PDA

View Full Version : Stairhaven

rebbyvid
12-05-2007, 18:03
Heres a post from a motorhomefacts member which will interest a few of us.

Until recently the public car park adjacent to our home at Stairhaven in Dumfries and Galloway was fitted with a height barrier, following complaints from allegedly people living in the larger village of Glenluce the barrier has been removed.
Here at Stairhaven we only have four permanently occupied homes with a further four holiday homes, we are situated, as is the car park next to the sea at the head of Luce Bay.
Before the height barrier motorhomes free camped here regularly, as I understand it there was no resentment from the locals that is till the local travellers moved in and caused a problem.
The travellers have a permanent council provided site two miles away so have no need to invade us.
So to the point of my letter, rather than have the site full of travellers now the barrier has been removed I would welcome freecamp motorhomers, there is a public toilet adjacent, there is even a slipway for boaters.
If you were to contact me first I can make my wireless internet connection available to Wi Fi users.
American motorhomes may not be able to pass between the remaining vertical posts, if you intend to use the car park email me first and I can tell you the width between the posts, I can also give you an update on who and how many people are on there.
There is nothing illegal about using he site, just don’t make a mess or keep us up!

Email guzzi_2000_uk@yahoo.co.uk

Rob

rebbyvid
12-05-2007, 18:06
heres another post on same ---member is Gussijim
We’ve have had a few motorhomes here already this year and the height barrier has not been reinstalled.
Had a look at the width between the old barrier posts and an American RV will pass through.
The toilets are looked after by a local taxi driver and there is fresh water.
So I repeat again email me a guzzi_2000_uk@yahoo.co.uk and I can give you details of current weather and whether there are any M/homes already in residence.
There is one return bus a day into Stranraer via a round about route, the nearest pub the Cock Inn is three miles away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

home jpg.jpg
Description:

Filesize: 112.72 KB
Viewed: 20 Time(s)

hillwalker
12-05-2007, 18:32
sound's good , i'll give a try.. cheers m 8..

rebbyvid
12-05-2007, 18:38
sound's good , i'll give a try.. cheers m 8..
He has put a pic on the site now ==looks really good and a very good offer
Rob

hillwalker
12-05-2007, 18:44
He has put a pic on the site now ==looks really good and a very good offer
Rob
IT LOOKS GREAT FOR THE FISHIN.. WORTH A TRY , DEFO..

rebbyvid
12-05-2007, 19:34
IT LOOKS GREAT FOR THE FISHIN.. WORTH A TRY , DEFO..
Believe so ==will try next year Hilly
Rob

hillwalker
12-05-2007, 19:39
Believe so ==will try next year Hilly
Rob
i'll be try'n it very soon , ..

rebbyvid
12-05-2007, 19:47
i'll be try'n it very soon , ..
let us know what its like

hillwalker
12-05-2007, 20:47
let us know what its like
will do, u'll see my pics..

grath
12-05-2007, 20:58
Rob, that is a very good & informative couple of posts.
Thank you.
regards Graham:) :cool:

Charlie
10-09-2007, 19:15
Just been on this site, very nice but when I was there, there was also a caravan, which may spoil it as the authority's don't seem to like them and may put barrier back up, hope not as its so quiet.

boyo1414
12-09-2008, 13:47
We stayed there in Sept 08 and had a quiet night but on leaving in the morning we noticed a shiny new sign that informed "Picnic Site" lower down was "no overnight camping" in smaller letters,,, good job we didn't notice it the night before :rolleyes:

scooter
11-04-2009, 00:54
We stayed there in Sept 08 and had a quiet night but on leaving in the morning we noticed a shiny new sign that informed "Picnic Site" lower down was "no overnight camping" in smaller letters,,, good job we didn't notice it the night before :rolleyes:

No over night camping signs in Scotland dont mean a thing the scottish act of parliament over rides any such signs giving people the right to camp,unless due to any serious problems caused then the local council can enforce a bylaw ,in which case the sign is required to display such information,any sign just stuck up by any Tom Dick or Harry means nothing .
From what i have been told over the years things have changed here and a few residents dont want motorhomes overnight parking.
BTW the freedom to roam act only covers camping in tents which is peoples right to do in any area not covered by a local bylaw,however it does'nt cover vehicle camping unless it is used for the purpose of a disabled person giving the equal rights to camp

meldorado
01-02-2010, 18:01
We stayed at this sight before all the new houses were built there was just an old static on the hillside and a lady called Carol who lived in the house by the slipway who also cleaned the toilets. A great place very quiet and peaceful

Randonneur
01-02-2010, 18:08
Anyone know if this place is still ok to use. We're coming up the west coast later on this year and it sounds an ideal stopover place.

Braighe
21-03-2010, 22:23
Anyone know if this place is still ok to use. We're coming up the west coast later on this year and it sounds an ideal stopover place.

Hi! This was an excellent stop over - spent a good few nights there 2008.

Returned 2009 to find No Overnight Parking signs. I believe there was trouble with travellers.

However there are quite a few places between Stairhaven and Port William that we have used that are ok.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS