PDA

View Full Version : Myguide pnd 4328

paul9531031
25-01-2012, 17:56
I have a very cheap satnav from Myguide (company now defunct). It has a directory in it called POI, containing many files, called, e.g., Spain.poi If I open one in an editor it is not a text file. Do any of the files in your database have files called something.poi? Would there be any point in copying such a file into the POI directory? Unfortunately there seems to be no manual for this device. Thanks for any help.

Viktor
25-01-2012, 18:07
Try this...POI EDITOR (http://www.poieditor.com/)

I would try changing the extension if necessary from .poi to the other extension endings one at a time any you might get lucky if none of these conversions work.

Canalsman
25-01-2012, 18:24
I have a very cheap satnav from Myguide (company now defunct). It has a directory in it called POI, containing many files, called, e.g., Spain.poi If I open one in an editor it is not a text file. Do any of the files in your database have files called something.poi? Would there be any point in copying such a file into the POI directory? Unfortunately there seems to be no manual for this device. Thanks for any help.

I researched this a while ago and found this document (using Google) http://up.sur-la-toile.com/iiKg

However the link to download the software seems to be dead.

I did find the software elsewhere and have it on my computer.

I don't know whether or not the instructions work ...

The POI Downloads are only available to Full Members (15 per year) - so if you sign up, I'd be happy to email you a copy of the software for you to try. No guarantees though.

A better bet frankly is to get a secondhand TomTom or Garmin device. We have a member, FairyTooth, who sells secondhand sat navs and may be able to assist you.

Regards

Chris

Nosha
25-01-2012, 19:14
I would have a look on gpsunderground, as many sat navs are covered.

steco1958
25-01-2012, 19:42
[QUOTE=Canalsman;

A better bet frankly is to get a secondhand TomTom or Garmin device. We have a member, FairyTooth, who sells secondhand sat navs and may be able to assist you.

Regards

Chris[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, by the time you have messed around, got frustrated, joined yet another forum (GpsUnderground or GPS Datateam), just not worth the effort !!

wints
26-01-2012, 07:46
I read a few years ago that folk were converting their 'myguides' to read tomtom.
Just out of curiosity it may be worth a google.

regards
Allen

paul9531031
26-01-2012, 16:55
Thanks everyone for your thoughts - as you can see I have signed up to full membership, and PMd Fairytooth about a secondhand GPS.
My new question is: Does anyone know of a GPS program which will run on a PC? I use a Samsung Q1b tablet PC with a plug-in GPS receiver for the Fugawi OS map program - its bigger screen makes reading the map much easier and my van's power supply seems to keep up with it easily - so what I'd like is a GPS program which runs on a PC and accepts one of the Wildcamping POI file formats. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Canalsman
26-01-2012, 17:23
My new question is: Does anyone know of a GPS program which will run on a PC? I use a Samsung Q1b tablet PC with a plug-in GPS receiver for the Fugawi OS map program - its bigger screen makes reading the map much easier and my van's power supply seems to keep up with it easily - so what I'd like is a GPS program which runs on a PC and accepts one of the Wildcamping POI file formats. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Glad you've signed up :) You'll find the POIs are quite remarkable ...

I look after the database, and prepare the downloads, and Memory-Map 2005 and Autoroute 2010 files are included. Both these programs support GPS devices.

The data is also provided in various CSV formats for sat nav devices, and GPS Exchange format. And Google Earth KML as well ...

I'm sure you will be able to use the POI data with pretty much any PC based GPS aware software.

Regards

Chris

AuldTam
26-01-2012, 17:27
I read a few years ago that folk were converting their 'myguides' to read tomtom.
Just out of curiosity it may be worth a google.

regards
Allen

Yes you can run TT on myguides...we have two in the family running TT, I still use my old navigo running TT western europe map. It works great for me so why change it. I can still update the latest POi's and speedcams.

Only problem i find with it running on TT is that it takes an age to find the sats from start up, sometimes up to 5 minutes.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS