PDA

View Full Version : Thiepval war graves - Dog friendly

lotty
22-02-2012, 19:05
Hi,
Does anyone know if the war graves allow you to take your dog in with you?
We are taking our 1st trip to France at end June with the dog and don't like to leave him in the van for long. I want to visit the graves at Thiepval to find my Great Grandad's grave.
I have looked on the Information centre website and the War graves commission site and can find no info on dogs? Has anyone had any experience there?
Thanks
Lotty

robjk
22-02-2012, 19:16
Hi,
Does anyone know if the war graves allow you to take your dog in with you?
We are taking our 1st trip to France at end June with the dog and don't like to leave him in the van for long. I want to visit the graves at Thiepval to find my Great Grandad's grave.
I have looked on the Information centre website and the War graves commission site and can find no info on dogs? Has anyone had any experience there?
Thanks
Lotty

Hi Lotty
We visited the war graves close to Pegasus bridge last year and can not remember seeing any signs saying no dogs and there were no shut gates so local dogs could wander in if they wanted to.
Sorry if this is a bit vague but the best I can offer.

Rob

witzend
22-02-2012, 21:03
No Dogs at Coulville sur Mere (Omaha Beach) and almost sure several others

bigG
23-02-2012, 13:49
I visited Thiepval 3 years ago and walked around and into the reception area with my dog (on a lead of course) with no hassle.

Show respect and you will be respected for it!

Its a remarkable place.

witzend
24-02-2012, 20:05
I asked a question and got this answer from Thiepval

The links may be of use to anyone planning a visit dog or not

I don't know if there is legislation in Belgium and France about not taking dogs into cemeteries as a general law, but as a matter of the respect for those buried in the military cemeteries I personally don't think it is appropriate. I've never seen visitors with a dog in a military cemetery.

If you want an official answer I suggest you ask the Commonwealth War Graves Commission at CWGC - Homepage (http://www.cwgc.org/)

Joanna

Joanna Legg
A guide to the WW1 battlefields and home to the Poppy Umbrella (http://www.greatwar.co.uk)

iandsm
25-02-2012, 17:46
We visit my my wife's mother and fathers graves. Usually we take our dog on a lead and although there is a small sign saying "no dogs" at the cemetery entrance we ignore it because we keep the dog on a lead and she is quite and respectful as we are. There are always people about but we have never had a problem. Perhaps the other visitors understand that there are a great many dog lovers in residence, my in laws in particular loved dogs and would be thrilled to bits to know we take ours to their graves.

witzend
27-03-2012, 14:45
Got this today from The war Graves commision

Our Ref: 67926

Date: 27 March 2012

Dear Witzend

Thank you for your e mail of 27 March.
Please note that the Commission does not have a written policy with regard to the admission of dogs to our cemeteries and memorial grounds.

Of course, we do not condone visitors who allow their dogs to run free or leave a mess behind

but we are, as I am sure you will appreciate, reliant upon the sensibilities of individuals to ensure their behaviour is appropriate to the environment and to the feelings and beliefs of other visitors.

I hope this is explanatory and that your visit goes well.

Yours sincerely

Julie Somay (Mrs)

Enquiries Administrator

lotty
27-03-2012, 20:40
Got this today from The war Graves commision

Our Ref: 67926

Date: 27 March 2012

Dear Witzend

Thank you for your e mail of 27 March.
Please note that the Commission does not have a written policy with regard to the admission of dogs to our cemeteries and memorial grounds.

Of course, we do not condone visitors who allow their dogs to run free or leave a mess behind

but we are, as I am sure you will appreciate, reliant upon the sensibilities of individuals to ensure their behaviour is appropriate to the environment and to the feelings and beliefs of other visitors.

I hope this is explanatory and that your visit goes well.

Yours sincerely

Julie Somay (Mrs)

Enquiries Administrator

Thanks for that Witzend, (I have emailed them myself too but have had no response yet)

witzend
02-04-2012, 09:12
They took a long time to reply to me too emailed them same day as the other reply so you may hear some time soon

lotty
02-04-2012, 13:52
They took a long time to reply to me too emailed them same day as the other reply so you may hear some time soon

I got my reply the other day. Same quote as yourself, good to know I havn't got to leave him in the van while I visit my Great grandad. It mentions on the graves commision website about thefts from vehicles on their carparks and this worried me with leaving the dog in the van, not that they would want my mut but the thought of him getting out or hurt if we were broken into scares the life out of me!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS