PDA

View Full Version : Western Front

champstar
29-01-2012, 20:34
Hi all..planning to head to France later this year around Sept to do a extended tour of the Western front battlefields and war graves. Can anyone suggest some good aires or campsites or even wild spots to help along the way. This will be our first time in France.

Traceyh
06-02-2012, 14:38
I belong to another forum and some one posted the following about visiting the same area - not sure if the link will work, here's hoping

Arques Motorhome Campsite Review (http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Campsites&op=display_results&csid=3432)
On the way back to Dunkerque we stayed at the very pleasing municipal campsite at Arques as we needed EHU. However, you can also stay at the aire, which is by the lake behind the camp site, for the princely sum of 2 euros per night!

We also stayed on the aire at le Touquet and another near Ault -

deanjo
06-02-2012, 21:14
Hi all..planning to head to France later this year around Sept to do a extended tour of the Western front battlefields and war graves. Can anyone suggest some good aires or campsites or even wild spots to help along the way. This will be our first time in France.

we'll be doing france this year for the first time with the motorhome,,,however i've done it many times on the bike and the war graves etc are well worth visiting,very sobering..

channa
07-02-2012, 06:44
we'll be doing france this year for the first time with the motorhome,,,however i've done it many times on the bike and the war graves etc are well worth visiting,very sobering..

I totally agree, and perhaps whilst not in Northern France, St Nazaire, and Oradour sur Glane are notably worthy of visiting.

As you say all of it very sobering

Channa

martyn
07-02-2012, 09:24
hi Champstar,
I've travelled thro france a lot and visited many of these sites. your best bet is to use either the "France passion" book from vicarious books (web based) or, prob' better for this part of france, 2 websites - motorhomes facts and a french site (although easy to work out, if your french is as rusty as mine !) - camping car. These latter 2 give maps of the whole of france, you choose the department and then it lists all of the aires in that area (shown on a map).
if you fancy treating yourself, could I suggest 1 bed and breakfast that you just have to spend 1 night there. It's in belgium, close to "wipers" and the Menin gate (you have to go to the last post) called Varlet farm. It was fought over by both sides but the interesting point is that the owner is a tour guide and will answer any questions esp if tracing relatives, you meet other people researching family members and the best is that her husband has converted a barn into a museum of what he has found in the area - really interesting. when he found out that I had been in the army, he took me behind the farm and showed me a massive pile of unexploded ammunition that he had found in his field over the past 2 yrs - apparently, this is normal and they still get the occasional grenade going off in the fields.
this b and b is really popular so you have to book well in advance (it's not the cheapest but 1 night is worth it and you are close to the largest commonwealth grave in the world - Tyne cot).
any more info, just ask.
ps France is brill and it's really set up for the tourist and motorcaravans.
enjoy.

Polly
07-02-2012, 16:51
Hia

I tagged onto a friend last September and did the coast down From Calais to Aramanchies and back up past Ruen we only stayed on aires for the 2 weeks we were there
He used the aires book and was not disappointed at all

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS