PDA

View Full Version : European short tour ideas.

grath
12-02-2012, 19:16
Usually, we come off the ferry and turn right, but thinking of turning left:idea:
Any ideas as where to go for good weather, rivers or sea, but certainly some water.
Wilding or aires, maybe the odd cheap camp site, maybe ACSI.
Over 3500kg so no GO Boxes or similar. We must avoid over 3500kg weight restriction penalties. Thinking of Poland and down to the south of Italy, but quite open minded.
Any Ideas? for high season.

grath
16-02-2012, 12:05
Usually, we come off the ferry and turn right, but thinking of turning left:idea:
Any ideas as where to go for good weather, rivers or sea, but certainly some water.
Wilding or aires, maybe the odd cheap camp site, maybe ACSI.
Over 3500kg so no GO Boxes or similar. We must avoid over 3500kg weight restriction penalties. Thinking of Poland and down to the south of Italy, but quite open minded.
Any Ideas? for high season.

4 days and not one idea:cry::cry:Poland is also out:cry:
I am now thinking of France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia with a weight penalty but so what and onto Croatia
I thought we had some well travelled members:confused:

Jo001
16-02-2012, 12:26
We went to Germany a couple of years ago - the Stellplatz are harder to find than the French aires, but if you know where you are going they are fine. there's a thread somewhere on here telling you a website that gives details.

The German Tourist information website is excellent - and gives suggested driving routes. We picked one that started at the point where we were entering the country anyway, rather than drive for miles just to start. We had a choice between the fairytale route (where the brothers Grimm set their stories) or the asparagus route. Tough choice but we went for the fairy tale route - asparagus wasn't in season so it would have just been 'the route'! Seriously, it's the route that's attractive, you don't need to go in asparagus season. There are about 30 routes suggested on the tourist website.

If you haven't been before I'd recommend it. I like France and wasn't sure, but I'm a convert now.

Hope that helps,

Jo

grath
16-02-2012, 12:29
Thanks Jo for the info, we just need to get the environment sticker for Germany. Then down the rivers we go:boat:

bob72
16-02-2012, 12:31
We went to Germany a couple of years ago - the Stellplatz are harder to find than the French aires, but if you know where you are going they are fine. there's a thread somewhere on here telling you a website that gives details.

The German Tourist information website is excellent - and gives suggested driving routes. We picked one that started at the point where we were entering the country anyway, rather than drive for miles just to start. We had a choice between the fairytale route (where the brothers Grimm set their stories) or the asparagus route. Tough choice but we went for the fairy tale route - asparagus wasn't in season so it would have just been 'the route'! Seriously, it's the route that's attractive, you don't need to go in asparagus season. There are about 30 routes suggested on the tourist website.

If you haven't been before I'd recommend it. I like France and wasn't sure, but I'm a convert now.

Hope that helps,

Jo

We bought a book on the Stellplatz in Germany and it has a handy map included so its quite easy to use it to find any near where you want to go. The book also has pictures showing what they look like.

Oh and we bought it in a Petrol station and the guy at the till was exceptionally helpful and funny. Had a great time in Germany even though we only really passed through.

Jo001
16-02-2012, 12:37
This is the Stellplatz website - » Touring24.info - Datenbank für Reisemobilstellplätze - Stellplätze Stellplaetze Stellplatz Stellplatzdatenbank womo Wohnmobil Reisemobil (http://touring24.info/index.asp)

It has pop up ads which are a pest, but it's ok.

grath
16-02-2012, 12:42
Also here from Vicarious

Reise Mobil Bord Atlas 2011 German Stellplatze Guide (http://www.vicarious-shop.com/Bord-Atlas-2012-German-Stellplatze-reise-mobile-guide.html)

Dezi
16-02-2012, 13:16
Hi Grath, We travel down to Italy each year to viist the mafia relations. Have also carried on as far south as Pompii.

We use a different route each time, so bit difficult to advise without knowing a bit more about your preferences.

Dezi :scooter:

grath
16-02-2012, 13:42
Hi Grath, We travel down to Italy each year to viist the mafia relations. Have also carried on as far south as Pompii.

We use a different route each time, so bit difficult to advise without knowing a bit more about your preferences.

Dezi :scooter:

Hi Dezi, done around the lakes with a truck doing brass ware collections a few times.
Been quite a few times around Milano, Brescia and down to Rome area. Also been to the real Mafia country Sicily, and over nighted under Etna. Been to Puglia area with the white round houses. Brilliant!
Would be nice to do it for myself at my own speed, having the time to look around. Most people seem to shoot through Italy and not stop!
Just looking for ideas countries as much as areas.

Bigpeetee
16-02-2012, 14:09
I love the Black Forest area and into Switzerland.

Set yourself a challenge, enter and leave Switzerland on the small roads and only use the ordinary roads, therefore you don't need to pay the motorway tax, unless that's changed now!!

Justjack
16-02-2012, 14:10
How about Croatia? We toured down the coast to Dubrovnik then got the ferry over to Italy. Croatia is beautiful, the roads are both good and quiet. We went in April and the weather was perfect. Unfortunately not good for wildcamping and we had to use sites, but these too were mainly very good and also cheap using the ACSI card. I realise you would prefer to just park up, as we would have done, but this country is well worth a visit.

grath
16-02-2012, 14:36
How about Croatia? We toured down the coast to Dubrovnik then got the ferry over to Italy. Croatia is beautiful, the roads are both good and quiet. We went in April and the weather was perfect. Unfortunately not good for wildcamping and we had to use sites, but these too were mainly very good and also cheap using the ACSI card. I realise you would prefer to just park up, as we would have done, but this country is well worth a visit.

Thanks Jack, we are leaning towards Croatia, Yes it is very nice! We did it over 20 years ago, all down the coast rd with a tent. Went up and over the old Mostar bridge!
Just got to get through Slovenia with over 3500kg

cipro
16-02-2012, 15:49
Hi Grath we are going to germany this year for a week, then in to Belgium to see the start of tour de france
envirementle stickers what is all that about. Does Germany carry different motorhome rules than France.
Ps i trust you and cath are well and you are well into your retirment :)

grath
16-02-2012, 16:04
Hi Grath we are going to germany this year for a week, then in to Belgium to see the start of tour de france
envirementle stickers what is all that about. Does Germany carry different motorhome rules than France.
Ps i trust you and cath are well and you are well into your retirment :)

Hi Cipro (Tim) here isn the information about Germany, you need the stickers for some towns and city's. I think is will cost about £40
Umweltplakette/Feinstaubplakette - Informationen und Bestellmglichkeit (http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php)

https://umwelt-plakette.de/sprachauswahl_foreignshop.php?SID=a894c3f41cb73d8e c18a2540991d2397&transmitter=&navID=&lang=2&step=1&country=26

yes we are enjoying retirement, last year we had 15 weeks away on mainland Europe.
Hope you and Laney are well and enjoying your M/H

barryd
16-02-2012, 18:04
Hi Grath

Some stuff in our Europe 2011 blog on Hank the Tank Motorhome website (http://www.hankthetank.co.uk) about the Mosel, Black Forest and Switzerland if your heading that way. (watch out for the Stellplatz Killer in the Black Forest though, now you will have to read it!).

To be honest when we got to Switzerland we wondered why we bothered with the Mosel. Black forest is good though and if you havent done the Rhine falls just over in Switzerland they are a must see (see 2009).

The only issue with Switzerland is we felt forced onto sites where we went. Stunning though and we found a great ACSI site at the top of the Jungfrau valley up from Interlaken.

Great farm site at Weggis on Lucern. Bit like a big CL. (again see blog)

Strangly we are also thinking of Austria, Slovenia and Croatia this year. I have just been complining a list of Aires for Austria or whatever they are called there (stellplatz I guess).

grath
16-02-2012, 18:07
Thanks Barry, I did Switzerland when i was a kid, the Eiger, Jungfrau, Interlaken etc.
memories memories:banana:

Yogihughes
17-02-2012, 11:07
When I was over in Germany in 2010 visiting family, (Army), I nicked into an MOT garage and purchased my umwelt for 5 Euros.

cipro
17-02-2012, 20:46
hi thanks for info.not much free MH these days.

witzend
18-02-2012, 20:55
Hi is there a map available on the net which shows the German emission zones well enough to know if we will need the badge during a visit also is it available to buy when entering Germany

grath
18-02-2012, 22:35
Hi is there a map available on the net which shows the German emission zones well enough to know if we will need the badge during a visit also is it available to buy when entering Germany

All the information is here, I posted it above, you must have missed it.
It should help

Umweltplakette/Feinstaubplakette - Informationen und Bestellmglichkeit (http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php)

witzend
18-02-2012, 22:55
Hi Grath no I saw that link but they are charging for getting the badge for you I wondered how easy it would be to purchase it in Germany as New Rover said in his reply from MOT station also if I'd need it at all We both hate citys of any sort

jonegood
19-02-2012, 06:31
Its quite easy to do Germany without purchasing the umwelt sticker, you only need it when you get into the centres of cities - a bit like the LEZ, you just need to be a bit careful and not blindly follow the satnav. I think you would be unlucky to get caught out as a guest in their country. If you decide you want one you go into one of their local council offices with 5 euros and your v5.

Germany has thousands of Stellplatze, most town and cities have them, you just follow the pictograms like in France. They tend to be of a good quality and will often look like basic campsite with a decent size space and a hook up, you can expect to pay though-typically 5-10 euros and keep some 1e and 2e cons for the meters. I reccomend you either buy a bordatlas or stellplatzfuhrer, or have a look at CAMPINGCAR-INFOS (http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm) they list 4519.

Roads are excellent and free, allthough Fuel is not readily bought at supermarkets as in France and UK, suggest you neck it in Luxembourg (1.20 euros/litre), and then try and buy at Metro Cash and Carrys ( large blue signs often seen from the side of the autobahns) Tankstelle but make sure you ve got cash as they don t take many cards.

I think you ve got people confused with the short tour title, if you d given a time frame, how far you like to travel in a day and what you like to do it would be easier to give suggestions. I love the Romantic route from Wurzberg to Fussen but I also like the Mosel and Rhine, the MB museum at Stutgart, Bavaria, drinking Beer in Munich, Lake Constance, The Eagles Nest at Berchtesgarten.

Top tip for getting into Austria without Go box (only reqd for Motorways) is to go via Garmish over the E177 to Innsbruck turning off as you get to the bottom of the large hill ( you will know it when you see it) and follow the north side of the river through Innsbruck. Alternativly if your on 4 wheels just buy a 7 day vignette and hope know one notices, we ve done both

To get to croatia, go to Trieste and pick up the A7 to Rijeka this is free apart for a section of motorway at the end 1 euro charge.

If you want a really amazing trip go to Trieste via Zell am See and over Grossglockner you have to pay about 20 euros for this but it is the most amazing road.

Hope you have a great time

Jon

grath
19-02-2012, 07:32
Thanks Jonegood, a very informative post with lots of good information.
I could not be more precise as my idea's are very flexible and as an ex International Trucker, I am quite used to mainland Europe and travelling distances are neither here or there for me as I can do a little or a lot.
We are now leaning towards Croatia, via Germany,Switzerland. Italy and Slovenia as northern countries seem to have mote Go Box type of control. But we could just as easy go west into our well known comfort zone.
Probably a little misleading as I doubt it will be a short tour.
Thanks again

barryd
19-02-2012, 08:54
Someone told me the other day that southern Croatia is best as the northern end is busier, mainly with Germans (nothing wrong with Germans of course, just passing on what I heard!). Anyone been and got any specific recomendations?

grath
19-02-2012, 09:22
Someone told me the other day that southern Croatia is best as the northern end is busier, mainly with Germans (nothing wrong with Germans of course, just passing on what I heard!). Anyone been and got any specific recomendations?

I have heard it has got expensive and someone on here said that wilding is difficult:mad:

bob72
19-02-2012, 09:52
Regarding Croatia, make sure your insurance company will cover you. It is a myth that you can buy insurance at the borders these days.

We failed to get it, and no one seemed to care when we asked the border control, police and shop keepers. The common response was 'Who said you need it? It will be ok'

We tried two borders and drove to a few villages near the border but then gave up and headed back to Slovenia.

grath
19-02-2012, 10:52
Agree, I would not go anywhere without insurance. I remember when we drove to Turkey many moons ago we had difficulty in obtaining insurance for the Asian side, over the Golden Horn Bridge, but we managed it in the end before we left home.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS