PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Advice

Bulawayo Lass
02-03-2012, 01:59
Am hoping that May June time we can go up to Scotland for a few days and wild it as Andy has never been north of the border. Does anyone have any ideas of places to go for a 5 day ramble. We live down muddy Manchester so will take us a few hrs to get to Scotland as l tend to do around 45mph (best fuel). CB is 24.4ft and although l am happy enough driving l want my first proper experience in him to be easy on me so nothing to hard road wise but want to see as much as possible of the wild parts not to worried about towns apart from anything parking in towns could be tricky.
Would love to go up to Nessie territory but may be a bit far on this trip though other than that open to all suggestions.
Many thanks for all ideas, advice, suggestions :bow:

Deleted user 21925
02-03-2012, 05:04
I would recommend the West coast and Highlands and Islands for the stunning scenery. If you plan your route properly you can stick to decent enough roads, however, SatNav may try to take you on shortcuts which you really do not want to take, so beware!

Midges can be a problem, so take plenty of Avon Skin-So-Soft as a repellant, it really does work. (yup, even us blokes use it, even if we do get some funny looks!).

I have always found the Scottish people to be really friendly and helpful, especially in the remote and rural areas, although some of the stronger accents can be harder to keep up with. There are lots of old threads on this site which you will find useful, or you may wish to rethink your plans and fit in with the 'WC convoy to Scotland One/two weeks this Summer', or the 'Highland Gathering', again, you will find threads for these planned trips.

It is a long way to drive, (not too bad from Manchester though), but well worth it.

Rob

Yogihughes
02-03-2012, 08:12
As a resident Jock I would suggest that for your first trip, just take it a bit easy.
Instead of trying to get up too far North, have a day or two in Dumfries and Galloway and then a day or two in Argyllshire.
An awful lot of people race up the A74M (M74) bypassing D+G and miss out on this great district.
Great for wildcamping sites too.

On the subject of when to go I would suggest May as there is less chance of the Midges being out then.
Anyway, ENJOY and WELCOME to Scotland!!!

barryd
02-03-2012, 08:16
For me Scotland doesnt really get started until you get beyond Glasgow up the west coast or up to Stirling and beyond through the Trossachs so quite a drive. For me I would head for the Isle of Arran as its our favourite but if you only have 5 days it might be a bit costly.

Yogihughes
02-03-2012, 12:32
That is the point I was trying to make.
It seems everyone is so intent in getting North of Glasgow that they do not realise just how good D+G is for touring and wilding!!
I reckon people are missing out on not going there.

I do not live in D+G, I live in Glasgow, so it is just 30 mins for me to go to Loch Lomond.

Ste
02-03-2012, 14:28
Totally agree with you New Rover, but SSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! The more people avoid D&G, the more of it I get to myself!

wizzy
02-03-2012, 14:51
Dumfries & Galloway and the Ayrshire coast would be good if you only have 5 days. Also some good walks around the Moffat area.

runnach
02-03-2012, 14:58
As others have stated, D&G for a 5 day jolly, blue flag beach at Brighouse Bay. Google "7 Staines" brilliant for WC, Glen Trool being one off them. Queensway Forest drive, Raiders road forest drive.............to name a few and, if you do find extra time, a wee dawdle north east to borders region is another good area for WC.

I wouldn't worry too much aboot the dreaded midge, this lot are just scaremongering!!

winks
02-03-2012, 15:07
Great wild spot about 1km off the A713.

Polmaddy Burn, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Polmaddy+Burn,+Dumfries+and+Galloway,+Unite d+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.166417,-4.201326&spn=0.021964,0.055017&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.644408,28.168945&geocode=FbboSQMdmYi-_w&hnear=Polmaddy+Burn&t=m&z=14&layer=c&cbll=55.166508,-4.201388&panoid=QjVVgBMltYx1Al9dl6AURA&cbp=12,0,,0,0).

Sorry about the messy link, but it does work.

All along the coast is nice as well, Sweetheart Abbey etc, and if you like Formula One a trip to the David Coulthard museum and diner at Twynholm is very good value for money.

If you fancy a trip to the edge of the known world then the Mull of Galloway is a definite good idea. Decent coffee at the little cafe as well as the possibility of seeing the occasional Puffin.

Just don't get sucked into covering a lot of ground because you will miss a lot of what Scotland and the motorhome is all about.

Good Luck

Harold and Roseann Windle

Bulawayo Lass
02-03-2012, 18:58
Many thanks Brian and l did the west coast about 4 yrs ago but only 2 days we knew nothing about wildcamping the name if it was legal or anything and stopped in a couple of laybys but were worried about being moved on. I will take the D & G suggestion and plan a visit. We went up to Lock Lomand and it was lovely the plan had been to go on to nessie land but Brian suddenly wanted to visit his daughters down Carlisle, l am glad he did as was the last time he saw the one of them before he passed (other was away) l am in no mood to rush just enjoy l can do a longer one when l know how things (including) me work.

I remember we picked up tourist brochures while driving around so think l may do that again that way can keep flexible in what we see and do but anyone has any other suggestions of lovely places other than ones suggested l am willing to take them on board :boat:

With luck midges are like mossies to Andy and l mossies ignore me and Andy was saying they did the same to him. Poor Brian suffered though in Tenerife and where ever we found mossies they used him as an open all hours snack bar and blood orgy parlour! Am told with mossies it is down to body heat seems Brian was a nice warm blood bag us 2 are walking fridges :lol-053:

runnach
02-03-2012, 19:59
Em, tis "Loch Lomond" lass, I'm not being pedantic, nor the spelling police, I'm just worried a wee tad, coz if you pump "lock Lomand" into your satvav, god only knows where you might end up!! :juggle:

Bulawayo Lass
02-03-2012, 20:21
Opps ta Runnach sorry Brian also kept having a go at me because l was pronouncing it wrong seems that translates to spelling it wrong as well, note made :lol-053:

(have been scavenging items from the Scotland database to set up a vague route with)

toxicturtle
18-03-2012, 22:22
one product
Smidge!

DUGGIESMURF
17-04-2012, 10:54
Try the east coast ,,,scotland east coast is great ,,lots of places to stop ,,,,,dundee -----park up near broughty ferry castle ,very quiet -------arbroath--at the end of the links ,there is a no overnight sign at the toilet block ,park at the end no probs,,police came round twice 2230 /2345 gave us a friendly wave ,,,enjoy the north east coast :)

Bulawayo Lass
19-04-2012, 19:55
Thanks Duggie l like the comment on no parking/loos :-)) TT midges whenever we go will hope they dont bother as mossies dont touch me if they eat Andy l dont mind :)

runnach
19-04-2012, 20:06
I fancy making one of these to resolve any midge problem, should work out better than SSS?

Flame Thrower - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaP_5d8ZpQ)

:lol-061:

barryd
20-04-2012, 08:15
I fancy making one of these to resolve any midge problem, should work out better than SSS?

Flame Thrower - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaP_5d8ZpQ)

:lol-061:

Dunno about midges but it might be good fun on a CC Club site (if I ever went on one) if you have any tugger neighbours with twitchy net curtains.

Yogihughes
20-04-2012, 08:40
Just ignore the midges!
Cause if ye kill wan! 5,000,000 turn up fur the funeral!!!!!

christine
20-04-2012, 08:42
I agree, Dumfries and Galloway is a gem.

Hi, Winks, we are in Dalton! Is the road to Polmaddy Burn ok for a 23 feet coachbuilt? Heading this way in a couple of weeks and hope to take in the forest drive in Carrick Forest, amongst other routes, so looking for a nice place to stop.

snowbirds
20-04-2012, 16:46
Hi

We toured Scotland for a month in 2009 after buying our new van. We had plenty of time so had a lot of places to aim for, from the loch's and Mountains of the west and up to Cape Wrath were you can see the puffins on great beaches. The midges do try to eat you alive in June so no Kilts, but then I'm a southern softy. Also look out for the logging lorry's on the small loch roads up by the submarine base's, they don't slow or move over for anyone unless you want pine trim. The roads are very quite in Scotland,with little traffic and no body in a great hurry. We only had one biker that sat inside my mirrors on his horn for about half a mile to pass on a narrow road, but they fit in the scenery well with a nudge:wacko:We love Scotland can't wait to return.

Regards Snowbirds.:have fun:

Am hoping thaMay June time we can go up to Scotland for a few days and wild it as Andy has never been north of the border. Does anyone have any ideas of places to go for a 5 day ramble. We live down muddy Manchester so will take us a few hrs to get to Scotland as l tend to do around 45mph (best fuel). CB is 24.4ft and although l am happy enough driving l want my first proper experience in him to be easy on me so nothing to hard road wise but want to see as much as possible of the wild parts not to worried about towns apart from anything parking in towns could be tricky.
Would love to go up to Nessie territory but may be a bit far on this trip though other than that open to all suggestions.
Many thanks for all ideas, advice, suggestions :bow:

Vanterrier
30-04-2012, 10:51
Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish Borders would be your best bet as suggested already. Take the Old road up from Gretna to Moffat (runs alongside the M74 and is much nicer) and come off at Moffat and take the signs for Selkirk passing Grey Mares Tail and St Mary's Loch. North to Innerleithen and back to Moffat is a nice loop but dont be tempted to take the Megget Water road north from St Mary's loch as you will not get down the steep drop to Talla in your rig. Or from St Mary's Loch you could head south into the Etterick Valley and head back down to Lockerbie before moving west to Dumfries and Galloway "proper" Or, Or, Or... theres so much choice.

Enjoy the area and dont think you have not been to Scotland just because you have not successfully negotiated the Glasgow/Edinburgh belt and survived ;)

K

scenictraveller
13-05-2012, 13:13
this area has a few nice wild camp sites,
taynuilt slip is a good one usually a few wild campers ad anglers there.

also at the other side theres the road beside bonawe quarry that leads to a small hill top platform,
big enough for a any campervan.

loads of other spots on both sides of the loch.

as posted before arm urself with smidge repellent does as it say on the tin.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS