PDA

View Full Version : Attack on wildcamping couple

Biker Jeff
13-06-2007, 14:21
Whilst i dont wish to be a scaremonger, i feel this story is of caution to all us wildcampers.

PLEASE BE CAREFULů

Two men due in court on attempted murder charge

Two men have been charged with attempting to murder a couple of English holidaymakers who were subjected to a vicious hatchet attack on the border.

The husband and wife from Skegness, Linconshire, were asleep in their camper van parked just off the main Belfast - Dublin cross-border road when they were attacked in the early hours of Monday morning.

The 56-year-old woman suffered a fractured skull while her husband , aged 61, sustained a broken arm in the attack which took place on the southern side of the border.

Both received cuts to their heads in the 4am attack in which their camper van was taken leaving them injured and abandoned in a dark blood-splattered parking area once used by customs officers checking lorries crossing the border.

The couple are being treated in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda where their condition is said to be stable.

The husband and wife are understood to have just arrived in Ireland on a ferry from Scotland on Sunday and driven across the border into the south before parking up for the night.

After the brutal assault their attackers made off in their camper van, later found engulfed in flames across the border in Northern Ireland.

Shortly afterwards two men, who police said were in their early 20s, were arrested by officers in Northern Ireland after driving through a police check point.

The men, aged 20 and 21, were each charged by police in Northern Ireland with attempting to murder the couple, aggravated burglary, hijacking and arson.

They are expected to appear before the Magistrates Court in Newry, Co Down this morning.

Police said they were unable to say whether the accused would eventually face a trial in the north or south - however co-operative legislation does allow for cases to be heard in the alternative jurisdiction.

It is understood the men charged actually come from Northern Ireland.

Biker Jeff
13-06-2007, 14:44
Heres the news link for it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/6743497.stm

cipro
13-06-2007, 19:08
Scum backs:mad: :mad: :mad:

I now there is some risks even if it feels a safe place, it may well be oppertunists.

Ithink untill i have a major scare I will keep wild camping when ever I can.

I feel sorry for the holiday makers.

GARY ENGLISH
14-06-2007, 08:21
It seems now a days it does not matter were you go ,this happens all over the place.There is all ways some unlucky person,hope they are recovering well.It is good to report all these things ,just to kept people aware.

irenerobbie
14-06-2007, 14:56
It seems now a days it does not matter were you go ,this happens all over the place.There is all ways some unlucky person,hope they are recovering well.It is good to report all these things ,just to kept people aware.

no garry, this report is horrible but it is a rare event. one assault is one too many but lets keep it in perspective. there are many people out there who gladly will never have any problems with violent attacks whilst "wilding" , so be aware but keep on doing it.

14-06-2007, 20:27
oh dear..................bad news....makes me feel sad when i hear stories like that...good job it doesnt happen often as its enough to put people off camping!!:(

voxol51
16-06-2007, 17:26
I agree, this was a very brutal attack, and the perpitrators should be hung drawn and quartered.

But it easy to become paranoid. How many times have we heard people say they would never go to Spain for fear of being attacked, but how many thousands of motorhomers/caravanners visit Spain every year without incident?

I shall go on wild camping / free parking as much as I can, for as long as I can, hoping common sense will look after me as it has in the past.

Voxy.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS