PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Clutha
02-02-2012, 16:38
Buteshire!!!
Why not 'Isle of Bute' to be accurate?

Sorry to make my first post pedantic:bow:
As a resident of 'Argyll and Bute', it grates a bit.

sean rua
02-02-2012, 17:42
"Buteshire" doesn't sound like a nice name, Clutha.

What's the Gaelic name? It must be better than that! :D

sean rua.

Clutha
02-02-2012, 19:29
Wow, newbies need to check up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteshire

New one on me!

Randonneur
02-02-2012, 21:11
First off....... Hello Clutha, welcome to the site. :wave:

Second off..... I was always under the impression that the area was called Argyle and the Isle of Bute. Never heard of Buteshire??

We have holidayed in that part of Scotland and it's a beautiful area, we're hoping to be up that way again later on this year if work and finances allow.

Clutha
02-02-2012, 21:20
The town we have moved to (Helensburgh) was in Dunbartonshire until 20 years ago, now we're in Argyll and Bute. Sometimes spelt Argyle.
I'd never heard of Buteshire until I came on here, suspecting it was a wee mistake by the southern cousins.
I know better now!

macbob
02-02-2012, 22:09
Buteshire!!!
Why not 'Isle of Bute' to be accurate?

Sorry to make my first post pedantic:bow:
As a resident of 'Argyll and Bute', it grates a bit.

Think that your the one that needs to be accurate, or needs to keep up with an ever changing world! Buteshire is correct! I was born there in Colintraive!

deanjo
06-02-2012, 16:17
Think that your the one that needs to be accurate, or needs to keep up with an ever changing world! Buteshire is correct! I was born there in Colintraive!

we learn something new everyday,or so it seems, I always assumed it was 'argyle & bute', thats what it says on the signs welcomming you there,,,never seen 'buteshire'.....anyway,i'll have another look as we're off back up scotland this weekend for the half term...

carsan
07-02-2012, 12:08
In the 60s it came under Renfrew & bute then regionalisation came along and it became part of argyllshire
I think that was when it started getting called Buteshire, it is now under argyll (no e ) and bute, But saying that I have always called it The isle of Bute cheers
E.x Buteman

Clutha
07-02-2012, 16:51

Does that make you a Brandane? :wave:

channa
07-02-2012, 17:12
It could be a lot worse, if you are from Bute, I guess you are a Buteman, (bute person perhaps to be PC ) ,

But spare a thought for those from Goole :scared:a Goolie ???

On the subject what do you call a person born in penistone South Yorks ?

See you got it easy

Channa

mitzimad
07-02-2012, 17:39

Channa[/QUOTE]

carefull?

Canalsman
07-02-2012, 17:45

Embarassed :o

channa
07-02-2012, 18:27
Could this be the origin of the Yorkshire term "ey up cock " tis a greeting for you suvverners ( saves you working it out )

Channa

channa
07-02-2012, 18:34
On a semi serious note quite interesting the term Cock , Cocker is used a lot in Yorks, And I worked for a Glaswegian woman who called me "hen"

Notts where I was born I was a "duck"

How did terms of endearement ever become related to our feathered friends ?

The history of our sayings and language I do find interesting...........Any ideas ?

Channa

Rubbertramp
07-02-2012, 18:46
In Devon and Cornwall, both male and female are referred to as "bird" or "my bird".....but alas, no ideas why.....:idea-007:the prof will take it upon himself to make a study.

deanjo
07-02-2012, 18:58
On a semi serious note quite interesting the term Cock , Cocker is used a lot in Yorks, And I worked for a Glaswegian woman who called me "hen"

Notts where I was born I was a "duck"

How did terms of endearement ever become related to our feathered friends ?

The history of our sayings and language I do find interesting...........Any ideas ?

Channa

in barnsley we still speak 'broad' yorkshire,ie,thee & tha (thar),playing,as in playing football is 'laikin',,there are many more phrases and the vast majority date back from anglo/saxon/norse words,so were here long before the 'queens' english...quite a few southerners who move here cant make head or tail of it.

Rubbertramp
07-02-2012, 19:14
In Devon and Cornwall, both male and female are referred to as "bird" or "my bird".....but alas, no ideas why.....:idea-007:the prof will take it upon himself to make a study.

.........and here's some interesting reading..........

Placeholder name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeholder_name)

maingate
07-02-2012, 22:51
in barnsley we still speak 'broad' yorkshire,ie,thee & tha (thar),playing,as in playing football is 'laikin',,there are many more phrases and the vast majority date back from anglo/saxon/norse words,so were here long before the 'queens' english...quite a few southerners who move here cant make head or tail of it.

Divvent yee fash yasel hinny. Ah knaa whats gannen on tha knaas.

I was brought up in a pit village where the dialect was known as 'pitmatic'. Lots of biblical words (as you pointed out) and plenty of Norse words like Kist (chest) and Lhum (chimney).

another example: whees chun me shull....... who has taken my shovel. Handy phrase if you are a miner. :king:

deanjo
08-02-2012, 15:00
Divvent yee fash yasel hinny. Ah knaa whats gannen on tha knaas.

I was brought up in a pit village where the dialect was known as 'pitmatic'. Lots of biblical words (as you pointed out) and plenty of Norse words like Kist (chest) and Lhum (chimney).

another example: whees chun me shull....... who has taken my shovel. Handy phrase if you are a miner. :king:

i was a miner maingate,and i'm tippin' you were with a name like that......I started work at cortonwood colliery,the home of the alamo!!,,if you were a miner,which pit were you at,or were you a pit gypsy like me closure after closure,transfer after transfer!!

maingate
08-02-2012, 15:33
Yes, I served my time as a Fitter at Wearmouth Colliery in Sunderland but I left after about 7 years to broaden my experience. I had always intended to join the Merchant Navy when I came out of my apprenticeship but my Dad died (from 48 years underground). That stopped that plan and then I got married and again my plan was thwarted.

I have always wanted to see the world so I eventually worked on contract abroad, mostly the Middle East and Africa but I travelled worldwide installing and overhauling Lithographic printing presses for a few years. Nowadays I am voluntarily retired, no longer have a Passport, never want to see another bloody Airport but want to see my own country. As I still have itchy feet, I bought a motorhome. ;)

Hopefully we might meet up somewhere and fill a few tubs of coal. :lol-049:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS