PDA

View Full Version : Shell Island

solarman
04-01-2012, 17:17
just wondering if any body goes on Shell Island,we have been a couple of times although it;s not true wilding it;s as near to it on a campsite location not regimented like most campsites,just thought it would make a good loacation for a meet up,
Solarman.

herbenny
04-01-2012, 17:24
just wondering if any body goes on Shell Island,we have been a couple of times although it;s not true wilding it;s as near to it on a campsite location not regimented like most campsites,just thought it would make a good loacation for a meet up,
Solarman.

Looks like a nice place :wave:

kernowprickles
04-01-2012, 20:07
Hoping to go there in April/May, as it looks great. I love sites with direct beach access, my idea of heaven! (Yes, I KNOW it's not Wild Camping, but it looks a really cool place!)

Randonneur
04-01-2012, 20:45
Shell Island........... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Go at your own risk and avoid like the plague in school holiday times, see my previous thread, ( sorry not sure how to post a link to it). :scared:

It's not that the place itself is bad, in fact it's actually a really nice place and you do have direct access to the beach. You get on to Shell Island by driving across the causeway that links it to the mainland and it's cut off at high tide.

The problem with Shell Island is that it has been overrun with the chav type p***head element of the young locals who see it as a place to spend a weekend getting off their heads on whatever they can pour down their throats or inhale. If you like being kept awake till all hours or dodging cars and vans being driven round with youths hanging out of doors and windows and wading through piles of beer cans and assorted other rubbish and bodily excretions then I'm sure you will enjoy Shell Island.

Sorry to sound so negative but that was my experience of visiting the place about two years ago in august.

I would like to think it has changed since my last visit and if you do go I would be interested to hear what you find, as if it has changed for the better then I would happily visit again.

Like I said, the place itself is nice and would indeed make a brilliant place for a motorhome meet but it's ruined by the type of people who go there. :sad:

jamesmarshall
04-01-2012, 20:49
I tent camped there many years ago and it was supposedly tents only. Camper van owners got round this by pitching a tent and continuing to use the camper van. I don't know if this has changed.
Jim

Randonneur
04-01-2012, 20:59
I tent camped there many years ago and it was supposedly tents only. Camper van owners got round this by pitching a tent and continuing to use the camper van. I don't know if this has changed.
Jim

Camper vans and motorhomes are allowed on shell island. We went many years ago when my wife was my then fiancee, and it was indeed tents only. When I went 2 years ago I think the charge was about 7.00 per person and another 3.00 per night for a motorhome and they gave you a wrist band to wear around the site. What it costs now I don't know.

Like I said in my previous post, if anyone can update us I would be interested.

solarman
04-01-2012, 21:44
Shell Island........... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Go at your own risk and avoid like the plague in school holiday times, see my previous thread, ( sorry not sure how to post a link to it). :scared:

It's not that the place itself is bad, in fact it's actually a really nice place and you do have direct access to the beach. You get on to Shell Island by driving across the causeway that links it to the mainland and it's cut off at high tide.

The problem with Shell Island is that it has been overrun with the chav type p***head element of the young locals who see it as a place to spend a weekend getting off their heads on whatever they can pour down their throats or inhale. If you like being kept awake till all hours or dodging cars and vans being driven round with youths hanging out of doors and windows and wading through piles of beer cans and assorted other rubbish and bodily excretions then I'm sure you will enjoy Shell Island.

Sorry to sound so negative but that was my experience of visiting the place about two years ago in august.

I would like to think it has changed since my last visit and if you do go I would be interested to hear what you find, as if it has changed for the better then I would happily visit again.

Like I said, the place itself is nice and would indeed make a brilliant place for a motorhome meet but it's ruined by the type of people who go there. :sad:
your right about chavs,but i went early in the season around march the first time and there was hardly anyone there i think if you go early you get the mature campers up till may/june then summer hols the chavs come on,i was pleasantly suprised that the whole place wasn't full,i'm going again this year but it will be march/april/may for the best timeusually at the back near the sand dunes for the best access to beach etc,looking forward to it again and i hate chav types,
Solarman.

grath
04-01-2012, 21:51
It was on Holidays from Hell a couple of years ago, you know that exchange holiday thing. Put us off BigTime!
Although, we do know people who say it is nice. As you say, it probably depends on the time of year.
I think that Anglesy is nicer:dance:

solarman
04-01-2012, 22:01
It was on Holidays from Hell a couple of years ago, you know that exchange holiday thing. Put us off BigTime!
Although, we do know people who say it is nice. As you say, it probably depends on the time of year.
I think that Anglesy is nicer:dance:
i like anglesey too,but i find that shell island once you've paid to come on you can pretty much go where you want with no bother as long as the chavs are not on it's okay.

grath
04-01-2012, 22:04
Try Conway marina car park, some nice sand dunes there.

solarman
04-01-2012, 22:08
Try Conway marina car park, some nice sand dunes there.
they have no overnight camping signs there now with barriers.

grath
04-01-2012, 22:12
they have no overnight camping signs there now with barriers.

The last time that we were there the over height barriers were on the car park on the left and the boat launching park was open and would need to be for the high boats.
There are signs but we have parked there many times, council guys have seen us and we have spoken to them and never had any problem.
Although not in high season.
Also many council trucks pop in to have their lunch breaks.
Has this altered recently?

solarman
04-01-2012, 22:19
i don'tknow Grath,i only went the once and this was about 9mths ago.

grath
04-01-2012, 22:22
Here
I would not go in season though as there will be many boats.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4680.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4667.jpg

Here are the dreaded signs, but it is not enforced out of season (or wasn't)
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_4658.jpg

I REPEAT, DON'T GO IN SEASON AS THE CAR PARK WILL BE FULL WITH BOAT TRAILERS AND CARS

Beemer
05-01-2012, 08:59
We spent a night at Shell Island campsite in 2010, I think it was during the summer hols.
We parked on the cliff edge with a brilliant view overlooking the sea and down to the beach where we could keep any eye on our son who did not want to leave the sand even for his lunch.
Our 'pitch' was on the car park really, but we had no noise problems during the night.

The 'van was fully loaded with water previous to arriving so thankfully no water fill up required, because we noticed when leaving the site that a lot of people were having to walk closer to the main reception to get water due to the lack of water pressure at the water point further from the entrance. My wife commented on the blatant disregard for the signs that asked people not to wash their pots n pans at the water supply points. This meant a lot of the water locations were very muddy and dirty, meaning we would not have been able to get the van close enough to the point to fill up.

Would we go again? Yes we would.
Rubbish photos as they were taken using a phone!!!

grath
05-01-2012, 09:12
Thanks for the photo's Beemer
Any photo's are good photo's as you get a feel for the place much better with a pic.
Well, I do:lol-049:

maxsdad
05-01-2012, 09:55
your right about chavs,but i went early in the season around march the first time and there was hardly anyone there i think if you go early you get the mature campers up till may/june then summer hols the chavs come on,i was pleasantly suprised that the whole place wasn't full,i'm going again this year but it will be march/april/may for the best timeusually at the back near the sand dunes for the best access to beach etc,looking forward to it again and i hate chav types,
Solarman.

Yes same here visited in march no problems, you can always move around if it gets to noisey but would always avoid bank and school holidays.
Noticed in the local press that some youth had been detained by the security on shell and later prosecuted by the police for drink driving so it looks as if they are clamping down
There is a really pleasant ccc site on the oposite side of the estuary at Llandanwg if the going gets to tough.:banana:

dave e

solarman
18-03-2012, 20:36
well i am going back to shell island next week for some sea fishing and camping.Normally it's just me and the missus but this time we are taking some younger members of the family who haven't experienced camping yet,we will be avoiding the easter hols by a week so if any one down there stop by and say hello.Will post pics for everyone to see and enjoy.:D

Luckheart
18-03-2012, 22:00

Yes it's got chavs, but treat them as a sort of safari park feature, go for a couple of nights, see them in the cafeteria breakfast queue and see their pain!

I you're self sufficient it is perfect as the facilities are a bit rough and always a long way away. My wife and I go for a weekend in late September with a crowd to say goodbye to the summer.
You can light a fire, dogs are welcome and it is one of those places where you you want to stay up all night talking nonsense.

Get tucked in behind a dune and party on old chap!!

solarman
18-03-2012, 22:27

Yes it's got chavs, but treat them as a sort of safari park feature, go for a couple of nights, see them in the cafeteria breakfast queue and see their pain!

I you're self sufficient it is perfect as the facilities are a bit rough and always a long way away. My wife and I go for a weekend in late September with a crowd to say goodbye to the summer.
You can light a fire, dogs are welcome and it is one of those places where you you want to stay up all night talking nonsense.

Get tucked in behind a dune and party on old chap!!
we did go to the closing party last year but couldn't sit out in the dunes as the weather was quite wet!Yes this time we're having a fire ,taking dogs and talking nonsense hopefully!!

Devadave
11-04-2012, 15:37
Well we go out of season and find it a great location, parked up on the car park down by the beach and was rewarded with a clear sky, some great moonlite views over the beach...we always keep the Motorhome full of supplies so dont have to get in the breakfast que..

Its not too far from our homebase so its doable on a friday night if the tide is good, yep you do have to pay even to visit for a day ticket, but worth the extra to stay overnight, amazing long beaches!

Campsite | Camping | Day Trips | North Wales | Shell Island (http://www.shellisland.co.uk/)

The end of season firework display is amazing but very busy...:rolleyes2:
But go on any bank holiday of school holidays season and yep its mainly the bad noisy element who appear!.:scared:

Randonneur
11-04-2012, 19:25
Have a look at the pics from the twitter feed on their website.

Look at the queue to get off the island on easter monday! :scared:

After what has been said by previous posters I might give it another go this year!! :hammer:

solarman
12-04-2012, 00:49
Well i,m back and i must say we had a great time,took all the family everthing went really well,the younger members loved the sand dunes,my van was full of sand this time as we set camp in some sandy grass area.Still i will be avoiding the bank holidays and the summer days there,don,t fancy the queues coming away or getting on,will try and get some piics up soon.

fairytooth
12-04-2012, 08:35
1. What do you call a Chav in a box?
Innit.

2. What do you call a Chav in a filing cabinet?
Sorted

3. What do you call a Chav in a box with a lock on it?
Safe.

4. What do you call an Eskimo Chav?
Innuinnit.

5. Why are Chavs like slinkies?
They have no real use but it's great to watch one fall down a flight of stairs.

6. What do you call a Chavette in a white tracksuit?
The bride.

7. You're in your car and you see a Chav on a bike, why should you try not to hit him? It might be your bike.

8. What's the difference between a Chav and a coconut?
One's thick and hairy, the other's a coconut.

9. What's the first question at a Chav quiz night?
"What you lookin' at?"

10. How do you get 100 Chavs into a phone box?
Paint three stripes on it.

11. Two Chavs in a car without any music. Who's driving?
The police

12. What do you call a Chav with 9 GCSEs?
A liar.

13. What do you say to a Chav with a job?
Can I have fries with that?

14. What do you say to a Chav in a suit?
Will the defendant please stand

15. Why is 3 chavs going over a cliff in a Nova a shame?
A Nova seats 4

16. What do you call a 30 year old chavette?
Granny.

17. What do you call 100 chavs at the bottom of a river?
A start.

18. Why did the Chav cross the road?
To start a fight with a random stranger for no reason whatsoever.

19. What do you call a Chav at college?
The cleaner.

20. Two chavs jump off beachy head, who wins?
Society

m30
12-04-2012, 19:36
We wre going to go onto Shell Island last weekend, but went onto Glyn's Field just down the road instead, only 7 a night, and Bailey the dog could mooch about as he wanted without anyone bothering.

Stu

solarman
12-04-2012, 23:39
We wre going to go onto Shell Island last weekend, but went onto Glyn's Field just down the road instead, only 7 a night, and Bailey the dog could mooch about as he wanted without anyone bothering.

Stu
I wanted to try glynn,s field when i heard about it,any directions from the shell is land camp as i couldn,t find it before,i will try there next time,thanks,solar man.

Canalsman
13-04-2012, 11:55
I wanted to try glynn,s field when i heard about it,any directions from the shell is land camp as i couldn,t find it before,i will try there next time,thanks,solar man.

You'll find Glyn's Field here 52.784259,-4.116096 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/creuu63)

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS