PDA

View Full Version : Dog Passports

MORGANTHEMOON
03-01-2012, 21:44
Help!
We are hoping to venture to France this year and would like to take our miniture daxy Nessa.
She has a passport but it seemed complicated to take her to France but I've heard the rules are changing.
Can anyone help me with this?

DTDog
03-01-2012, 21:50
Help!
We are hoping to venture to France this year and would like to take our miniture daxy Nessa.
She has a passport but it seemed complicated to take her to France but I've heard the rules are changing.

I'm sure there is a post about this from ages ago, but I am also very interested in the experience others have found with this.

I plan to take the van in to Spain (through France) in the Summer and it would be easier taking the dog with us.

hdeagle
03-01-2012, 22:02
If you look at the DEFRA website you should find all the info you are looking for.
url for the page is listed below.

Hope it helps :pc:

Travelling with pets « Defra (http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/)

lotty
03-01-2012, 22:14
Help!

try this website, it's got all the info you need for pet passports

Defra - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (http://www.defra.gov.uk/)

Polly
04-01-2012, 09:20
Hia
September 2011
I took my dog Izzy last September to France and if I can do it anyone can

She got her passport and I waited the 6 months to go.

we travelled from Dover to Calais and she travels in a crate/cage
at the ferry ports we were allowed to walk around and stretch our legs
onto ferry no probes where she stayed in her crate.
straight off the ferry
while I was in france I went to an information office where they phoned the vets. i spoke to the lady that spoke English and made an appointment to fit in with my return

The vets I had chosen was recommended in a blog
we went the day before my return where Izzy had flea and tick treatment and worming tablet and a medical check over and passport signed and stamped

ferry home lady asked about Izzy and checked her passport and then we zapped her chip and that was it.

returning to dover I was pulled over by pet control where he asked a couple of friendly questions checked her passport and then had a look at her when i say look that is all think checking I only had 1 dog

easy peasy lots of English with there dogs in France

when I said waited 6 months that is the first time out after that you can come and go as you please

not checked the new ruling as I am going up Scotland this year

channa
04-01-2012, 09:32
the main differences seem to be the 6 month rule has been relaxed to 21 days , after a rabies jab, process differs regarding chip,rabies test blood test in so much has no mention of a blood test which confirms the serum has been effective

On return to the uk only worming is required now and the time scale has changed from 24 - '48 hour time window to 24 - 120.

All seems a lot easier
Channa

DTDog
04-01-2012, 10:14

Not sure, but I think you are okay to take your dog across the Scotish border without a passport ?!!! ;-)
:lol-053:

cooljules
04-01-2012, 10:19
the main differences seem to be the 6 month rule has been relaxed to 21 days , after a rabies jab, process differs regarding chip,rabies test blood test in so much has no mention of a blood test which confirms the serum has been effective

On return to the uk only worming is required now and the time scale has changed from 24 - '48 hour time window to 24 - 120.

All seems a lot easier
Channa

the reason now 3 weeks and no test of the blood is because the failure rate is v v v v low so they accept its good enough. as arthur was done years ago. and now wittmann will be done when i can. price has also come down a lot.

they still hadnt agreed what to do to get back in the last time i checked (there was talk of just doing it yourself without going to a vet) but looks like that didnt happen. i never use vets in france, they charge so much extra for the tourists

channa
04-01-2012, 11:08
the reason now 3 weeks and no test of the blood is because the failure rate is v v v v low so they accept its good enough. as arthur was done years ago. and now wittmann will be done when i can. price has also come down a lot.

Interesting, on the basis Léon failed his test first time round, and so did my colleagues dog both french hounds although the vet stressed it was a rare occurence. ( to be fair I have wondered whether paperwork was manufactured for the rescue home i;e dodgy)

One point that is worthy of a mention for the ex pats living abroad, get the rabies booster done in the UK the renewal is every 3 years as opposed to 12 months on the continent.

There is nothing to stop a UK vet stamping a french passport and stating renewal 3 years down the line.

I have spoken with French : Dutch and UK vets and the explanation as to why the uk stipulates 3 years still remains shrouded in mystery.

Channa

cooljules
04-01-2012, 11:19
Interesting, on the basis Léon failed his test first time round, and so did my colleagues dog both french hounds although the vet stressed it was a rare occurence. ( to be fair I have wondered whether paperwork was manufactured for the rescue home i;e dodgy)

One point that is worthy of a mention for the ex pats living abroad, get the rabies booster done in the UK the renewal is every 3 years as opposed to 12 months on the continent.

There is nothing to stop a UK vet stamping a french passport and stating renewal 3 years down the line.

I have spoken with French : Dutch and UK vets and the explanation as to why the uk stipulates 3 years still remains shrouded in mystery.

Channa
is it 3 years?? i know when arthur had his 2nd booster type, it was longer than the orig amount of time, the vet saying the new one last longer as better

i had been over many times with arthur, but when in berlin last time i found out my old man dropped dead, so had to get back straight away, did the vets as normal in germany, got to the french customs and they wouldnt let athur back in....the vet (years before) had never filled in the date of his microchip, hadnt been picked up before. they had to fone, fax, email DEFRA over here to find that date out, but got a later ferry.

channa
04-01-2012, 11:36
is it 3 years?? i know when arthur had his 2nd booster type, it was longer than the orig amount of time, the vet saying the new one last longer as better

i had been over many times with arthur, but when in berlin last time i found out my old man dropped dead, so had to get back straight away, did the vets as normal in germany, got to the french customs and they wouldnt let athur back in....the vet (years before) had never filled in the date of his microchip, hadnt been picked up before. they had to fone, fax, email DEFRA over here to find that date out, but got a later ferry.

Thats pretty heavy CJ to deal with ;;;;yes the British re innoculation is 3 years the continent certainly France and Holland 12 months ...in all honesty I was hawk like with the french vets making sure things were proper the slap happy attitude doesnt help you when trying to get home

Plus I love my hound , He repays my love with ducks but another story, and wild pigs well wow:ninja:

Wild pigs ducks aside, changing a thermo couple I arrive outside a mobile to find toddlers tying balloons around his collar and Léon lets them happily do it .......
channa

cooljules
04-01-2012, 14:21
Thats pretty heavy CJ to deal with ;;;;yes the British re innoculation is 3 years the continent certainly France and Holland 12 months ...in all honesty I was hawk like with the french vets making sure things were proper the slap happy attitude doesnt help you when trying to get home

Plus I love my hound , He repays my love with ducks but another story, and wild pigs well wow:ninja:

Wild pigs ducks aside, changing a thermo couple I arrive outside a mobile to find toddlers tying balloons around his collar and Léon lets them happily do it .......
channa

yeah that weekend was a nightmare, care had broken down in Dresden (well fuel pump was leaking....more revs meant more diesel peed out) and while waiting a day or 2 to get it fixed so i could get back, i was with a friend in Berlin having a drink, both speaking english as she wasnt german either, when i had the crap kicked out of me by 5 or 6 football hooligans (thing was, as i spoke german i knew what as going to happen as soon as i left, which gave me time to get my friend out of the way which was all i was thinking about). face was a mess, body but only a night in a krankenhaus. and i thought once the french customs let me and arthur back to england i thought yey nothing can go wrong.

but the brit cops arrested me. said my car was stolen. i showed them my documents, why my face looked a mess and that my dad had died (ok step dad, but he brought me up, never had a real dad) and they felt sorry and let me know, as they knew where i lived etc.

about a month before, i get a new campervan, so sent off the logbook, also sending off saying i didnt own my old one (straight swop for vans), BUT they had wrote to me, saying my car V5, they had made a mistake, so here was a new one, and send back the old one........ i did, but they did the paperwork like i didnt own the car (instead of the van) so on records it was no known driver, so the cameras at dover picked it up.

will check arthurs pet passport later. i had him in 2010 , hoping hes still alive to have one more trip to germany and around europe. i went crazy with my vet saying how could be make such a stupid mistake. i know mistakes happen but they go over the passport to check it a couple of times.

Oh the good news was i did make it to my dads funeral in time...but not before gatecrashing the wrong one (i can laugh about it now)

channa
04-01-2012, 15:05
gatecrashing weddings ,birthdays and barmitzphers ok but a funeral darent ask :dance:

When I is dead would love it, I hate the rsepect of religeon when more often than not the deceased was not a practising whatever ..

When I is dead lets have fun 1963 - ? fill in the blank.

life is a party then you snuff it great ....

A funeral should be a celebration of life not an opportunity to wallow in self pity and self rightgheoudness ...wrong spellin I know

Channa

oh dear , I am being chastised elsewhere already

goldi
04-01-2012, 15:31
Read the defra website until you understand everything. Go to your vet who will know everything. Make sure the vet in fFrance stamps and signs everything (they are pretty clued up) You now have 5 days inwhich to get to the port istead of 48hrs. Hope this helps.

norm

channa
04-01-2012, 16:02
Read the defra website until you understand everything. Go to your vet who will know everything. Make sure the vet in fFrance stamps and signs everything (they are pretty clued up) You now have 5 days inwhich to get to the port istead of 48hrs. Hope this helps.

normThank you for re iterating what i have already suggested.

The vet will know everything In the Uk perhaps but abroad definitely not the case I would beg to differ your assumption that French vets know the gig....I had to watch them like a hawk ...and yes I lived in France for 2 years so I speak from personal experience not hearsay.

In the defence of Uk vets perhaps a lesion of a gerbils ear is more common practise than issuing a passport

What does seem missing from the defra site is the status of the vet in the UK in respect of vaccinations.....the original doctrine is that the animal had to be jabbed up by a defra approved vet .....not all vets are in fact very few.

Channa

staline
31-03-2012, 16:10
Hi there,
does anyone know of vets details, to get the obligatory worming tablet, tick/flea check etc;in,around Calais,
also the cost if known,many many thanks,lee.

n brown
31-03-2012, 16:57

norm

when we brought back my son's dog it was 48 hrs to get from algarve to port including a vet visit,the portugese vet said sod that,these microchip readers don't worknhalf the time and the french and english ones don't have records of portugese ones,its all a load of crap,i'll sign it, fill the dates in yourself.at the port they couldn't find the chip even though i saw where it went in,and said theyll sort it out in england,customs there gave a quick look at the passport,more to check there was one and that was it.theres a lot in life i don't get and this just goes on the list,just after quarantine

PiloteGalaxy
03-04-2012, 15:24
I think you'll find that certain "rules" have changed now. As long as the dog is microchipped, then I think you can travel just 3 weeks after a rabies jab. No need for blood tests these days.
BUT please don't take my word for it - best to check with a vet.

Hia
September 2011
I took my dog Izzy last September to France and if I can do it anyone can

She got her passport and I waited the 6 months to go.

we travelled from Dover to Calais and she travels in a crate/cage
at the ferry ports we were allowed to walk around and stretch our legs
onto ferry no probes where she stayed in her crate.
straight off the ferry
while I was in france I went to an information office where they phoned the vets. i spoke to the lady that spoke English and made an appointment to fit in with my return

The vets I had chosen was recommended in a blog
we went the day before my return where Izzy had flea and tick treatment and worming tablet and a medical check over and passport signed and stamped

ferry home lady asked about Izzy and checked her passport and then we zapped her chip and that was it.

returning to dover I was pulled over by pet control where he asked a couple of friendly questions checked her passport and then had a look at her when i say look that is all think checking I only had 1 dog

easy peasy lots of English with there dogs in France

when I said waited 6 months that is the first time out after that you can come and go as you please

The Grand Wanderer
21-04-2012, 18:21
Just got back from europe.
As others have said once passport has been issued by british vet you can bring your pet back into the UK 21 days after Rabbies inoculation.
You get up to 120 hrs now between getting your pet wormed and re-entering the UK. No need to have them Fleaed or Ticked.
There is a nice Aires at Saint Venant with free electricity by the canal and there is a vets there.
Not sure about costs as I had my baby's anual jabs and her rabbies booster done as well. Total cost 50 euros.
Here is a link to the Saint Venant tourist web site Saint-Venant, France Tourism - Holiday Reviews - Travel Deals - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g1917539-Saint_Venant_Pas_de_Calais_Nord_Pas_de_Calais-Vacations.html)
Regards,
Wanderer

landydriver
21-04-2012, 18:47

corrigadri
29-04-2012, 19:17
Just been to France and Spain and found it very easy on Eurotunnel, 10 mins to have our dogs chip/passport checked and at least your beloved pet travels with you in the car. Just remember to go to the pet check in on the right just before you go to the check in booths.
Cost 27 euros at the vet in Empuria Brava for the worming treatment and passport completion.
Shop around at the UK vets though for the cost of the passport and rabies jabs one quoted £450 but we paid £140 and that included the rabies follow up blood test.

corrigadri
29-04-2012, 19:21
I forgot to say that our dog did not have to be checked in on the outward journey to France at Eurotunnel, just on the way back.

Alaska Guy
06-05-2012, 19:38
Just thought I would share my recent good experience with travelling to France and beyond with two dogs. 1993 Autosleeper Renault Trafic, a 10-year old Weimeraner-Pointer cross and a 6-month old Alaskan Malamute - big boy.

We wanted to visit Holland during tulip season (April 2012), so we planned ahead (Sept 2011).
First stop - Defra web page.
Then micro-chips and accompanying certificates from our local vet.
Rabies shots, blood tests - and let six months elapse.
Obtained the dog passports from our vet (March)

Ferry tickets booked via P&O online £148 (January)including pets, £15 per pet, per journey, so £60 total for pets.

April 24, got to Dover, checked in. Hung the "2 dogs on board" card on the mirror. Boarded the ferry. Left dogs with water and some fresh air, they just went to sleep. Passengers are not allowed on car decks during the voyage.

Prior to the return trip, we had to get he dogs vet-checked for general fitness to travel, and have the a) worming + b) tick treatments, which we did within the 24-48 hour window prior to travel. The Dutch vet practice were really cool, paying good attention to the filling in of the two sections in the passports, especially getting the dates right.

May 1, arrived at Calais. Checked in with P&O, who checked the passports and handed me a small scanner to check the microchips. Two beeps, hand it back, repeated for each dog. P&O man stamped the passports, handed over the mirror hanger plus a window sticker that had to stay on until we cleared Port of Dover. Then we boarded the ferry.

At Dover, we just drove off and went home. Could not have been easier. After bringing dogs back from Alaska, this was a doddle!

MORGANTHEMOON
06-05-2012, 20:14
Thanks for all the feedback. It's good to hear of other peoples experiences.

Bluewaters2812
03-06-2012, 15:55
Help!

My understanding from my vet is that the rules changed in (January 2012 I think). They have been relaxed and all that is now required is an injection about 3-4 weeks before intended departure. Your vet will have more info for you as well as the links provided in some of the other responses. We are also entering France from the Dover ferry in late July with our little Jack Russell and have received the info I have mentioned from our vet. Hope this helps.

ScoutingSquirrel
03-06-2012, 21:02
The change in timing is an absolute godsend ... as, at times, getting down from the far north of Denmark, or from Southern Sweden, to Rotterdam or Calais has been a pain at best ...

It was 24-48 hours for getting into the UK but 10 days for getting back to Sweden!
Our Swedish vet, and actually a Luxembourg one as well, said 'What day and time would you like me to put?'
which kind of makes a mockery of the system ...

Our other niggle was Amber getting two lots of flea and worm treatment within a month which wasn't really good for her body ... the worming was supposed to be a three-month dose so it worried me a bit to have it not much more than three weekly. Much better for the dog's to lose that requirement, for immediately before travel, and just keep a record that shows they are generally up to date on such things, just in case anyone asks.

The interesting, and rather inconvenient, extra requirement we've had this time is that poor pooch has to have a muzzle ...
I do hope that they won't require that whilst she's in the car, we don't normally use the kennels - I think only once when we weren't given a choice - because she's much happier and more comfortable in the bus.

Amber's a star traveller, she really is, it was only on the three day trek back up from Brittany that she started to sulk about going back int he car after comfort stops ... she's on her second passport and has one GB fully filled in and one Swedish one getting that way!

Helen

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS