PDA

View Full Version : Whitby Layby

chilly
04-04-2012, 17:49
Does anyone know whether the layby to the south east of Whitby is still OK to wildcamp? (about a mile and a quarter from the centre)
I fancy a night in the town this coming weekend and I reckon this is about as close as I'll get.

I've tried uploading a pic but can't

chilly
04-04-2012, 17:50
picture

Neckender
04-04-2012, 17:58
Why don't you go into Whitby and park on the main carpark at the back of the co-op. says no overnighting but no one takes notice, 6 for 24hours we stop there quite often.

John.

deanjo
04-04-2012, 18:33
Why don't you go into Whitby and park on the main carpark at the back of the co-op. says no overnighting but no one takes notice, 6 for 24hours we stop there quite often.

John.

funny you said that,i've only just this afternoon been talking to my mate and he was at whitby last weekend,he stays on the seafront on the north side,but he did mention the car park you refer to and also theres another car park in the centre.

northernspirit2001
04-04-2012, 18:38
I know the lay-by you mean, it would be perfect for me as I like to be out of everyone's way (northside MH are a bit unpopular with hoteliers and residents I am told) but helluva walk up from the town but nice and quiet for a lay-by

chilly
04-04-2012, 18:42

John.

I would but we won't get there until lunchtime Saturday and thought it might be full with it being Easter. Will obviously have a gander.

chilly
04-04-2012, 18:44
I know the lay-by you mean, it would be perfect for me as I like to be out of everyone's way (northside MH are a bit unpopular with hoteliers and residents I am told) but helluva walk up from the town but nice and quiet for a lay-by
I figured it would be on a bus route. And, as you say should be quietish. There's a scooter rally on in town so it could be quite noisey

maingate
04-04-2012, 19:22
I think I remember reading a thread about a change to parking restrictions on the North side of Whitby. I might be wrong but someone should know for certain.

The central car park is a good stopover but I only ever go to that sort of seaside place in Winter and have had no problems. There are very good toilets and water available at the Marina side of the car park. Plus the supermarket and shops nearby.

chilly
10-04-2012, 14:35
Well we went to Whitby. Car park behind Co-Op chocker-block (as expected) Lay-by on road in from scarborough has sign saying 'No Overnight Parking' So, not wanting to be knocked up in the middle of the night and asked to move on, we didn't stop there either.

tillytom
10-04-2012, 16:50
We were at Whitby this weekend we usually stay down at the car park near co-op but fancied a change . We turned off for Goatland/ Beck hole on the Pickering road just south of Whitby. There is a parking area 500yards along on the left with a great view and no signs. Give it a try

Canalsman
11-04-2012, 17:15
We were at Whitby this weekend we usually stay down at the car park near co-op but fancied a change . We turned off for Goatland/ Beck hole on the Pickering road just south of Whitby. There is a parking area 500yards along on the left with a great view and no signs. Give it a try

You'll find this in the POI Downloads :)

yorkslass
11-04-2012, 21:08

good place ,far enough from main road so it doesn"t attract boy racers .parking on west cliff pretty much same as always except for a small area in front of the met where they have put parking bays head on to the pavement instead of pararell to it.

karen1910
12-04-2012, 17:50
anyone know the sat nav code for the lay by at whitby please

yorkslass
13-04-2012, 20:57
don"t know the postcode but if you take the scarborough road out of whitby pass the cemetery on the right then keep looking right you can"t miss it. if you want to google it try putting stainsacre industrial estate ,layby is at the other side of the main road.

lotty
23-08-2012, 14:22
Anyone got any updates on Whitby parking and overnighting?
I know in Scarborough we are unwelcome so I was wondering if Whitby is still a goer?
Thanks
Lotty

P.s, Just found some other posts about Whitby, think I'll give it a miss for an overnight?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS