PDA

View Full Version : wild camping

cadetboy2
17-01-2012, 12:06
Hi I have just registered with your site can anybody tell me how long you can camp in one place for.

Barbt
17-01-2012, 12:14
There aren't any rules - but don't let it look like you're staying put for some time. We tend to stay a couple of days then move on.

Firefox
17-01-2012, 12:19
It depends where and whose land. But if wild camping on someone else's land, in theory 0 days, in practical terms 1 or 2 days, in extreme terms as long as you can get away before they serve an eviction notice.

If camping in your own woodland or on a site which has a licence for short term camping there's various regulations according to circumstance, one being 28 days.

whitevanwoman
18-01-2012, 01:19
I think it's 3 weeks on common land

Randonneur
18-01-2012, 07:26
There are no hard and fast rules, but as a responsible wildcamper, the old adage of "don't outstay your welcome" I think should be used.

The longer you stay in one place, the more likely you are to not only antagonise the locals, but you're giving them the excuse they need to get height bars and barriers put in! And you also muddy the ground for those wildcampers who follow you.

It's not about what the law does or does not allow, it's about being responsible in your actions and consideration for the local area and residents, and those campers who follow after you.

billi
19-01-2012, 07:58
i av seen some "pasture land" 4 sale on ebay,and it is cheap.i know u cant build on it or av a semi-permanent structure(caravan).but does anyone know about mh,s 4 a nite or 2!!-billi

whitevanwoman
19-01-2012, 08:11
i av seen some "pasture land" 4 sale on ebay,and it is cheap.i know u cant build on it or av a semi-permanent structure(caravan).but does anyone know about mh,s 4 a nite or 2!!-billi

check with the local council, there may be planning restrictions or land use restrictions

Marilyn
19-01-2012, 10:21
We stay only one night at a wild camping spot and then move on. If we leave no trace behind and are only there for one night we're most unlikely to annoy anybody, particularly as we try never to stop within sight of a house. Also, we never put out camping chairs or table or use the awning when wild camping - it's very obvious that you're 'camping' then - if you just look as though you're parked then it's more likely no-one will be bothered.

Consideration for the feelings of the locals is a must as far as we're concerned.

Billy Ruffian
19-01-2012, 10:43
We stay only one night at a wild camping spot and then move on. If we leave no trace behind and are only there for one night we're most unlikely to annoy anybody, particularly as we try never to stop within sight of a house. Also, we never put out camping chairs or table or use the awning when wild camping - it's very obvious that you're 'camping' then - if you just look as though you're parked then it's more likely no-one will be bothered.

Consideration for the feelings of the locals is a must as far as we're concerned.

Marilyn has got it spot on. We also now make a point of clearing litter up wherever we wildcamp - it only takes 5 minutes while the kettle's boiling and if the locals see you litter picking it makes them happy to see you there. And if they're not happy you can always show them the bag of litter and ask them why they had not picked the litter up from their prized site!

Firefox
19-01-2012, 11:22
With stuff like pasture and woodland that you own, if there aren't any local covenants or restrictions, you can stay/camp on the land in a caravan or similar for the purposes of managing your land for up to 28 days a year.

In practice you can stay longer than this so long as it isn't ALL the time. You'll only get pulled up if some NIMBY makes a record and complains to the council.

bezbez
22-02-2012, 22:18
Hi I have just registered with your site can anybody tell me how long you can camp in one place for.

How did you find wild camping sites on Wildcamping website please? I joined last week but can't figure out how to get into places to camp free on this website, am I just thick? cheers bez

kimbowbill
22-02-2012, 22:47
How did you find wild camping sites on Wildcamping website please? I joined last week but can't figure out how to get into places to camp free on this website, am I just thick? cheers bez

you will need to download the POI files, but you will have to become a full member to download them

Canalsman
22-02-2012, 23:37

Or you can go here Wild Camping Sites (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-sites/) and browse the entries :)

Regards

Chris

dlball
03-05-2012, 03:24

Check this out. The AnswerBank - post questions and answers, and discuss topics of interest. (http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/) Living in a caravan on my own land.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS