PDA

View Full Version : who's up for France for 2 weeks, big convoy?

kimbowbill
06-01-2012, 21:36
i will go if a few others are going, dont fancy doing it on my own, i know i got Henry but after RH and having to bark for myself i've lost faith in the bloody mutt

lotty
06-01-2012, 21:39
we'll be up for that :banana:
we get 2 weeks off last week june 1st week july??
xx

grath
06-01-2012, 21:48
As I told Jen, we are possibly putting our house on the market in a couple of months therefore at the moment we cannot make plans, however we do usually go to France and if we did we would certainly be happy to catch up with you somewhere on your voyage.
May I suggest you head a little south and follow a few rivers. Have a look at thread "A few French Aire's for a few idea's. Alternatively, Brittany is nearer but not so good weather and more pay aire's

NicknClair
06-01-2012, 21:53
xx

Lotty you're 2 weeks after us :cry:, have booked the crossing for the 9th June for 2 weeks. That way we are nowhere near any school hols and it will be nice all being well.
All up for a meet otherwise :dance:

solarman
06-01-2012, 21:55
happy to tag along best time is out of season from what i gather on here but can do height of season too,
Solarman.

kimbowbill
06-01-2012, 22:02
xx

yup, that'll be fine for me

lotty
06-01-2012, 22:03
we have them weeks as around us all the potbanks close down but the kids are still in school so its quiet at work for us. We could always look into other dates too, It's our shop so only got to ask ourselves if we can have time off! :lol-053:

When are the school holidays in France, does that make a difference when over there too?

kimbowbill
06-01-2012, 22:05
we have them weeks as around us all the potbanks close down but the kids are still in school so its quiet at work for us. We could always look into other dates too, It's our shop so only got to ask ourselves if we can have time off! :lol-053:

When are the school holidays in France, does that make a difference when over there too?

well when you've had a little word with yourself let us know what you say :(:dance:

grath
06-01-2012, 22:06

School holidays in France are in full swing by mid July. Some stop a week earlier.
We have never had problems getting on an aire even in high season, but it could / would be a different story with lots of vans

NicknClair
06-01-2012, 22:23
School holidays in France are in full swing by mid July. Some stop a week earlier.
We have never had problems getting on an aire even in high season, but it could / would be a different story with lots of vans

True, which is why we always go with the middle of June, just in case. Plus the Ferry/Tunnel crossings are generally cheaper at this time, as it isn't that busy in terms of tourists. Had cracking weather in 2011, hence why we booked again for the same period.

Nolly
06-01-2012, 22:57
We will be fultiming in France. Be great to join in.:drive:

Neckender
06-01-2012, 23:39
France is a motorhomers paradise, if you've never done it before and are worried just do it, the same with taking youre dogs no problems, we took our little Jack Russell Scrumpy last year for the first time she made our holiday.
Also ignore the remarks that the French are ignorant to us Brits, they are very helpfull lovely people .

John.

john t
07-01-2012, 00:40
Make sure you miss the Alps, and the Pyrenees when the tdf's on, or you may end up struggling to find a decent parking spot.!

jt

grath
07-01-2012, 15:40
As I sip a glass of cheap port and just opened a nice bottle of Crianza to let it breath I have just been checking my wine cellar (posh) really my garage, and it's getting bloody low:scared::scared:
Less than a couple of dozen bottles left now:scared::scared:
Roll on France:boat::boat: Can't come quick enough:wave:

MOS
07-01-2012, 16:52
as we are all wild adventurouse type would it be an air and go multy stop round trip, with the option of doing your own thing and meeting later at set points ,or a picking a central place and going off exploring when the fancy takes us ,type of thing .
we usualy do a round trip with a loose idea of where we are going and usualy nothing like the route as it unfolds ,due to whims and lucky finds ,
i supose it depends how far people want to travel or not once in france ?
start at Gravelines and go from there ,the world is your oyster ,any ideas
MOS:have fun:

lotty
07-01-2012, 17:06
as we are all wild adventurouse type would it be an air and go multy stop round trip, with the option of doing your own thing and meeting later at set points ,or a picking a central place and going off exploring when the fancy takes us ,type of thing .
we usualy do a round trip with a loose idea of where we are going and usualy nothing like the route as it unfolds ,due to whims and lucky finds ,
i supose it depends how far people want to travel or not once in france ?
start at Gravelines and go from there ,the world is your oyster ,any ideas
MOS:have fun:

i like the idea of a multi stop round trip and the option of a couple of set meet points for those that want to do their own thing inbetween. Distance isn't a problem with us as we always move on each day anyway, with only having 2 weeks we like to see as much as possible.
:fun:

grath
07-01-2012, 22:23
If you want the weather, head south via Rouen, to Briare which is just south east of Orleans and on the canal. From here the weather should be good and you have quite a few options.

Neckender
07-01-2012, 23:14
If you want the weather, head south via Rouen, to Briare which is just south east of Orleans and on the canal. From here the weather should be good and you have quite a few options.

Get thee sen dine to Hendaye Basque country beautifull place and weather.

John.

grath
08-01-2012, 08:06
Get thee sen dine to Hendaye Basque country beautifull place and weather.

John.

Love the Basque area, particularly the Spanish side. Spent a lot of time trucking through here. I used to find that it could be totally pi**ing down on the French side and drive over the top and the Spanish side would be bright sunshine.
Although many of us have done these sort of distances within a 2 week holiday, it may be too far for some. I would suggest, just south of the Dordogne for the weather, maybe the Lot, Tarn and the Canal du Laterel (north of Toulouse. If this is too far, then the Briare canal or the Loire and Vienne is nice.

witzend
08-01-2012, 08:46
We will be in France April until July so will watch to see where you'll all be and would like to join you for a few days T & C

MOS
08-01-2012, 15:20
Well just to start the process ,how about meeting at gravelines ,just to get our bearings and allow the new french travelers amongst us to get acclimatised and find their feet ,
then head off down towards Riems and the champagne region that could take up a couple of days (sampling takes it out of one )
then swing across towards paris somewhere around Versailes or fontainebleau (good accsess to capital by train and lots to see around the town and pallace ,
then down towards LE Mans (the classic races are on early july so should be stuff going on )
back up to the coast around Honfleur or La Treport for the sea air .honfleur is handy for bayeux
la treport is likewise for Amiens and its cathedral
then up the coast steadily back to dunkirk for the ferry
a couple or three days at each or in between would fill a fortnight and cover about 500 miles in france .
those who want to travel further afield can jump some stops and rejoin later or woosh away and meet up towards the end .
easy and informal would be nice ,and for the new french travelers there would be help and addvice at hand for the old hands a chance to introduce others and see things through new eyes and have a bit of likeminded company with no ties and no obligations to be on hand 24/7
just a starting itinery nothing set in stone other sugestions can be added tagged on or totaly overwriten by better sugestions ,depends how far the newcomers would want to travel or not .
get plotting and planning offer up alternatives or places you would like to introduce others too ,and if there is somewhere you want to keep to yourself just dissapear and visit alone then sling back later all refreshed
ime going to stop rabbling now and see what other have to say about nice places to visit.MOS

lotty
08-01-2012, 15:34
would people be going by ferry or tunnel?

myself, I am unable to travel by ferry so I will have to use the tunnel.
(very severe travel sickness, I even get travel sick in the passenger seat of the car on a 3 mile journey to work!!) :rolleyes2:

kimbowbill
08-01-2012, 15:38
wud deffo be tunnel for me, its so easy on Eurostar, and there in a flash x

MOS
08-01-2012, 15:41
entirely up to the travelers involved as its only 20 od miles between calais and dunkirk it would be easy to meet somewhere inbetween once in france those traveling by ferry could meet either in dover or in france depending when they can get to the ferry ,(work sometimes gets in the way of the finer plans of devout travellers )
MOS

MOS
08-01-2012, 15:44
must admit i prefer the ferry ,find the chunnel pricey and boring ,give me the boat ride anytime

grath
08-01-2012, 15:44
Fort Grande Phillipe is nicer than Gravelines, on the coast with estuary view and a fantastic takeaway at the end of the M/H parking area
Only 2 mile from Gravelines.

Stacetop
08-01-2012, 18:31
We are already booked for France at the end of June it's obviously a popular time of year!! We were there last June and again in September. Can't really comment on aires much but in sept when we used Le tourquet aire it was really busy only spaces as the day trippers/weekenders left. Sites in June and sept had loads of space. We plan to spend most of our time in June on sites as we have a young child but will use aires to break the journeys inbetween.

Nolly
08-01-2012, 18:54
France is a motorhomers paradise, if you've never done it before and are worried just do it, the same with taking youre dogs no problems, we took our little Jack Russell Scrumpy last year for the first time she made our holiday.
Also ignore the remarks that the French are ignorant to us Brits, they are very helpfull lovely people .

John.

Couldn't agree more. Most French people we have met seem to have as much, if not more respect for us Brit's as there own natives.

MORGANTHEMOON
08-01-2012, 20:01
Couldn't agree more. Most French people we have met seem to have as much, if not more respect for us Brit's as there own natives.

I've found that if you try to speak some French they really appreciate that and you end up having a conversation in Frenglish it's really is great fun. I try to order all my shopping in the villages in French they often laugh at my mistakes but in a friendly way.

Some of the worst people I've come across are the Brits.

steco1958
09-01-2012, 08:43
Tour de france, in July !!!!

MOS
09-01-2012, 14:25
Oh bugger and ive lost my bicycle clips somewhere in the shed :dance:

MOS
10-01-2012, 14:58
found them !!
but now i have a flat tyre and cant find a spanner
oh well perhaps ile just watch the other Daft bikers wear themselvs out up them hills :lol-053:
anyone seen a route for the race this year

teemac
10-01-2012, 19:42
France is a motorhomers paradise, if you've never done it before and are worried just do it

John.

also..motorcycle paradise...and the french are wonderful people. (well. anywhere south of paris) :lol-053:

Neckender
10-01-2012, 19:52
Yes motorcycled through France for a number of years, But saddly in October I finally decided to give up Biking and sold My Rocket 3, so dedicating my time to our motorhome.

John.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/harleyjohn/ourrocket3tourer002.jpg

teemac
10-01-2012, 19:56
Yes motorcycled through France for a number of years, But saddly in October I finally decided to give up Biking and sold My Rocket 3, so dedicating my time to our motorhome.

John.

shame!........though i guess this year is probably this will be the first time in 6 years i wont be doing it..:cry:

but i cant reccomend it enough, the country is (huge) stunning, and should be tried at least onnce :bow:

Neckender
10-01-2012, 20:02
Through my wifes disability this is how our rocket finished up before I sold it.

John.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/harleyjohn/IMG_0003.jpg

teemac
10-01-2012, 20:06
oooohhhhhhhh niiiiiiice :cool:

MOS
10-01-2012, 20:09
Yr just saying that ,cus you want a ride
well form an orderly que behind ME !!!!:lol-061:

MOS
12-01-2012, 19:49
anyone know of good aires around the champagne region ,must admit we wildcamped last time we went, and didn't see many signposted as we passed through
MOS

kell
21-01-2012, 15:56
We'll be spending the last two weeks of July around the Brittany Coast and maybe as far south as La Rochelle. Plenty of cheap Aires and wild camping. we and a couple of other 'Outlaws' will be sailing via DFDS to Dunkirk, as that seems the cheapest crossing at the mo..

deanotic
21-01-2012, 16:21
We:wave: go to France for the last 2 weeks in June and usually make our way to Royan on the south west coast but not fussed about where we end up really
I cross to Dunkirk and do the drive across country taking the b-roads and generally see where we end up .:wave:

kimbowbill
07-02-2012, 05:14
I think it will be going ahead once i have my van sorted i will start a new thread for dates, places etc

lotty
07-02-2012, 17:23
Were defo still on for it. Hubby is doing me head in wanting go France! :D

steco1958
07-02-2012, 19:52
I think it will be going ahead once i have my van sorted i will start a new thread for dates, places etc

I will chat to you about it when we meet in April at the pub if you don't mind !!

grumpy2
07-02-2012, 20:11
Hi all
we are going over on June the 10th for 2 weeks, would be nice to meet somewhere if pos, we have toured france/germany/italy etc by car and motorbike but this will be our first trip in our van with our dogs cant wait,
will keep an eye on this thread to see where you all go.
ron

Neckender
08-02-2012, 05:14
We're going over June 16th for three weeks so please leave us some room over there.

John.

sinner
08-02-2012, 12:54
hope there is room for a wee one :() will be heading over around the 20th june....

kimbowbill
08-02-2012, 20:00
I will chat to you about it when we meet in April at the pub if you don't mind !!

yeah for sure, i'm up for it, and i know Lotty is, she and her hubby are coming to the BW meet so we can discuss strategy for our convoy,

kimbowbill
08-02-2012, 20:04
Karen says HURRY UP with the date as got to book holiday now ! lol

oh ok i will start a new thread, this will get ignored by some maybe

lotty
08-02-2012, 20:04
Karen says HURRY UP with the date as got to book holiday now ! lol

I'm looking around last week June, 1st week july for 2 weeks. Starting around 23rd June, give or take a few days either way if that suits?

channa
08-02-2012, 20:10
Hoy you, still got the Wilko curtain ring in me pocket, Never mind this Francais lark , palms and tea leaves to read get a grip......woman

The french eat garlic wiv everything you know ..............mmmm......see how that grabs yer.

Garlic CORNFLAKES ( never seen it but I bet they does )
....Leon the french hound agrees :):tongue:

Can I come ? :)

Channa

kimbowbill
08-02-2012, 20:22
Hoy you, still got the Wilko curtain ring in me pocket, Never mind this Francais lark , palms and tea leaves to read get a grip......woman

The french eat garlic wiv everything you know ..............mmmm......see how that grabs yer.

Garlic CORNFLAKES ( never seen it but I bet they does )
....Leon the french hound agrees :):tongue:

Can I come ? :)

Channa

al accept that ring when a c thee ont coconut shy, wen tha gus darn on bendin knee, lol.

garlic? on evrythin? even on bread? lol

and corse you can come my lovely, thal be mi hubby, tha waint av a choice :tongue:

runnach
08-02-2012, 20:30
garlic? on evrythin? even on bread? lol

Mrs R is French, I can vouch for the garlic..............mince and tatties, with "garlic". Fish & Chips, with "garlic". Haggis, tatties n neeps, with "garlic". Strawbs & Ice Cream, with "garlic". I get my own back in the wee small hours when I pull the duvet over her head, better than any alarm clock :lol-053:

wanderwoman
24-02-2012, 11:20
yeah for sure, i'm up for it, and i know Lotty is, she and her hubby are coming to the BW meet so we can discuss strategy for our convoy,

Hi - just spotted this - can another tag along? :drive:

sinner
24-02-2012, 14:50
i am booked 24/06/12 so anyone see me gives a wave :)))

veedubmatt
24-02-2012, 15:22
Sorry cant go have not got Breathalyser kit in van for france:raofl:

lotty
24-02-2012, 21:44
i am booked 24/06/12 so anyone see me gives a wave :)))

We are going over on that date too, Driving down to tunnel on the 23rd catching early train on Sunday (hopefully) Give us a wave if you see us :wave::wave:

sinner
24-02-2012, 22:33
We are going over on that date too, Driving down to tunnel on the 23rd catching early train on Sunday (hopefully) Give us a wave if you see us :wave::wave:

hi lotty, i am booked on the ferry @ 5pm ish, will be looking for somwhere to camp for the night asap, as this is my first trip to france in the van i will just be chilling wandering about slowly.

lotty
25-02-2012, 10:21
hi lotty, i am booked on the ferry @ 5pm ish, will be looking for somwhere to camp for the night asap, as this is my first trip to france in the van i will just be chilling wandering about slowly.

our 1st time too! :scared:
same thing for us I think, just take our time and see where the van takes us.
Hope you have a fantastic time.
:drive:

sinner
25-02-2012, 15:22
well its now not going to be my first time lol. booked a wee 2 week jaunt 1st April - 16th April so will have a wee look around see whats what :))
My wee lass has talked me into taken her to a couple of theme parks and 2 mates have given me free tickets to disneyland 3 & 4 April so that should be fun and i will pick another park to go see.

Alan

scubydoo
27-02-2012, 17:16
well when you've had a little word with yourself let us know what you say :(:dance:

We are flexible so let us know you movements (don`t mean bowls ether!)

wanderwoman
28-02-2012, 15:33
i will go if a few others are going, dont fancy doing it on my own, i know i got Henry but after RH and having to bark for myself i've lost faith in the bloody mutt

Hi - is this trip on/off? being a newbie I seem to have lost the plot on where this suggestion got to :confused:

lotty
28-02-2012, 16:20
Hi - is this trip on/off? being a newbie I seem to have lost the plot on where this suggestion got to :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think the convoy is off but we are still going at end of June if u fancy meeting up somewhere?

wanderwoman
28-02-2012, 19:19
Hi - is this trip on/off? being a newbie I seem to have lost the plot on where this suggestion got to :confused:

I think the convoy is off but we are still going at end of June if u fancy meeting up somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this - where are you going & for how long?

grath
28-02-2012, 20:20
I don't think it is a case as the convoy been off as it never really has been on.
My observation is that everybody seems to want to do different things and at different times. Very difficult to get everybody together at the same time with work commitments.
Possibly the way forward is for someone to say we are going on such a date and going to such a place or area and anybody is welcome to join and make a convoy.
Not me as I like to do my own thing, and I usually travel further south than I think the possible convoy would venture, but if I was in the area, I would be pleased to join for a couple of days.

sinner
28-02-2012, 20:35
well I am heading over on the 26th june would be happy to meet up if anyone was about then, heading over for 6 - 7 weeks so not sure where we wll end up.

Alan

lotty
28-02-2012, 22:09
Thanks for this - where are you going & for how long?

We are going over on the tunnel on the 23/24 June. (not booked yet, saving our tesco points for vouchers still) We have 2 weeks off work. Have no set plans as to where we are going as never been before just going to see what and where we like. We want to visit the war graves at some point in Brittany.

lotty
28-02-2012, 22:12
well I am heading over on the 26th june would be happy to meet up if anyone was about then, heading over for 6 - 7 weeks so not sure where we wll end up.

Alan

We'll be going 2 days before you, would be good to meet up with you if we are heading in the same direction at some point?

sinner
28-02-2012, 22:18
We'll be going 2 days before you, would be good to meet up with you if we are heading in the same direction at some point?

would love to lotty :) i have no idea where we are heading and even less of a plan so should be good to meet :0

lotty
28-02-2012, 22:24
would love to lotty :) i have no idea where we are heading and even less of a plan so should be good to meet :0

will keep in touch with you closer to the time :banana:

will have to get oursleves a wildcamping window sticker so we can recognise eachother.

grath
29-02-2012, 07:33
Regarding using Tesco points for the tunnel.
My own opinion is that the tunnel is expensive compared with some of the ferry deals available (DFDS around 50/70 return) and you can use the points on other things and get better value by paying for a ferry and using the points elsewhere, maybe even a ferry to Ireland.

lotty
29-02-2012, 09:02
Regarding using Tesco points for the tunnel.
My own opinion is that the tunnel is expensive compared with some of the ferry deals available (DFDS around 50/70 return) and you can use the points on other things and get better value by paying for a ferry and using the points elsewhere, maybe even a ferry to Ireland.

I know what your saying Graham but there is no way I'd go if I had to go on a Ferry! I get the worst travel sickness known to man, air, sea even a 10 minute journey in the passenger seat of the car makes me sick! :scared: Ive tried tablets, pressure point bands, even bought an electric pulse watch for 150, still the same!!
That's why I do all the driving in the van, my hubby in 3 years has driven it once and that was to take her for a service! You should see him, sat there within arms reach of the fridge for his next beer and sausage n cheese buttie! :beer:
We're taking the dog with us too and I don't like the idea of leaving him in the van for the ferry trip while we have to go up top!

We probably won't get enough points to pay for the return ticket but "every little helps" :raofl:

spigot
03-03-2012, 09:49
I don't think you can get a tunnel trip from France to UK on Tesco as it only works in England. best check. You may be able to book a return with vouchers.

lotty
03-03-2012, 11:10
I don't think you can get a tunnel trip from France to UK on Tesco as it only works in England. best check. You may be able to book a return with vouchers.

Sorry Spigot, I think you misunderstood my sarcasm?
I am in the UK. Will be booking a return trip and using whatever vouchers i collect as part payment. I was just joking that I may not have enough points to pay for the whole trip. :wacko:

wanderwoman
04-03-2012, 15:13
We are going over on the tunnel on the 23/24 June. (not booked yet, saving our tesco points for vouchers still) We have 2 weeks off work. Have no set plans as to where we are going as never been before just going to see what and where we like. We want to visit the war graves at some point in Brittany.

Hi - I went with friends to the beaches/war graves - it was very emotional I have to say and very memorable - go to Bayeux to see the tapestry - also amazing. There's an area just off the main street area of Bayeux where campervans parked within the main car park to the town- I think I also saw toilets for their use.
Not too far away is the Pegasus bridge - also worth a visit..
have a good one.

mikeakabigman
07-04-2012, 10:20
Hi - I went with friends to the beaches/war graves - it was very emotional I have to say and very memorable - go to Bayeux to see the tapestry - also amazing. There's an area just off the main street area of Bayeux where campervans parked within the main car park to the town- I think I also saw toilets for their use.
Not too far away is the Pegasus bridge - also worth a visit..
have a good one.

I can confirm this is a good place for an overnight and very convenient for most of the sights in town. we stopped there in summer 2010. There are toilets nearby, manned and locked at night, very clean. There is also a water fountain with drinkable water. The parking is called Parc Michel Ornando, co-ordinates are 49 16 24.27 N 0 42 08.76 W

Haaamster
08-04-2012, 09:38
I know what your saying Graham but there is no way I'd go if I had to go on a Ferry! I get the worst travel sickness known to man, air, sea even a 10 minute journey in the passenger seat of the car makes me sick! :scared: Ive tried tablets, pressure point bands, even bought an electric pulse watch for 150, still the same!!
That's why I do all the driving in the van, my hubby in 3 years has driven it once and that was to take her for a service! You should see him, sat there within arms reach of the fridge for his next beer and sausage n cheese buttie! :beer:
We're taking the dog with us too and I don't like the idea of leaving him in the van for the ferry trip while we have to go up top!

We probably won't get enough points to pay for the return ticket but "every little helps" :raofl:

Have you tried ginger biscuits, seriously they work.Always use them on the ferry after being pointed at and laughed at by a gang of school kids who shouted to their mates "Hey there's that bloke that threw up on the floor,chuckle, chuckle"
Little tykes, why I oughta :hammer:
Anyway I had to laugh when leaving and spotted a giant skid mark right through the middle of the contents of my last meal.:wacko:

vindiboy
11-04-2012, 19:41
IMO if a bunch of you intend to roam France using Aires you are going to run into parking problems, some will get on some wont, last time I was at Gravelines for instance there were few places left vacant and that is now not a free Aire. I have done the convoy thing and that was only 6 vans and someone always fell behind and got lost.despite the plan to always keep at least one van in sight.turned out to be a real pain, go by all means and I sincerely hope you all have fun, personally I like to travel alone and meet up as and where.

scubydoo
27-04-2012, 11:34

Hi
My wife Susie and I are crossing the Channel at Dover on 6th June on our way to Galicia so would love to have Brits with us on the way down. No route planned yet except that we intend staying at my brothers house in Normandy over the first night.

BambiOwner
27-04-2012, 12:53
Hi all we will be there from 4th July for 3 weeks we will be going over on the train and once there following the coast, it would be good to meet some of the people from here if we are in the same place at the same time.
Bambiowner:lol-053:

lotty
27-04-2012, 16:32
Hi all we will be there from 4th July for 3 weeks we will be going over on the train and once there following the coast, it would be good to meet some of the people from here if we are in the same place at the same time.
Bambiowner:lol-053:

we will be heading back towards the train for return on the 7th July. Also thinking of following the coast and then back.
If you see us give us a wave (we have our WC sticker in the windscreen), would be lovely to chat with you if you are in the same place at the same time.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS