PDA

View Full Version : advice on sat navs please

janegam
31-01-2012, 08:02
Hi, Have been reading the threads about problems with updating europe maps on Tom tom satnavs, do the same problems occur with Garmin- I am looking at the 1490t. or can anyone recommend?
Thanks,

oldish hippy
31-01-2012, 08:08
fairytooth is the best person to ask and maybe can sort you out if you want ican pm fairytooth and point him toward this post if you wish as you cant pm as free member

Bigpeetee
31-01-2012, 08:28
I've got a Garmin 1490T, whilst it works well for the majority of places there are a number of issues I have.

Roads that have existed for over 100 yrs don't exist, probably as Garmin have used Google Street View, in this particular instance, there were roadworks under a bridge at the end of our road, so because Google couldn't drive through it, Garmin thinks it doesn't exist!!

I've reported this several times with no response from Garmin, I've updated the mapping and they haven't done anything.

Driving around, I've noticed that it will do peculiar things, for example I've set it for the fasted route, yet if I try to get from one side of Caernarfon to the other (one main road in, one out) it always tries to take me around the town which is further and on small rural roads. When I get to the far end where their diversion takes me and I join back on track, it still tells me to do a U turn at the first opportunity to go back to the origional track that the Garmin planned.

The postcodes are not always accurate, a small rural hospital has it's own postcode, the Garmin lands you in the middle of a council estate 500m away from the location and across fields, but by road it's about 3 miles away. Other GPS direct straight to the hospital.

I'm tempted to give it to my daughter, seems OK in citys

It's relatively easy to update POI's though!!

grath
31-01-2012, 08:54
I purchased my first sat nav last year to help with the last mile into suitable aire's in France, Spain & Portugal and also to find the GPL stations.
I was very impressed with it.
I have seen some strange routes here in the UK, funnily Wales in particular.
Mine is a Garmin 1390T
One particular GPL station at La Corruna would have been nearly impossible without a sat nav. Ours got us there and did the job as it should.

Haaamster
31-01-2012, 10:19
I have a Garmin 1690t and i'm sure if you recorded me on my last trip abroad I would have been arrested for foul and abusive language.It does have some good points like up to date weather anywhere in the world, cheapest fuel prices wherever I am (not always correct but close) and the handsfree is pretty good but it does seem to take the most awkward route to get anywhere. I always double check the route on a map now because I don't trust it, it's lied to me too many times.

t&s
31-01-2012, 14:49
Hi, Have been reading the threads about problems with updating europe maps on Tom tom satnavs, do the same problems occur with Garmin- I am looking at the 1490t. or can anyone recommend?
Thanks,

Changes to the law in FranceSince decree n2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to 1500

grath
31-01-2012, 14:54
I have a Garmin 1690t and i'm sure if you recorded me on my last trip abroad I would have been arrested for foul and abusive language.It does have some good points like up to date weather anywhere in the world, cheapest fuel prices wherever I am (not always correct but close) and the handsfree is pretty good but it does seem to take the most awkward route to get anywhere. I always double check the route on a map now because I don't trust it, it's lied to me too many times.

A sat nav should always be used in conjunction with a good old trusted map.
We found ours pretty good for finding Lidl supermarkets in Spain & Portugal

antiquesam
31-01-2012, 15:07
I used to drive the UK and Europe for a living and have used both Garmin and Tomtom, and much prefer the Tomtom XL Live I have been using for the past couple of years. I update it once a fortnight for up to date speed camera locations and subscribe to get map updates every 3 months and the live services so the machine automatically diverts me away from any traffic jam.
I notice that updates show "download of France speed camera removal" now, but as I haven't used it in France recently I don't know what it has replaced it with, but I can't believe they would have left a whole country without some warning.

Nosha
31-01-2012, 19:17
I have a Garmin Nuvi 610, and have updated the EU map many times WITHOUT any problems, and have dome 3 other Nuvi including a late 1400 series also without any problems!

GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steco1958
31-01-2012, 23:34
I've got a Garmin 1490T, whilst it works well for the majority of places there are a number of issues I have.

Roads that have existed for over 100 yrs don't exist, probably as Garmin have used Google Street View, in this particular instance, there were roadworks under a bridge at the end of our road, so because Google couldn't drive through it, Garmin thinks it doesn't exist!!

I've reported this several times with no response from Garmin, I've updated the mapping and they haven't done anything.

Driving around, I've noticed that it will do peculiar things, for example I've set it for the fasted route, yet if I try to get from one side of Caernarfon to the other (one main road in, one out) it always tries to take me around the town which is further and on small rural roads. When I get to the far end where their diversion takes me and I join back on track, it still tells me to do a U turn at the first opportunity to go back to the origional track that the Garmin planned.

The postcodes are not always accurate, a small rural hospital has it's own postcode, the Garmin lands you in the middle of a council estate 500m away from the location and across fields, but by road it's about 3 miles away. Other GPS direct straight to the hospital.

I'm tempted to give it to my daughter, seems OK in citys

It's relatively easy to update POI's though!!

Just to balance things up, I have 3 Garmins in the household, I have not experienced the issues posted above.

There are settings within the sat nav that can be adjusted, to enable you to have a good product, I would suggest either borrowing one and use it for a while, or go to a reputable seller that knows his stuff, and get a full and proper demo.

Just make sure the unit will do what you need it to do.

Bigpeetee
01-02-2012, 09:03
Maybe my Garmin doesn't like Wales.

Yesterday I used it to find a location in the middle of Holyhead from just outside the town.

It told me to go up the road and do a "U turn" I did it there and then. Wow, it really got upset, then told me to drive "Off Road", funny as I was on an A road at the time. Tried to send me up a one way street the wrong way (it's been one way for over 12 years!!) then up a Cul de Sac to be near the destination.

The post code mapping is not accurate, but if I input the actual co-ordinates the point on the map can be over 400m out.

Maybe it's great in the rest of the UK & Europe.

It is only a guide to navigation, but one of the Chinese copies at about 35 was 100 times better (got dropped and died so thought we'd get a better one!!) how many cheap ones for the cost of the Garmin???

Tbear
01-02-2012, 10:06
Maybe my Garmin doesn't like Wales.

Yesterday I used it to find a location in the middle of Holyhead from just outside the town.

It told me to go up the road and do a "U turn" I did it there and then. Wow, it really got upset, then told me to drive "Off Road", funny as I was on an A road at the time. Tried to send me up a one way street the wrong way (it's been one way for over 12 years!!) then up a Cul de Sac to be near the destination.

The post code mapping is not accurate, but if I input the actual co-ordinates the point on the map can be over 400m out.

Maybe it's great in the rest of the UK & Europe.

It is only a guide to navigation, but one of the Chinese copies at about 35 was 100 times better (got dropped and died so thought we'd get a better one!!) how many cheap ones for the cost of the Garmin???

Hi Bigpeetee

My Garmin loves Wales, mainly those roads that start off looking like A roads but soon become almost as wide as the van, often having grass growing in the middle.:mad2:

Richard

I should add that it was very good in N France

bigG
01-02-2012, 11:00
Hi.

I have a Garmin 1490T and it works fine.

I updated recently without any problem. The french speed cameras were taken off and "Danger Areas" were added at a cost of 13.00.

Go ahead and buy it.

Big G

teemac
01-02-2012, 19:08
i have an old garmin street pilot and have to say had nothing but problems with it every time (5 or 6) i have used it in france? :mad2:.......and dont get me started on the bl..dy mapsource software!!!...arggghghhhhhhhhhh!!!!.:mad1:

maybe they are better and easier now?

steco1958
01-02-2012, 19:32
i have an old garmin street pilot and have to say had nothing but problems with it every time (5 or 6) i have used it in france? :mad2:.......and dont get me started on the bl..dy mapsource software!!!...arggghghhhhhhhhhh!!!!.:mad1:

maybe they are better and easier now?

Streetpilot was discontinued a good while ago, I would suggest, looking to upgrade

janegam
04-02-2012, 20:24
Thanks to everyone for replying and for helpful advice-will be going with it as it is only as an adjunct to maps and intuition!

teemac
05-02-2012, 18:45
Streetpilot was discontinued a good while ago, I would suggest, looking to upgrade

yeah you are right but finances etc....to be honest i cant see the value for money with them? :sad:

ps....on the garmin site a lot of people prefer the streetpilot unit to newer models?...its just the software/map updates was discontinued in 2006 (i think??).....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS