PDA

View Full Version : Robins Hood Well North of Doncaster A1 Southbound.

channa
04-01-2012, 01:49
I recently heard a rumour this layby on the A1 was closed ..........Stopped here New Years Eve and as open as ever.

It is one of the better locations for an overnight stop in the Doncaster area in so much as it is set back from the main road and noise is reduced.

That is of course unless you have the misfortune of a refrigerated trailer pull up behind you ......:rolleyes2: This is a popular overnight stop for the truckers and last reasonable layby before the A1 M southbound

Channa

Old_Arthur
04-01-2012, 06:44
bandit country be-aware
Truck driver is seriously hurt as he fends off fuel thief gang - Doncaster news - Doncaster Free Press (http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-news/truck_driver_is_seriously_hurt_as_he_fends_off_fue l_thief_gang_1_3782753)

channa
04-01-2012, 07:34
bandit country be-aware
Truck driver is seriously hurt as he fends off fuel thief gang - Doncaster news - Doncaster Free Press (http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-news/truck_driver_is_seriously_hurt_as_he_fends_off_fue l_thief_gang_1_3782753)

Unless the repôrt is wrong it says he was parked northbound and not on the southern side as my post mentions.

If it is the northside it sounds like they crossed fields via the quarry road from Skelbrooke.

What is alarming is the northside is very exposed the layby big enough for 4 0r 5 trucks and directly adjacent to the carriageway.

Southside holds 25 trucks is secluded and offers better pickings, perhaps safety in numbers, and definitely quieter at the weekend,

Good info

Channa

grath
04-01-2012, 07:57
Is this the southbound lay by that has an old weigh bridge on the right and a transport yard on the left. A few mile before the M62

channa
04-01-2012, 08:28
Is this the southbound lay by that has an old weigh bridge on the right and a transport yard on the left. A few mile before the M62
It is indeed

Channa

grath
04-01-2012, 08:30
It is indeed

Channa

Ahr, I know it well, had quite a few little daytime sleeps there:sleep-027::sleep-027::sleep-027::sleep-027:

Canalsman
04-01-2012, 16:06
I think you mean A1(M) rather than M62 ...

grath
04-01-2012, 16:21

No what I meant and was understood by Channa is that as you are driving down the A1or A1M it is just a few miles before you get to the M62

channa
04-01-2012, 16:23

Nope the title of the thread gives it away, a read of the thread would make clear that the spot is A1 not A1(M) just before infact last layby before
the A1(m) southbound the M62 is approx 12 miles northbound

Channa

grath
04-01-2012, 16:26
I got it wrong as well. Yes the M62 is north of it, but it;s the M18 I think which is a few miles south of it.
Sorry, I used to drive it quite regular with my truck probably on autopilot. I know the roads without looking at the numbers.
You know the one I mean which runs across to the M1

channa
04-01-2012, 16:53
all is forgiven:D, yes the M18 is about 8.. miles south ....not a bad spot was my point for anyone traversing North south ....still northbound and Wentbridge is a good spot a fantastic pub too the blue bell serves fish the size of a shark :o the furniture inside is mouseman of kilburn ...robert Thompson ....it is no more than an overnight stop but a pleasant one

Channa

madria
04-01-2012, 21:12
As Channa says there's a long lay-by good for a rest spot at Wentbridge just off the A1 northbound (But by crossing over A1 its only 500 metres from the southbound) its the old A1 Great North Road, the pub Blue Bell is good for beer and food, if you go through the village you'll cross over the River Went, there's a plaque on the bridge to commemorate Robin Hood who operated in the Brockedale and Barnsdale Forrest robbing the travelers as they struggled up the steepish hills in and out of the village and the surrounding area, there lookout was the hillsides behind the Blue Bell . You can also walk down the valley (bit muddy in places) footpath directly off the "T" junction in village under the A1 bridge to Kirk Smeaton , Shoulder of Mutton nice old pub there and an unsteady walk back.

madria
04-01-2012, 21:14
Doubled up

channa
04-01-2012, 21:23
As I recall Wentbridge was famous in its day for the thieving and trading of babies.

The Robin Hood tales you speak of eminate around Barnsdale bar or at least the earliest story of his exploits started there ..

I worked with an old trucker who drove lorries in the old days before the bypass was built ..;He told tales of in winter lorries struggling to climb the hill ...and fires under the diesel tanks to de wax and thaw the fuel before moving on ..

In all a fascinating area which has a rich history and yet is only seen from 70 mph on the A1 ...but shush, speak about it too much we might invite a few touritos lol

Channa

channa
04-01-2012, 21:29
the layby on the Old North A1 is actually one of my favourite haunts, far enough from the modern A1 to be quiet from traffic and easy walking distance from the Blue Bell if I feel the need. Good views too and no rowdy neighbours it doesnt get any better

Channa

Amethyst
04-01-2012, 21:38
Hi Channa

Is it only the layby you use for the Bluebell or can you stop at the pub?

Rob

madria
04-01-2012, 21:41
Cousin lives in cottage just off "T" junc in village, me - just far enough off Barnsdale Bar not to be disturbed by A1 traffic (and baby kidnappers lol)

madria
04-01-2012, 22:03
Hi Rob, The car park is'nt very big and has quite a slope on it so never asked and it gets very busy at times and cars have to park on the road, however just by the river bridge (250 meters from pub) the road widens and you maybe ok in a small unit there, but maybe abit of road noise early moring for vehicles heading up to A1 northbound or on the road outside the pub facing up the hill, if you dont mind abit of a tilt.

Mick

madria
04-01-2012, 22:12
Hi Rob - the car park looks bigger than I thought , just looked on Gmaps, but still on a slope - plenty of cars on the road though

Amethyst
04-01-2012, 22:12
Thanks Mick ....thats a shame I like to be off the road if using a pub so will try to find layby if I get to use it.

channa
04-01-2012, 22:24
Hi Channa

Is it only the layby you use for the Bluebell or can you stop at the pub?

Rob

I have never asked to stop in their car park albeit it is quite large but on a very steep incline , For my money overnight in the layby lazy morning and lunch at the Old bells alternatively evening meal and retire to layby

Channa

madria
04-01-2012, 22:29
Hi rob, G-maps it and its 400/450 mtrs up the hill from the pub, B6474 just before it joins the A1, usually quiet/wide enough to do a 3 point turn to spin round to get back to A1 southbound as well

channa
04-01-2012, 23:05
tbh a better spot than Robin hoods well , but harder to describe how to find it ...

as suggested 450 metres from a good pub, and quieter in respect of traffic noise from the A1

Channa

Canalsman
04-01-2012, 23:15
Just here ? Wentbridge, UK - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/7o5bu83)

Amethyst
05-01-2012, 07:59
Thanks all

Rob

channa
05-01-2012, 08:40
Just here ? Wentbridge, UK - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/7o5bu83)

Thats the one

Channa

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS