PDA

View Full Version : Oban

CarlGilham
07-04-2012, 07:32
Behind Tesco, to the rear of their carpark, there is a dedicated campervan park area with painted marked bays. Have stayed there several times myself. Easy walking access to the town.

coventrycraig
07-04-2012, 08:00
couple of years ago we stayed on the front!

Cant remember if theres parking meters or nor, O r maybe we left it till after 6.

great place to stay!

Craig

winks
07-04-2012, 12:35
Thanks for that one Carl.

On the couple of occasions we've sailed from Oban we overnighted up at the Roseview site, just for the facilities and to put on water before going on the ferry.Next trip we will have a look at the Tesco area and spend the 20 saved on a bottle of Tesco Islay Malt:cool1:

Harold & Roseann Windle

kimbowbill
07-04-2012, 12:44
we got chucked of there a couple of years ago, jobsworth, showed him how much we had spent in the shop and would be calling in the morning, but he still said we had to go :sad: but did us a favour in long run cos we stayed here and had a barbie on the beach, and watched the sun set in peace.

56.438032,-5.469046

Canalsman
07-04-2012, 15:49
we got chucked of there a couple of years ago, jobsworth, showed him how much we had spent in the shop and would be calling in the morning, but he still said we had to go :sad: but did us a favour in long run cos we stayed here and had a barbie on the beach, and watched the sun set in peace.

56.438032,-5.469046

Sadly this spot now has no overnighting signs :(

kimbowbill
07-04-2012, 23:21
oh dear, nice spot too

JohnG12345
22-05-2012, 21:57
We are relatively new to our motorhome and having used some expensive sites last year we would be interested in finding where we could stay overnight this year around oban area if anyone has any up to date info on suitable/safe places please?

Regards

John

Hymertastic
09-08-2012, 23:54
We stayed at the tiny car park (more of a lay by) for the Kerrera ferry a couple of years ago - just on the road to the campsite south of the main Cal Mac ferry port in Oban. Is this still a good place to stay? We were thinking of going there in a week or so.

champstar
10-08-2012, 17:16
Have used the kerrera ferry spot a couple of times but out of high season....dont know what it would be like at this time. We normally use the fearnoch forest spot and it is only a short drive to Oban. It is a pity about Ganavan sands as it is a great spot but is now surrounded by huge mega bucks houses with the police regularly popping in.

maingate
10-08-2012, 17:51
There are a couple of laybyes on the A816 heading South out of Oban, alongside Loch Feochan.

It was reported earlier in the year that they had been filled with gravel etc. in preparation for road resurfacing but they should be clear now.

There were 'no overnight parking' signs there but they have been deemed illegal now.

dydigital
14-09-2012, 20:45
The overnight parking behind tesco is great if you need a early ferry. If you want somewhere out the way, try the old pier at taynult, it has great views.

ian234
06-12-2012, 19:57
The marked bays in the lorry/coach car park next to Tesco were faded on the ground, but the bays were signed 'cars with caravans'. There were no signs prohibiting overnight stays. However, vehicles over 1.5t should pay and display. Another confusing sign though, as it refers to lorries and coaches over 1.5t, but light vans were free!

dydigital
27-02-2013, 17:56
I too saw the confusing signs in September, I paid. Then later after speaking to a local coach driver that it only refered to commercial Vehicles, campervans and caravans are free.

outtolunch
28-02-2013, 08:12
I was in Oban for a wedding in October and parked for 2 nights in the car park by the leisure centre there was a sign hidden behind the shrubbery which I believe stated no overnight sleeping in vehicles so if you stay awake all night and sleep during the day which was close to what I was doing should be all right. There were several other vans parked and I suspect some of those were also occupied overnight but we were all very discrete.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS