PDA

View Full Version : Portugal Aires

UFO
31-01-2012, 11:15
Just back from 14 nights in Southern Portugal - our first time there. The up-market 'refugee camps' at Castro Marim, Altura and Olhao were a bit of a shock. Many MHs, mainly French, appeared to have parked up in December and were staying until April - not our idea of fun.

Good to see Portugal investing in aires, thanks to Grath for this Portal CampingCar Portugal - O Portal PortuguÍs de Autocaravanismo (http://www.campingcarportugal.com/index2_uk.htm) At Estoi (15 minutes north of Olhao where there were 30 MHs on a bit of waste land) we were the only ones there. Estoi has a palace now a pousada (high class government run hotel) you can go into the public areas and the garden, nice small village and local walks. We were also on our own at Villa Nova da Barquinha just south of Tomar. Other highlights were Senhora da Roche and inland Alte and Barragem de Monte da Roche (better than Barragem do pego do Altar). Generally the people - locals and MHers were nicer the further we got away from the coast. Portugal also has excellent tourist information offices even in quite small places and free internet is available in public libraries. The CV is now parked up in central Portugal and we are looking forward to part 2 of our trip in March.

julie1
31-01-2012, 12:51
Just back from 14 nights in Southern Portugal - our first time there. The up-market 'refugee camps' at Castro Marim, Altura and Olhao were a bit of a shock. Many MHs, mainly French, appeared to have parked up in December and were staying until April - not our idea of fun.

Good to see Portugal investing in aires, thanks to Grath for this Portal CampingCar Portugal - O Portal PortuguÍs de Autocaravanismo (http://www.campingcarportugal.com/index2_uk.htm) At Estoi (15 minutes north of Olhao where there were 30 MHs on a bit of waste land) we were the only ones there. Estoi has a palace now a pousada (high class government run hotel) you can go into the public areas and the garden, nice small village and local walks. We were also on our own at Villa Nova da Barquinha just south of Tomar. Other highlights were Senhora da Roche and inland Alte and Barragem de Monte da Roche (better than Barragem do pego do Altar). Generally the people - locals and MHers were nicer the further we got away from the coast. Portugal also has excellent tourist information offices even in quite small places and free internet is available in public libraries. The CV is now parked up in central Portugal and we are looking forward to part 2 of our trip in March.

Thanks for posting the Camping Car Portugal link. We were in Portugal at the end of last year. I thought aires were only meant to be for 1-2 nights! We stayed mainly on aires but we did move around a lot. Can't understand why some people hog these aires for months on end especially when there are people who really need to park up to replenish and empty water etc or just need a nights sleep if they've been driving. I wonder if the car park at Manta Rota will be as full when they start charging.

grath
31-01-2012, 15:16
I hope nobody minds, but I have just added the photographs of my Portugal O/N parking locations to this thread.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/portugal/16126-portugal-o-n-parking.html

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS