PDA

View Full Version : long trip, just 'breakdown insurance' needed

milton
02-02-2012, 08:55
I have looked at some of the posts on here and think most people have their breakdown in with their van inusurance. Please correct me if I am wrong and I'll read it all again!

I am insured on a good policy that I am happy with at NFU, and used RAC Arrival for breakdown, but I think there are limitations on how long you can stay in Europe, and the meanies will only come out once on your trip, so this doesn't seem practical for a possible stay of 3 or 4 months.
I didn't want to change my NFU policy because it includes my car and they have been very good in the past, but my van is half a metre too long for their breakdown insurance (only 5.9 metres but they can't cope with it!) and they don't do Europe anyway.

Any ideas please for a longish trip, France mainly, breakdown cover only?

Gill

Airecraft
02-02-2012, 09:24
Do you need breakdown cover with a motorhome? You have somewhere to stay and can arrange repair and recovery at your leisure. My experience with breakdown recovery is pretty poor; most recently Mrs Airecraft was told she would have to wait 4 hours for a patrol when her wipers packed in in heavy rain. I was once left arguing in France for 2 days over whether I had European cover. I had and my compensation was a £50 part supplied free of charge. I could have got the car fixed at the local garage within 1/2 a day.

zipnolan
02-02-2012, 12:15
I read on here that ADAC (German breakdown company) was available for us poor Brits so I went to the site and joined up (you need to call Germany via website telephone number) 1 year = 79 Euros (approx £67) and you get unlimmited cover in Europe and if needed over here its the AA that turns up easy-peazzie, although I'm German speaking I got the option of speaking English, 2 mins on the phone they make you a member from then but only send you a bank payment form within a week.

ADAC - Ihr Partner in allen Fragen rund um die Mobilitšt. (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club) (http://www.adac.de)

Firefox
02-02-2012, 13:04
Do you need breakdown cover with a motorhome? You have somewhere to stay and can arrange repair and recovery at your leisure. My experience with breakdown recovery is pretty poor; most recently Mrs Airecraft was told she would have to wait 4 hours for a patrol when her wipers packed in in heavy rain. I was once left arguing in France for 2 days over whether I had European cover. I had and my compensation was a £50 part supplied free of charge. I could have got the car fixed at the local garage within 1/2 a day.

Exactly.

Breakdown cover is simply insurance by another name. If you can afford the loss don't insure. You will be £££'s in pocket in the long run.

ellisboy
02-02-2012, 18:59
Hello ! I'd highly recommend European breakdown cover after breaking down in France at Christmas. If your not fluent in the language,then there's someone on the end of the phone to arrange recovery and translate for you.We had a night in a hotel an hire car for a week paid for. I have my breakdown cover through Flux with my van ins.I've preveiously had the AA European breakdown,regards Stephen. 

Rubbertramp
02-02-2012, 19:21
I have looked at some of the posts on here and think most people have their breakdown in with their van inusurance. Please correct me if I am wrong and I'll read it all again!

I am insured on a good policy that I am happy with at NFU, and used RAC Arrival for breakdown, but I think there are limitations on how long you can stay in Europe, and the meanies will only come out once on your trip, so this doesn't seem practical for a possible stay of 3 or 4 months.
I didn't want to change my NFU policy because it includes my car and they have been very good in the past, but my van is half a metre too long for their breakdown insurance (only 5.9 metres but they can't cope with it!) and they don't do Europe anyway.

Any ideas please for a longish trip, France mainly, breakdown cover only?

Gill

I'm with the NFU and know that they farm out (please excuse the pun) their breakdown requests to RAC, AA, local garages etc so 5.9 metres shouldn't be a problem, I would have thought. As for Europe...I've no idea if they will cover you ....but as you know they are very good at customer relations....maybe it might be worthwhile nipping into your local office or giving them a ring.

jann
03-02-2012, 17:32
It's easy to say you don't need break down insurance.Breakdowns don't always happen in convienient places where you can repair it yourself and obtain new parts easily.
If ever you've needed ( We have )it you realise it's cheaper to insure than not to.

Firefox
04-02-2012, 02:47
It's easy to say you don't need break down insurance.Breakdowns don't always happen in convienient places where you can repair it yourself and obtain new parts easily.
If ever you've needed ( We have )it you realise it's cheaper to insure than not to.

On average it's cheaper not to insure in the long run. Otherwise insurance companies would not be in business.

Their profit, indeed survival, is based on the probability that you will pay more in premiums than they will in payouts.

Yes, you may have made a claim for £500 when you broke down and be glad of it. But you're not factoring in the other 9 years when you didn't and lost £900 in premiums. Sure, some people may end up ahead of the game, but most people won't. And you only ever end up ahead of the game by breaking down... who wants to waste their leisure time doing that ;-)

Airecraft
04-02-2012, 08:25

I have and it wasn't. When I had cover I used it three times over about 10 years:

1. Tyre blew out on a motorbike on the M54 and I had to wait 3 hours for a recovery van to arrive then transport me 80 miles home. They refused to lend me the £ for a new tyre I could have had fitted in 1 hour for a fifth of the cost of the recovery. Had I not had cover I would have arranged payment by card from someone else over the phone but I made the mistake of thinking the breakdown cover I had paid for had to be worth something.

2. Clutch cable snapped in France and had to wait 2 days before they even acknowledged I was covered, then another day to get the part flown out from UK. I could have ordered the part by 24 hour courier and lost only 1 day.

3. Rear window shattered and, because boot was full of stuff, I waited 2 hours for van to turn up with wrong (untinted) glass and ended up using tape and plastic to seal window which I could have done myself in ten minutes.

If breakdown recovery was free I wouldn't use it now.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS