PDA

View Full Version : Dog passports

deanjo
06-02-2012, 21:20
we are going to france this summer,both dogs are microchipped,i know we need rabies injections and tapeworm treatment on return,can anyone tell me exactly how we get their passports and where from and any other info...thanks

Firefox
06-02-2012, 21:23
From the Vet:

Taking your pets abroad : Directgov - Travel and transport (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4000019)

vwalan
06-02-2012, 21:24
hi go to the local vets .they check the chip. then give the jab , and can issue the passport. get it done soon as you can then you will be ready to go.

adt3rd
06-02-2012, 22:43
Your vet and the link given should tell you all you need to know.

Worth reiterating that you do need to get it done ASAP, I don't think things have changed since I got our dogs first passport....

After the jab you have to wait a while and then get a blood test done to verify immunity as not all jabs work first time.
If you're one of the unlucky ones that has to repeat the process it can drag on over months rather than weeks.

Also, don't underestimate the complexities of getting to see at French vet at the right time and place upon return. The rules are strict.

Don't be put off though, it's well worth it for the pleasure of having your hound at your side whilst on holiday.

baloothebear
07-02-2012, 06:17
It used to be a jab and then a blood test and then wait 6 months before you could take your dogs/cats etc abroad.
Now it's jab and wait 21 days
You still have to visit a Vet in Europe to have the animal treated for Tapeworm before you return to the UK but you now have 5 days in which to complete that part of the ordeal. ( I think )

Drew
07-02-2012, 06:21
Most French Vets are quite accommodating and will ask you what day and time you are returning so as to ensure that your return medications are dated correctly (if you know what I mean)

Drew

channa
07-02-2012, 06:32
It used to be a jab and then a blood test and then wait 6 months before you could take your dogs/cats etc abroad.
Now it's jab and wait 21 days
You still have to visit a Vet in Europe to have the animal treated for Tapeworm before you return to the UK but you now have 5 days in which to complete that part of the ordeal. ( I think )it was 6 months before you could return to the uk. that has been reduced to 21 days.

Technically, it is 21 days before you can enter France and always has bee, not that French immigration have wanted to see the dogs passport probably because they knox the Uk hasnt had rabies for years

tapeworm is now the only requirement on re entry to the uk, and the tiime window has been extended from 48 hours to 5 days, however for the first 24 hours after treatment the dog animal cant return.

Channa

tranivanman
07-02-2012, 08:53
you can find the latest information on the defra web site

tranivanman

deanjo
07-02-2012, 17:29
hi go to the local vets .they check the chip. then give the jab , and can issue the passport. get it done soon as you can then you will be ready to go.

thanks to everyone,i didnt realise it was the vets who issued the passports,now i know that i'll be on the phone tomorrow..

are the vets on the french side easy to find???,is there a list of recommended ones anyware,I think we'll be using the tunnel,soi would have been inclined to use one in calais,but now the time window has been extended i would imagine i can use one more or less anywhere...

vwalan
07-02-2012, 18:46
any vet in france can do it . i useone in st pol delion . along way from calais . though spain is my usually return point.
before you got the jab for the dog then needed a bloodtest . if it was above so many tetras away you could go . but the dog couldnt return till 6 months after the blood test . now no blood test and its all much easier. best see a vet away from the ports as local ones charge more. well very often do. not all i,m sure. my dog left the uk before the tet scheme but was a;ll prepared for it she as been travelling since 99. been ll over the eu.
seems dogs can speak all the languages . makes friends in every country.

deanjo
07-02-2012, 19:07
any vet in france can do it . i useone in st pol delion . along way from calais . though spain is my usually return point.
before you got the jab for the dog then needed a bloodtest . if it was above so many tetras away you could go . but the dog couldnt return till 6 months after the blood test . now no blood test and its all much easier. best see a vet away from the ports as local ones charge more. well very often do. not all i,m sure. my dog left the uk before the tet scheme but was a;ll prepared for it she as been travelling since 99. been ll over the eu.
seems dogs can speak all the languages . makes friends in every country.

thanks alan,i've been doing some reading up on the subject and seeing as i hate being ripped off i'll be looking for a vet well away from the ports,this new 1-5 day ruling sure appears to make things much easier.I dont know where we'll be heading but i would imagine we'll be going toward the alps,via the grand ballon area..i've done thousands of miles in the alps on the bikes and seen many motorhomes,wilding must be a piece of cake in these areas as you are usually miles from anywhere..i think i'll start a new thread off on the subject.

Neckender
07-02-2012, 19:37
This is a very good vets who speaks very good English and is reasonable, very nice town and great aire just around the corner.

Cabinet Vétérinaire Saint Nicolas
Category: Pets Veterinarians Veterinarians [Edit]

1 rue Neufchâtel
76440 Forges les Eaux

02 35 90 55 55

John.

Ps came highly recommended.

baloothebear
08-02-2012, 06:20
thanks to everyone,i didnt realise it was the vets who issued the passports,now i know that i'll be on the phone tomorrow..

Get some quotes for the jab. We had quotes from £190 to £70 IIRC. The highest price was a real stitch-up rying to load us with a lot of very unnecessary jabs that the dog had yearly. The only welfare some Vets seem to care about is their won

vwalan
08-02-2012, 09:35
hi keep shopping around .29.80 the last one for our dog .the firstones were only a tenner . but have slowly increased . but 70 seems alot. and its only the one jab now .used to be two. well worth it though . makes the family complete .

deanjo
08-02-2012, 14:28
hi keep shopping around .29.80 the last one for our dog .the firstones were only a tenner . but have slowly increased . but 70 seems alot. and its only the one jab now .used to be two. well worth it though . makes the family complete .

i'll be shopping around alan,no doubt about it,,and you are right about it being worth it,I couldnt go off in the motorhome without the dogs anyway,our border collie only has to see the hook up cable and hose pipe come out to know he's off,and as soon as the door is open the whippet is in it that fast you'd think it was a rabbit warren!!!

Neckender
08-02-2012, 14:43
i'll be shopping around alan,no doubt about it,,and you are right about it being worth it,I couldnt go off in the motorhome without the dogs anyway,our border collie only has to see the hook up cable and hose pipe come out to know he's off,and as soon as the door is open the whippet is in it that fast you'd think it was a rabbit warren!!!

Yes its marvelous how they know our Jack Russell seams to know the day before, there are also words we can't use as she gets exited so we have to spell them.

John.

channa
08-02-2012, 19:51
Yes its marvelous how they know our Jack Russell seams to know the day before, there are also words we can't use as she gets exited so we have to spell them.

John.
Reason I got a french rescue hound doesnt understand a word of English ....(or am I being had ) seriously I tell him to sit just looks at me
Assiez toi >>>>instantly sits down has to be seen to be believed ask Old Arthur.

They say dogs react to tone I am not convinced.

Like you say artheyrate, they just seem to know

Channa

BrianG
10-02-2012, 19:44
Just wondering how frequently the rabies shot has to be done. When we lived in Spain we were told by the vet that the dog had to be re-vacinated every year. For the purpose of the entry to the Uk we were told by a Uk vet every two years. My local vet now that we are back living in the UK says the vacine lasts three years now. My question is What are the laws governing rabies vacines in Europe at the present time. Not just regarding border controls (which are generally non existent) but more in the case of dog bites. They used to say,in Spain, that if your dog bit somebody and the vacine was not annual, the animal would be confiscated and put down.
I expect to be in France, Germany and possibly Italy or Spain this year.
Any folks living in these countries, your opinions would be appreciated
BrianG

vwalan
10-02-2012, 20:09
hi, yes for uk it keeps getting another year added on. we were late one year by a week .had to start over again and have another blood test . then told it lasts 2 years now . i questioned it . as we were only a week late and it was the same vacine . but rules are rules. now as you say its 3yrs.
there was a time germany used a different jab for rabis than france . the french vet gave a different jab as we were going to germany .just in case they asked .nobody ever did .
i was told once that as uk dogs had a blood test to show the correct titres it was ok . now there isnt a blood test dont know.
could be worth having a word with defra about it but they possibly cant answer it.

deanjo
10-02-2012, 21:17

John.

same here john,we have to spell certain words out,,our whippet cant spell,but our collie,you cant fool him!!!

channa
10-02-2012, 21:37
Just wondering how frequently the rabies shot has to be done. When we lived in Spain we were told by the vet that the dog had to be re-vacinated every year. For the purpose of the entry to the Uk we were told by a Uk vet every two years. My local vet now that we are back living in the UK says the vacine lasts three years now. My question is What are the laws governing rabies vacines in Europe at the present time. Not just regarding border controls (which are generally non existent) but more in the case of dog bites. They used to say,in Spain, that if your dog bit somebody and the vacine was not annual, the animal would be confiscated and put down.
I expect to be in France, Germany and possibly Italy or Spain this year.
Any folks living in these countries, your opinions would be appreciated
BrianG

I questioned this very same thing with two French vets, my hound has a french passport my previous ddog a UK one.

One french vet told me that the vaccine strength was pan european on the basis the ruling bodies took rabies so seriously, another told me that the UK had relaxed the rules slightly because we dont have the disease.

Finally a Dutch vet told me the uk used a stronger dosage so it seems they dont know.

My dog and my colleagues dog fwiw both French failed first blood test, but I would question whether they were done in the first place by the same surgery the second bloodtest the count was through the roof. Especially when the vet commented how unusual it was etc etc,,,,,perhaps a remote coincidence>

I will get Leon jabbed in England it lasts 3 years and the validity seems to be what the port authorities take notice of.

France and Holland it is renewable every year

Channa

cooljules
14-02-2012, 14:31
Ugly Arthur when i take him around Europe, for a couple of days sometimes is a little under the weather, then perks up and was his normal self.

macbob
14-02-2012, 19:43
Ugly Arthur when i take him around Europe, for a couple of days sometimes is a little under the weather, then perks up and was his normal self.

Must be jetlag, all that way from Sheffield! Nice to see that you are on here again CJ.

cooljules
14-02-2012, 21:09
Must be jetlag, all that way from Sheffield! Nice to see that you are on here again CJ.

ta, been busy with a few hurdles for me and kaye, with neighbours from hell still, stress etc but looking forward to getting out in the van in the spring. Not had a chance to do owt to the van, its the main vehicle for a while as the cars broke down but at least we have that.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS