PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Location - Lille, France, near old city centre area

Donmarcos
06-04-2012, 08:36
Overnight Location - Lille old city centre area

Hi I read a post on here while looking for places to camp in Lille. Don't remember who posted it but it said you can park beside the canal in the old Citadel. It also showed a photo. That post was from 2009 so I worried that when we got there, we would find barriers or parking meters.

News is; it's still available and no charges for parking there. We stayed 2 nights and had no problems at all. Easy walking distance to the old centre (10 mins walk to The Opera, main square etc). Fishermen (who catch only the odd tiddler) on your doorstep early morning is the nearest thing to a disturbance. There was a circus in the Citadel last week but still plenty of space to park.
From Facade de L'Esplanade, don't come in down at the south end where the parking is, because there is a 1.8m barrier as you head north along Avenue de Marroniers. Cross at the bridge further up onto Ave du Petit Paradis. The northern section is all free parking. Best not go right up the top end by the waterworks. Not because of any aromas, more due to it being a pick-up point for gentlemen of a certain persuasion. I was propositioned twice. Must have been my lycra shorts! :scared:

RBingham
05-05-2012, 19:05
Hi Thanks for confirming this for us! We were in Lille last night, trying to find a stopover place and so your post was well timed and we too stayed by the canal.
Further info:
The Pont de Paradis has a 2.5 tonnes limit (which we didn't see so went over it!). An alternative route in is to go in the main entrane to the Champs du Mars parking, over the bridge. Ther are height barriers on your right. Go straight on, along the cobbled road and follow it round to the right (not going into the Military Base in the Citadel which is straight on ). Follow the road round the back of the parking area til you reach the end. Turn left and you're on the Avenue du Petit Paradis. 220metres or so along there and you can safely park.

Police patrol regularly

Hope someone melse finds this helpful too!

red ted
05-05-2012, 20:22
Overnight Location - Lille old city centre area

Hi I read a post on here while looking for places to camp in Lille. Don't remember who posted it but it said you can park beside the canal in the old Citadel. It also showed a photo. That post was from 2009 so I worried that when we got there, we would find barriers or parking meters.

News is; it's still available and no charges for parking there. We stayed 2 nights and had no problems at all. Easy walking distance to the old centre (10 mins walk to The Opera, main square etc). Fishermen (who catch only the odd tiddler) on your doorstep early morning is the nearest thing to a disturbance. There was a circus in the Citadel last week but still plenty of space to park.
From Facade de L'Esplanade, don't come in down at the south end where the parking is, because there is a 1.8m barrier as you head north along Avenue de Marroniers. Cross at the bridge further up onto Ave du Petit Paradis. The northern section is all free parking. Best not go right up the top end by the waterworks. Not because of any aromas, more due to it being a pick-up point for gentlemen of a certain persuasion. I was propositioned twice. Must have been my lycra shorts! :scared:

tHNAKS FOR THE IFO PLUS :):):):):) YOU MADE ME LAUGH

antiquesam
01-09-2012, 11:03
Useful information Thank you will be using it next week.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS