PDA

View Full Version : Birding spots in Norfolk

westbay
04-02-2012, 12:59
Hi,

We are planning a visit to Norfolk at the end of Feb, primarily for birding, and mainly along the coastal areas.
I have the database download and there are quite a few wild spots that look promising.

Are there any of you good folk that visit the area regularly who could give me an update on any favourites that you have recent knowledge of, or even places to avoid?

regards

donkey too
04-02-2012, 13:08
I think you would benefit from looking at the RSPB website. their headquarters are in Norfolk (Thetford)
one I use regulary is just along the road frm me in Brandon park there is a great hide and a wilding spot next to it. 52.419997,0.638623

Somelier
04-02-2012, 19:14
The Norfolk Wildlife Trust have a number of reserves that are really worth visiting, such as Cley Marshes and Holme Dunes on the coast and Hickling, Reedham Marshes and South Walsham Marshes further inland. Titchwell RSPB is also on the coast. Also RSPB is Strumpshaw Fen. As well as birding, Hickling and Strumpshaw are also good places to see the swallowtail butterfly, although not when you're visiting!

http://www.rakm.co.uk/images/photography/misc/swallowtail_butterfly_01.jpg

Teffy
04-02-2012, 22:15
Last October we spent some time watching marsh harriers over the reed beds near the Roman ruins at Breydon Water. There was also a small flock of bearded tits.

(Whisper) Don't tell anyone but we stayed on the camp site there, it was very cheap at the end of the season and there was hardly anyone there.

Should say, though, that we didn't find that area particularly motorhome friendly - difficult to park etc.

westbay
05-02-2012, 08:38
Should say, though, that we didn't find that area particularly motorhome friendly - difficult to park etc.

That's what I'd heard - some friends visited Norfolk coast early last year and they reckon they had a lot of trouble with the dreaded hieght barriers

thanks for the replies so far.

donkey too
05-02-2012, 09:34
I have always found Nporfolk to be pretty friendly. There are 18 POI places between hunstanton and yarmouth and I have in my travels found a dozen others besides. I have never had a problem parking up for the night, sometimes in village hall car parks as well.

Teffy
05-02-2012, 15:09
That's what I'd heard - some friends visited Norfolk coast early last year and they reckon they had a lot of trouble with the dreaded hieght barriers.

Yes, we found that. Cromer was nice though - brilliant fish and chips!

mitzimad
05-02-2012, 16:24
Hi,

We are planning a visit to Norfolk at the end of Feb, primarily for birding, and mainly along the coastal areas.
I have the database download and there are quite a few wild spots that look promising.

Are there any of you good folk that visit the area regularly who could give me an update on any favourites that you have recent knowledge of, or even places to avoid?

regards

just to the south in suffolk you have minsmere a rspb reserve we love the suffolk coast which is still a lot less comercial than norfolk and better for motor homes

westbay
05-02-2012, 16:44
just to the south in suffolk you have minsmere a rspb reserve we love the suffolk coast which is still a lot less comercial than norfolk and better for motor homes

Thanks for the idea - off to look at possibilites right now.

Somelier
07-02-2012, 09:05
St Benets Abbey is a good place to visit, but parking is a problem. If you park in Ludham village (just outside the church), there's a nice circular walk down to St Benets. If you do this early morning, you have a good chance of spotting barn owl along the river bank and otters have been seen in the river at St Benets itself, but not if there's lots of boats there. If the tea shop opposite Ludham church is open, it's definitely worth a visit, both for the food and for the photographs.

The best views I've ever had of the elusive beardies is from the boardwalk at Cley. This is also a good place to see harriers. Plenty of parking at the visitor centre and there's a good cafe.

Hickling also has good parking and this is a good place for bittern and common crane, but you have to have patience. It's no good (as so many casual visitors do) popping into a hide, having a quick look and then moving on. You have to be prepared to sit in the hides for a long time, so it's worth spending a full day there. Sadly, no cafe.

westbay
07-02-2012, 09:24
Thans for the tip Somelier - will definatly make a visit. Anyone ever stayed in the spot just outside the Minsmere entrance (on the database)??

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS