in or pushing your MH in? I get the impression you have never stopped on an aires? and if so they are very informal. As you will appreciate Gravelines being so near to the Ports is a favourite and MH come and go 24hrs, so noise is not a problem

novice1968
03-01-2012, 14:15
stayed outside ticket office at Dunkirk overnight no problem at all at least 4 other vans there. THANKS for your infos

Also got 13kg propane bottle at Carafour supermarket Very healful staff as I did not speak a word of French
Had to fill in a very simple form (NAME and address only) Cost of propane was higher than expected 30euro and 10 euro deposit. On my way for a bit of adventure.
Happy new year to all

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS