PDA

View Full Version : Kirkstone Pass, Cumbria

nij
18-03-2012, 01:33
54.472214,-2.923018

54.472214,-2.923018 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54.472214,-2.923018&hl=en&ll=54.472232,-2.922709&spn=0.002438,0.006899&num=1&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.472232,-2.922709&panoid=Frl56sBTGrJFGyIhHcYOkg&cbp=12,321.23,,0,-10.92)

You want breathtaking views????
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/nightstalkernij/Untitled-1.jpg

HAUL83
18-03-2012, 18:42
That's so beautiful! Is that going north or south?

Croftland1
20-03-2012, 07:52
That's so beautiful! Is that going north or south?

That's looking north towards Brotherswater

P McClure
20-03-2012, 07:55
Was going to park on the side of Ullswater tonight. Was wondering if I could overnight in that car park instead?

Peter

christine
20-03-2012, 08:46
I can't believe there aren't any of the you know what signs here.

P McClure
21-03-2012, 20:27
Had a look yesterday and no signs saying no overnight parking. Carried on a few miles and had a pleasant night parked along Ullswater.

Steeveboy
21-03-2012, 20:45
Fabulous drive but not so going north in early Dec in wicked storms when lake & road were as one. Police cones up stopping traffic going southbound and they were quite suprised to see a Rapido motorhome coming northwards pushing a wave in front of it. some experience but one I do not want to repeat.

Ste
26-03-2012, 13:55
Was here yesterday. Sign clearly states No Camping or Sleeping Overnight in Vehicles. Spent the night down 'the struggle' overlooking Ambleside instead and had a great nights sleep!!

Canalsman
26-03-2012, 17:24
Was here yesterday. Sign clearly states No Camping or Sleeping Overnight in Vehicles. Spent the night down 'the struggle' overlooking Ambleside instead and had a great nights sleep!!

:( :( :(

The spot on The Struggle is in the POIs (or will be come the April 1st release ...).

Ste
26-03-2012, 17:51
:( :( :(

The spot on The Struggle is in the POIs (or will be come the April 1st release ...).

Yes, its already in POI. Think its under OR Kirkstone Road

queencatifah
03-02-2015, 19:42
We drove the long way from Kirksone down to Ambleside because signs indicated that it was a narrow road. Any thoughts from anyone whose been down there? We have a small motorhome - not a VW type camper. Thanks in advance for your advice. Catherine

Alf
03-02-2015, 20:07
Hi Catherine a walk in the park for your Eldis Its not too bad a road and there are far steeper and or narrow roads out there its a good spot to gain confidence if you have a doubt drive down have a cup of tea and a break then Drive UP

It will do you the world of good. With most passes such as Applecross I always prefer downhill travel anyway as the driver then gets to see the view as well looking past his vision and see the upward coming traffic to make allowances for. You will soon get used to it

( They are only other road user they don't own the road if in doubt just stop )

Alf

We drove the long way from Kirksone down to Ambleside because signs indicated that it was a narrow road. Any thoughts from anyone whose been down there? We have a small motorhome - not a VW type camper. Thanks in advance for your advice. Catherine

queencatifah
03-02-2015, 23:40
Thanks for the advice, Alf. Our Elddis is 7'2" and I am sure the sign for the struggle said a maximum of 6'6" which is why we didn't tackle it. I don't like reversing at the best of times - and especially not back up a 1 in 4 hill - or whatever it is. Are you suggesting though that when a sign says 6'6" I don't have to believe it?
Cheers, Catherine

Hi Catherine a walk in the park for your Eldis Its not too bad a road and there are far steeper and or narrow roads out there its a good spot to gain confidence if you have a doubt drive down have a cup of tea and a break then Drive UP

It will do you the world of good. With most passes such as Applecross I always prefer downhill travel anyway as the driver then gets to see the view as well looking past his vision and see the upward coming traffic to make allowances for. You will soon get used to it

( They are only other road user they don't own the road if in doubt just stop )

Alf

Obanboy666
04-02-2015, 05:38
Thanks for the advice, Alf. Our Elddis is 7'2" and I am sure the sign for the struggle said a maximum of 6'6" which is why we didn't tackle it. I don't like reversing at the best of times - and especially not back up a 1 in 4 hill - or whatever it is. Are you suggesting though that when a sign says 6'6" I don't have to believe it?
Cheers, Catherine

I go to the lakes at least once a month and wouldn't dream of going up or down the Struggle in my Swift at 7'3".
The problem is if you meet another vehicle which you are more or less certain to. It could be a nightmare, don't bother risking it.

Debs
04-02-2015, 06:03
A few years ago, a coach driver ignored the signs on The Struggle. It was a pensioners day out. The coach ended up on its roof in someone's garden! The width limit is 6' 6". The Struggle is aptly named and demands respect, but it is a beautiful part of the lakes, and is there to be enjoyed by all.

Alf
04-02-2015, 10:03
Catherine you never mentioned a width restriction did you of course you ignore at your peril

Alf

Cheers, Catherine

queencatifah
05-02-2015, 11:30
Thanks, that's good advice. In future if I see a width restriction anything less than 7'2" I won't be even tempted. As you say, the stuff of nightmares! Not the recipe for a happy holiday! Cheers, Catherine

I go to the lakes at least once a month and wouldn't dream of going up or down the Struggle in my Swift at 7'3".
The problem is if you meet another vehicle which you are more or less certain to. It could be a nightmare, don't bother risking it.

queencatifah
05-02-2015, 11:32
We are fairly local being from Lancaster / Morecambe Bay, so have been up and down the Struggle many times in the past - but in a car. We'll have to find different routes when we're camping! Thanks for the advice, Debs

A few years ago, a coach driver ignored the signs on The Struggle. It was a pensioners day out. The coach ended up on its roof in someone's garden! The width limit is 6' 6". The Struggle is aptly named and demands respect, but it is a beautiful part of the lakes, and is there to be enjoyed by all.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS