PDA

View Full Version : another newbie question

mitzimad
05-02-2012, 20:52
now ive paid my money i want to down load the files for wildcamping locations at present im not sure which device i want to use them on
we have a tom tom and could use that but after reading a blog of a couple touring europe they use a computer mounted on the dash which i quite like the idea of but then i get a bit confused that id need data plans to run sat nav this wayor do i just get the microsoft mapping thing ?for 30quidish and that doesnt need datawe also have smart phones with data plans which we use as modems here but i dont think its good to use abroad
once ive downloaded the files can i use them on diferent devices? am i allowed just one download? any ideas which is the best way to use them

Canalsman
05-02-2012, 23:49
now ive paid my money i want to down load the files for wildcamping locations at present im not sure which device i want to use them on
we have a tom tom and could use that but after reading a blog of a couple touring europe they use a computer mounted on the dash which i quite like the idea of but then i get a bit confused that id need data plans to run sat nav this wayor do i just get the microsoft mapping thing ?for 30quidish and that doesnt need datawe also have smart phones with data plans which we use as modems here but i dont think its good to use abroad
once ive downloaded the files can i use them on diferent devices? am i allowed just one download? any ideas which is the best way to use them

Firstly, the download only includes wild camping locations in England, Wales and Scotland. So the Europe question doesn't apply ...

The download includes files to use on your computer with Google Earth (whilst you have an internet connection). There also files for use with Microsoft Autoroute (so that can be used on your computer without an internet connection), and files for use with most makes of satnav (e.g. TomTom, Garmin, Navigon, Navman).

There are a number of smart phone sat nav applications available - and they tend to use files with the same format as standalone sat nave devices. So if you want to go down that route, check that the software can use one of the formats supplied in the download.

Finally, you can use the download data on as many types of your own device as you like. However you cannot share it with other people since it is copyright material.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS