PDA

View Full Version : Just joined but can't see how to get the list

Teene
26-01-2012, 18:05
Just joined but can't see how to get the list of wild camps, please help. I payed via paypal about 10 minutes ago.
Thanks Teene

MORGANTHEMOON
26-01-2012, 18:09
Just joined but can't see how to get the list of wild camps, please help. I payed via paypal about 10 minutes ago.
Thanks Teene

I've also joined today and can't work out how to get the POI list.
I've just sent a message to Phil for help

Sparks
26-01-2012, 18:13
Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php)

channa
26-01-2012, 18:13
Thanks Teene
i suspect when phil receives paypal monies your status will be changed,,,,,,,patience,

channa

deanotic
26-01-2012, 18:16
Phil got the money and he's on his way to the airport :lol-049::lol-049::raofl::raofl::raofl:

Teene
26-01-2012, 18:55
Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php)

Oh dear, think I may have made a mistake joining. I thought I'd be able to print off the list of sites so I could read it at my leisure. I don't want it just for Tom Tom. Can it be printed too and if so how?

I know, women eh....

Canalsman
26-01-2012, 19:04
Oh dear, think I may have made a mistake joining. I thought I'd be able to print off the list of sites so I could read it at my leisure. I don't want it just for Tom Tom. Can it be printed too and if so how?

I know, women eh....

There isn't a hard copy facility - it isn't feasible for 3,700 places ...

Best suggestion is to use Google Earth to explore areas that you're interested in, then print map sections from there.

Regards

Chris

channa
26-01-2012, 19:06

I know, women eh....
i think you can download and study at your leisure on google earth,,,,,,,,,pity you dont want more from the forum than whiffy

channa

Teene
26-01-2012, 19:14

Best suggestion is to use Google Earth to explore areas that you're interested in, then print map sections from there.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, see what you mean, guess I didn't understand. I'll have to run with it for a year. We were going to use it to plan a long long trip but will have to do it the hard way. Despite what Chana says (and I don't understand what he meant, is it a code for something) I have been using the site for information too. I'm just not tech minded so like the old paper myself.
Teene

channa
26-01-2012, 19:19

Regards

Chrissees we cross posted

great minds and all that

channa

Teene
26-01-2012, 19:25
I've also joined today and can't work out how to get the POI list.
I've just sent a message to Phil for help

Hopefully you've seen the replies I've had and it's helped you. I still don't understand how to see where I want to go on google earth as I don't understand these things (takes me all my time to use the internet haha) and if I did manage to find google earth and the area how would I know what bit to download and print and how would I do that on the road cos we definitely don't take our printer with us. Sorry to ramble. Hope you have better luck :)

Firefox
26-01-2012, 20:09
I use Google maps which is another way.

In your download zip there is a file ending in .kml

You need to upload that to a webserver eg at Free mp3 hosting, upload mp3 | upload file direct link - Kiwi6.com Mp3 Upload (http://kiwi6.com/) where you can get a hotlink to the file.

Then you paste the hotlink to your file into the address bar (on google maps) and click search and all the locations are displayed with pin marks on a map of GB which you can zoom in on etc. I don't use sat nav so this is what I use on the move, using a laptop and 3G dongle modem.

If you can't manage to do this, PM me and I can help you.

Teene
26-01-2012, 20:49
I use Google maps which is another way.

In your download zip there is a file ending in .kml

You need to upload that to a webserver eg at Free mp3 hosting, upload mp3 | upload file direct link - Kiwi6.com Mp3 Upload (http://kiwi6.com/) where you can get a hotlink to the file.

Then you paste the hotlink to your file into the address bar (on google maps) and click search and all the locations are displayed with pin marks on a map of GB which you can zoom in on etc. I don't use sat nav so this is what I use on the move, using a laptop and 3G dongle modem.

If you can't manage to do this, PM me and I can help you.
Thank you, I'm going to try that as well so I have the spreadsheet and on google maps (It's like a new language to me)

MORGANTHEMOON
26-01-2012, 22:31
Hopefully you've seen the replies I've had and it's helped you. I still don't understand how to see where I want to go on google earth as I don't understand these things (takes me all my time to use the internet haha) and if I did manage to find google earth and the area how would I know what bit to download and print and how would I do that on the road cos we definitely don't take our printer with us. Sorry to ramble. Hope you have better luck :)
I am struggling also I've tried to follow the instructions for google earth.
Clicked on the KLM file but then it keeps asking me to download goole earth, I do that but I'm stuck then and I can't see any temporary files.

I'm losing it slowly pc will go through the window soon.

channa
26-01-2012, 22:41
I am struggling also I've tried to follow the instructions for google earth.
Clicked on the KLM file but then it keeps asking me to download goole earth, I do that but I'm stuck then and I can't see any temporary files.

I'm losing it slowly pc will go through the window soon.a quick pm to uncle firefox will be productive,presumptive on my part but i am sre he will help,,,,,,,just remember at a meet to feed the lad whisky
channa

Canalsman
26-01-2012, 23:15

Hi Teene

1. Go here Google Earth: Google Earth Download (http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earth/download/ge/) and download Google Earth to your computer and install it.

2. Once that's done, using Windows Explorer find the Wild Camp.kml file on your computer - this will be in the Google Earth folder wherever you've downloaded and unzipped the files.

3. Double click on the Wild Camp.kml file - Google Earth should load and show all the wild camping locations as pushpins. You can drag the map around and zoom in to show more detail.

4. Take a look at this thread http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12549-google-earth-poi-installation.html for more information, and tips on how to change the appearance of the pushpins and their labels.

5. Once you've got things looking how you want them, and you've zoomed in to the area or areas you're planning to travel to, print the map.

See how you get on, and don't be afraid to experiment or ask for more help.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS