PDA

View Full Version : Abbotsbury

Billy Ruffian
31-12-2011, 17:47
50.659908,-2.599297 CR Abbotsbury Swannery
Car park primarily for the swannery but is a public car park. Nice views.

Canalsman
31-12-2011, 17:56
Same question as for the car park in Abbotsbury - are there any posted restrictions?

I suspect this car park, because it's tied to the Swannery, may not be suitable for overnight stops ...

westbay
31-12-2011, 18:03
Correct, it's not a public car park. It's owned by the estate. You might get away with a night, but swannery staff are in and out every day (even when closed) and knowing the estate, you are more than likely to get shoved off.

PS same for the village CP. I live in the next village and they even make us pay for a 10min stop!!

Billy Ruffian
01-01-2012, 07:14
There are no signs up. People who worked at the swannery certainly new we were there but no one said anything. It is out of season though. It's marked on OS maps as a car park - doesn't that make it a local authority car park?

westbay
01-01-2012, 09:36
It's marked on OS maps as a car park - doesn't that make it a local authority car park?

No it doesn't. Built by the estate on land owned by the estate, maintained by estate etc etc - and boy do they let you know it ! !

If you want a stop over in this area I'd try the beach CP (not the tropical gardens, go further down to the bend in the road). Again, all estate owned, but they make a daily charge and from what I understand the ticket man doesn't seem to mind the odd overnighter. Most likely because of the large number of fishermen that come down for a night's fishing off Chesil beach, the odd van with people in it doesn't stick out. There are toilets also.

A lot of vans park up for the night along the coast road - up Abbotsbury hill. A number of new laybyes have been built in the last year overlooking great views. Again, the odd night seems to go unchallenged.

Billy Ruffian
01-01-2012, 12:15
We also stopped in the Limekiln car park up Bishops Lane as per the Wild Camping POIs. Small car park and great views. We looked at the beach car park but there were already a couple of motorhomes there.

jamesuk
21-01-2013, 19:59
i have stayed in the 'Swannery' car park a couple of times... once visited the Swannery and stayed after and the other time arrived late at night and went to visit when they opened. Was not bothered either time.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS