PDA

View Full Version : Why why why...(insurance)

defitzi
24-01-2012, 16:53
:juggle:
why wont/don't insurance companies- brokers - offer third party and/or alternate vehicle?
seems to me that's the best risk any in surance firm can undertake. especially where a low value camper (I have two) is concerned? Seems to me there is no shopping around these days ffor anything other than the preboxed policy -and damn few if any real brokers... just box ticking salesmen trying to sell policies from big companies and quite unab le or forbidden to engage outside the box.
Particularly is it a good risk in the case of two vehices on third party only- only one can be at risk at best assuming one is not superhuman an capable of driving two campers at once?:egg:

MOS
24-01-2012, 17:11
AAAAH you are assuming they want to save you some money ,silly boy :scared:

channa
24-01-2012, 17:13
are you making a statement or asking a question

Northerner
24-01-2012, 17:24
Are you suggesting that, as you can only drive one vehicle at a time, that you should only pay one premium?

If that's the case I can see one flaw, in that insurers don't just pay out when you have an accident in a driven vehicle. They also pay out if it's stolen, or goes up in flames through dodgy wiring or someone else runs into it when it's parked.

So you could be driving one vehicle and have an expensive accident whilst, back at the ranch, someone is nicking your second vehicle. Would you then expect them to pay out on both, or would you be prepared to accept that only the vehicle that you are actually driving will be covered and that you won't get a penny for the other one? I wouldn't want to take that risk.

channa
24-01-2012, 17:38
Are you suggesting that, as you can only drive one vehicle at a time, that you should only pay one premium?

If that's the case I can see one flaw, in that insurers don't just pay out when you have an accident in a driven vehicle. They also pay out if it's stolen, or goes up in flames through dodgy wiring or someone else runs into it when it's parked.

So you could be driving one vehicle and have an expensive accident whilst, back at the ranch, someone is nicking your second vehicle. Would you then expect them to pay out on both, or would you be prepared to accept that only the vehicle that you are actually driving will be covered and that you won't get a penny for the other one? I wouldn't want to take that risk.
no not the case businesses are charity ; crikey heaven forbid the word profit, may all buisenesses make a loss(forget the mortage)
tis is theway
channa

maureenandtom
24-01-2012, 17:47

Way back when I was a wildcamping biker, I used to have such a policy. Norwich Union called it the "Rider Policy" and when I googled it a few minutes ago I came up with this.

rider type policy back then - Bike Chat Forums (http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=71174)

I hadn't thought of the snags you mention and no idea how Norwich Union coped with them.

donkey too
24-01-2012, 18:22
Just got my cover for my new second van. went away from AF for this one and choice quoted me 298 conprehensive with no no claims also rac cover in UK and 90 days EU cover.
went to be wise and told them what I had been offered and they said they will match the qote but also give me 70 quid off as I have a car insured with them. So 228 quid ain't bad in my book. I now have 1 campervan (Bongo), 1 Motorhome & 1 Spitfire for 600 quid and 1 KA with my young daughter learning on it for 600. all fully comp with RAC cover.

Firefox
25-01-2012, 00:14
Second vehicles can be dodgy ground for insurers. Especially as some people try to get cheap insurance for their children, for example having them as named drivers, it can get very murky as to who drives which vehicle for what mileage. Clearly the risk depends on that, and some people try to cheat insurers by having a young named driver doing a lot of miles in that vehicle and not fully declaring it. I think most insurers find it easier to manage the risk by having one policy per vehicle along with limitations on drivers and/or milage for that vehicle.

defitzi
27-01-2012, 12:18
:wacko: what is it you guys dont understyand about.....THIRD PARTY? WHAT I AM ABOUT IS THIRD PARTY NOWT ELSE....THINKING OF CLASSIC VEHICLES YOU SEE V ERY LIMITED MILEAGE AND RATHER UNLIKELY TO INCUR LARGE CLAIMS.....DOES THAT PUT A DIFFERENT COMPLEXION ON THINGS? COME TO THINK ON IT WHY NOT 6 OR 3 MONTHS EITHER? WELVE MONTHS FOR A WAGON YOU ONLY WANT TO DRIVE IN sUMMER AND PLEASE DON'T SAY I CAN GET A REFUND 'COS ANY RFEFUND i'VE EV ER HAD HAS BEEN EATEN AWAY MORE THEN AN OLD CARDIGAN IN A WARDROBE WITHOUT MOTHBALLS.....:banana:

defitzi
26-02-2012, 21:54
are you making a statement or asking a question

:wacko:sort of both mate

defitzi
26-02-2012, 22:03

:idea:
many moons backi had such a policy...third party only ch policies ie one vehicle at a time in use but more than one covered used to be common .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS