PDA

View Full Version : New to MH camping - island hop July 2012

natedog
06-02-2012, 15:02
Hi everyone, we have rented a year-old van for the week in July to do an island hop between Scottish mainland and Western Isles. As we will have two young kids with us, we really need to stop at least every other night in a registered site to fill up water/empty waste etc. Would love to just find a fab spot and bunk down for the night though - is this allowed up there? Will the generator keep us going til our next hook up? How does it all work lol

If anyone has been to Barra/Uist/Harris or Lewis and has any advice/recommendations then I'd be very grateful indeed!

Thanks x x

barryd
06-02-2012, 15:42
Hi. Ive done about 18 Scottish Islands. You will have a great time, its a different world. Cant recommend any sites as I never use them on the islands you mention but there are plenty of wild camping opportunities. Vans are all different but you should find in summer with just general usage your van battery will supply you with enough power for 3-4 days off hookup if you dont go mad. Of course if your driving around doing an hour or so's driving every day or so it will (should) charge up again. We find we can go pretty much indefinately without hookup in summer as long as we have a good drive every couple of days.

The thing to do on the islands is just ask the locals where you can park for a night. They are usually happy to help. Be careful of parking on some moorland though. Im sure I heard on here of problems on Barra with vans damaging protect land but someone will be along to confirm what this entails.

You can get water from all sorts of places. Garages, churches, taps outside public toilets and as long as your careful you should be able to empty you toilet cassette in a public loo, just clean up if you make a mess. Or as you can say you can do a couple of days wilding then a night or two on a site.

winks
06-02-2012, 18:24
Hiya Natedog and welcome to the forum. You will find it really useful.

Don't know where you are but your planned trip does seem, on the face of it, to be probably too ambitious especially with a couple of children on board. We did a trip from Barra to Lewis in the spring of 2011 and took 20 days over it and it was not long enough for my liking. The best advice I can give is to change your plan and settle on a single island trip.This would give you and the children a chance to relax and enjoy your van and the islands.

We live in Cumbria and with the bit of nosing around on the way up and down to Lewis we covered 1100 miles!! So I would suggest a trip to Mull, if you're able to get to Oban. The island is HUGE and very varied. Loads of seals for the children to watch, cracking beaches, railway, castles and Balamory / Tobermory. One of our favourite sites is Fidden Farm down by Fionport in the south of the island. The ferry over to Iona goes from Fionport. If you have a peep at Ukcampsite.co.uk you will find some reviews for the site. There are also sea eagles to be seen and, if you feel flush, a trip to Fingals Cave on Staffa can be done from down that end of the island or from Ulva Ferry. Ulva itself is five minutes on a foot ferry and is like the land that time forgot.

No problem with just parking up for night, you will be fine.

I'll try to attach a picture from Fidden , but don't hold your breath.

All the best

Harold & Roseann Windle

Reviews of Fidden Farm Campsite , Fionnaphort, Isle of Mull Campsite (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7227)

geordie hedley
06-02-2012, 19:10
Hi everyone, we have rented a year-old van for the week in July to do an island hop between Scottish mainland and Western Isles. As we will have two young kids with us, we really need to stop at least every other night in a registered site to fill up water/empty waste etc. Would love to just find a fab spot and bunk down for the night though - is this allowed up there? Will the generator keep us going til our next hook up? How does it all work lol

If anyone has been to Barra/Uist/Harris or Lewis and has any advice/recommendations then I'd be very grateful indeed!

Thanks x x

Hi, I agree with Harold and Roseann. My wife and I did the outer hebrides in early June 2010. We were there for just over two weeks and we could easily have spent another two weeks there. There are some fabulous beaches and lots of wild camp sites. We will be going back again but to be honest one week just wouldn't be enough time to justify the expence or the time spent traveling. The boat trip from Oban to Barra is over 5 hours and fom Stornoway to Ullapool another five hours so I agree, one of the inner Hebrides would be a better choice. Skye or Mull would be good, both Islands are very varied and have lots of wild camping available or why not try Ardnamurchan, Morvern, and Moidart. My favourite part of the West coast of Scotland, more wild camp sites than you can shake a stick at and usually much more quiet than the Islands. We usually wild camp two nights and stay on a campsite one night. If you have any questions just get in touch, I'd be happy to help. Geordie

runnach
06-02-2012, 19:22
Have to agree with the others, Outer Hebs are a long haul for a one week MH hire, Ardnamurchan, Morvern, and Moidart are a good call. Corran Ferry onto Morvern, head west to Ardnamurchan, you can cross over to Tobermory from Kilchoan (short crossing) tour Mull, then off the Island via Fishnish to Lochaline ferry (short crossing) so many options, you just have to get up here and see fer yerselves!!

Cheers........

Stacetop
06-02-2012, 19:58
I have decided that we would try to find a site every 3 nights, one to stock up on water and secondly to wash my hair. I don't think the van would be good enough for that but I may be wrong. We are hoping to spend a week in Scotland in April.

deanjo
06-02-2012, 20:47
I have decided that we would try to find a site every 3 nights, one to stock up on water and secondly to wash my hair. I don't think the van would be good enough for that but I may be wrong. We are hoping to spend a week in Scotland in April.

we've done the western isles with the kids,no probs at all,and never used a camp site,there are places everywhere to park up...but if you only have a week its a long way to go..maybe go up as far as skye..april is a good time to go,no midges!!,because believe you me these ruin the summer months..last year was a nightmare with them..
we are off up to scotland this weekend for a weeks touring,hopefully taking in the ski resorts,we dont ski but love walking with dogs and the view from ben nevis ski resort is fantastic..
dont worry about getting water,you can fill up at just about every petrol station,take a hose pipe.you wont go far wrong..and i dont have a problem emptying the cassette toilet in public loo's,theres no need to have it splashing all over the place,just give the toilet a clean and a flush and theres nothing to worry about.
we also use a generator,its a clarke model,thats pretty quiet..theres no need to park near anyone in scotland so using the genny isnt a problem.
go and enjoy yourselves,the first time we did scotland i hadnt seen any web sites with poi's etc.. and never had a problem parking up...

Guernsey Donkey
07-02-2012, 11:13
Hi - we live in the western isles so have a look at this site then email me if you want further help.

spinning-wheel@btinternet.com

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/5607-isle-lewis-isle-harris-western-isles.html

toxicturtle
13-03-2012, 20:45
We did the island hopping in the last week of May last year in just 9 days and despite the driving (about 1300 all in including to and from Irvine on the West coast o Scotland) we went back again for another 9 days at the end of July!
First time around we did Oban to Mull to Skye to North Uist driving down through Benbecula to South Uist and back then over to Harris up to Lewis and back to the mainland via Ullapool. Admittedly it was too fast but we loved every minute of it.
Memorable stops were Calgary Bay on Mull, the standing stone at Polochar on South Uist, Tolsta Beach and the harbour at hopefully, our home to be Ness, on Lewis.
Next time was slightly less hectic and went via Uig on Skye to North Uist taking in Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay then North to Harris/Lewis. New memorable stops were Solas with and very very high tide (the carpark was almost flooded!) Dalmore Beach and the absolutely stunning beach at Huisnuis.
As for Midges, if your as bothered as I am by them, the only thing i found to work was Smidge The Scottish Midge Forecast (http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/) , all the other bracelets, sprays and lotions seemed to just add extra seasoning to me for the wee blighters!

Vanterrier
30-04-2012, 11:12
Have to agree with the others, Outer Hebs are a long haul for a one week MH hire, Ardnamurchan, Morvern, and Moidart are a good call. Corran Ferry onto Morvern, head west to Ardnamurchan, you can cross over to Tobermory from Kilchoan (short crossing) tour Mull, then off the Island via Fishnish to Lochaline ferry (short crossing) so many options, you just have to get up here and see fer yerselves!!

Cheers........

Shhhhhh...... I'm heading there in June... ;)

K ;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS