PDA

View Full Version : Ideas wanted

blossom
10-04-2012, 19:43
Hi im John my partner and i are new to wild camping,we live in Leeds and would like to go somewhere this weekend but where do you start would love some ideas prefer yorkshire to start us off.Thanks all

Teffy
10-04-2012, 20:10
Hi! Depends whether you want countryside or coast and how confident you are. The first time we set off we headed for Sandsend near Whitby but we couldn't find the right place, everywhere seemed to say no overnight camping. So we carried on up the coast and ended up in a car park near the front at Saltburn. Not bad for a first go, really, as it was well lit and not scary.

Old_Arthur
10-04-2012, 20:36
head to skipton friday night park up in the big car park by the canal some good pubs to walk to,get up early do the town and market them go up to the station at ribblehead and spend sat night there ? close,quiet no problems and will build your confidence while learning the ropes :cool1:

blossom
10-04-2012, 20:42
head to skipton friday night park up in the big car park by the canal some good pubs to walk to,get up early do the town and market them go up to the station at ribblehead and spend sat night there ? close,quiet no problems and will build your confidence while learning the ropes :cool1:

Sounds good to me think we will give it a try thank you

Old_Arthur
10-04-2012, 20:51
hi john if you do park up in the far corner on the canal side for the night then move to another space nearer the toilets on sat morning when you buy your ticket

arthur (camp site dodger)

mickthehat
12-04-2012, 12:59
Hi john
if you like a drink try behind the plough at lebberston just south of scarboro its a nice quiet place and a 24hr garage just a few yards away if you have kids excerlent play park inside and outside the pub also on sunday mornings theres a market
oppersite the pub
another place is the grapes at scaling pete the landlord will let you stay in the car park if you use the pub
also try the parking places between marsk and redcar lovely sea views right next to the beach have stayed lots of times
and never had any probs
hope these help

Firefox
12-04-2012, 13:39
I have just spent a week round the Pately Bridge area near Harrogate.

I can recommend the POI's at Brimham Rocks, Dallowgill Moor, and also Gouthwaite Reservoir. Also Harefield Hall Hotel, Pately Bridge for drinks and eats.

Brimham and Dallowgill are wild spots on the moors, small rural pull-ins. Gouthwaite is a larger private car park on the reservoir edge. That one has an honesty box. 2 a day or 5 overnight, it is much more sheltered. Lots of walking and bird life to spot around the reservoir.

whitevanwoman
12-04-2012, 14:53
I have just spent a week round the Pately Bridge area near Harrogate.

I can recommend the POI's at Brimham Rocks, Dallowgill Moor, and also Gouthwaite Reservoir. Also Harefield Hall Hotel, Pately Bridge for drinks and eats.

Brimham and Dallowgill are wild spots on the moors, small rural pull-ins. Gouthwaite is a larger private car park on the reservoir edge. That one has an honesty box. 2 a day or 5 overnight, it is much more sheltered. Lots of walking and bird life to spot around the reservoir.

I second the above - but be warned, Dallowgill Moor is very exposed and the wind howled all night so it wasn't the best night's sleep I'd had, would have been better on a calmer day. Beautiful though and very remote. But the moor is an SSSI and right to roam access is closed although there is a public footpath which is open although no dogs are allowed at all.

Also, the Nat Trust car park at Brimham Rocks needs to be taken off the POI as the gate is shut at 8pm. Also the parking charges are horrendous, 4 for a couple of hours. Firefox and I used the other POI at Brimham which is a little unofficial car park on the roadside a few hundred metres further along the road from the main car park, suitable for about 5 cars or 2 0r 3 vans. I got there about 7pm and it was deserted. Lovely night time view over the moors with the lights of Ripon in the distance.

I found another couple of likely locations on my drive back home from Gouthwaite Res to Leyburn and Hawes and will post later once I've caught up with a week's worth of dirty washing, unloaded the van, RSVP'd hundreds of emails etc.... :(

I think Harefield Hall would allow you to stay over in their car park for 5, they are very accommodating and you'd have access to water, rubbish disposal and loos with hot water. And their hot chocolate is delicious and comes with a muffin. We didn't have a meal there but the prices looked reasonable for a 4* hotel. And I can recommend their Old Rosy cider :-) But WARNING!!! DO NOT GO DOWN THE TRACK TO THEIR CAMPING FIELD as it's a b****r to get back up, especially in a big vehicle with rear wheel drive after rain! :mad2:

Firefox
12-04-2012, 15:57
It's difficult to get a coachbuilt in their camping field at Harefield House Hotel; the gates are narrow. As for the access track, if you think of a gravel and mud surface, 1:5 slopes in places, and two hairpin bends, you'll get the picture!! I managed to get back up in a front wheel drive van, only by charging it at an obscenely dangerous speed.

However, the good news is they have an upper level car park, and for next year they are hoping to remodel their access track at one constant slope.

Canalsman
12-04-2012, 20:19
Also, the Nat Trust car park at Brimham Rocks needs to be taken off the POI as the gate is shut at 8pm. Also the parking charges are horrendous, 4 for a couple of hours.

Thanks Jess - I'll remove it :)

Regards

Chris

whitevanwoman
12-04-2012, 21:59
It's difficult to get a coachbuilt in their camping field at Harefield House Hotel; the gates are narrow. As for the access track, if you think of a gravel and mud surface, 1:5 slopes in places, and two hairpin bends, you'll get the picture!! I managed to get back up in a front wheel drive van, only by charging it at an obscenely dangerous speed.

However, the good news is they have an upper level car park, and for next year they are hoping to remodel their access track at one constant slope.

And after several brave attempts to get my rear wheel drive Tranny van up it, resulting in a nasty burning clutch smell, I got stuck, wheels spinning and not able to move upwards or downwards but managed to find a nice young man who got the Tranny up the track with his mates, me and Firefox pushing :lol-053:

All's well that ends well, but I was seriously worried at one point that it was going to cost me a fortune if I had to call out Breakdown. Putting 20 behind the bar in the hotel for a drink for the 4 lads who helped me was a small price to pay :cheers:

swishy
29-04-2012, 20:52
Buttertubs Pass just north of Hawes. You shouldn't fail there. Its a great place to stay.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS