PDA

View Full Version : Grey Waste

grath
14-04-2012, 19:26
We have been at the Ambleside Aire for a few days and have noticed that about half of the vans that vacate, leave a tell tale water trail behind as they go. Today another van had left it's grey tap open while washing or whatever, leaving quite a large puddle running towards the adjacent van.
In conversation with the owner, I just mentioned that had he noticed or forgotten to close the tap. He said that he emptied before arriving and as it was difficult to reach and close. Nearly 12 hours latter it is still open and creating a large puddle.
What makes it worse is thet the owner is a member of the respectable club the MCC and told me that he comes here regularly and usually parks on the grass with the tap open as it does the hedges good.
OK it may be good for the hedges but not on the hardcore where the next user might sit out!
Is it worth trying to be responsible with van owners as above letting the side down!:scared:
To be quite honest, in the weather we have with the odd shower, it is not too bad, but not in hotter weather, but I doubt the weather would influence these owners.

Makzine
14-04-2012, 20:50
Thats terrible:sad: if there's nowhere suitable I hold the tank until I get home and empty it then, not on the road as I go that's terrible:sad:

oldish hippy
14-04-2012, 20:57
even i manage grey water better than that and i dont have a tank ok keep chemical to minimum.w/u liquid liquid soap if i fill my bottle then it wil go in the loo till i get chance to empty it

groyne
14-04-2012, 21:02
What a T0$$3r, you should have shut it for him and bunged some sealent up the nozzle for good measure. :hammer:

Tbear
14-04-2012, 21:17
I have stayed on a site in Wales were we where asked to dump grey water near newly planted shrubs. I would not hesitate to dump it in an out of the way grassy bank. Dumping cabbage water and worse where another person is about to camp is repulsive. Just needs a bit of common sense.

Richard

hdeagle
14-04-2012, 21:25
Just returned from giving the dog a run on the sands at Porthcawl this afternoon. As usual there were a few vans parked on the road alongside the beach. Two of these were happy to let their waste water run out while they sat there enjoying the view. :(

maureenandtom
14-04-2012, 21:46
We've all seen these uncaring people now and again but it's just a great pity to tell us all how common it is - though it isn't common - because I've just finished telling people in Scarborough that this irresponsibility is rare.

Now they'll maybe read this. And call me a liar.

About half? If that's what you say then I've got to believe you and the pity is that so will plenty of others.

maingate
14-04-2012, 22:41
There seems to be a link between seaside towns and irresponsible motorhomers.

I hate loads of motorhomes parked in a row. Reminds me of sites. :scared:

So ........ if you are a lazy, dirty freeloader .......... Scarborough is the place for you. Why not have a big rally there ..... regularly.

The rest of us will be behaving ourselves elsewhere. :cheers:

elainekirk
14-04-2012, 22:58
Obviously they fail to realise that if waste can exit then lifeforms can enter ! Some of those outlets seem easy prey for mice and rats and even the reinforced ones with valves will be no protection from the insect world and the chances of water exiting at a force that would cleanse the pipe walls are pretty negligible ... maybe when they see something slimey crawling in the sink or shower tray or hear ominous gnawings in the dead of night they may question their wisdom......but I doubt they will even put two and two together

baloothebear
15-04-2012, 05:10
There does seem to be a growing trend for people to drive along with the grey water valve cracked very slightly open. As for leaving the valve open so that it just runs out on a site, that's just plain filthy and thoughtless

grath
15-04-2012, 17:23
I had a word with the aire owner this morning and he also has noticed an increase of grey water dumping on the aire and he is going to display a sign to help prevent it.
For anybody that knows the aire at Ambleside, a new toilet dump was erected yesterday. Very good!
There was no need to let the wast flow over the aire where people sit around and eat as suitable hedges were available or a person could drive out into a corner of the car park where it would not have been any problem. It just comes down to idle couldn't care less attitude. We bucketed ours to the hedge and on leaving the site we dumped as advised by the owner in an out of the way corner of the car park.

Beemer
15-04-2012, 18:13
I have been parked up in the woods near another campervan, where it is so obvious that the van had no waste storage tank at all, and the grey water was just dumped onto the ground. Not so bad as we were parked in the woods and the grey water soaked into the dry ground very quickly.

I emptied what little grey waste I had onto the grass bank I had backed onto, to see what would happen to it and it also soaked away nicely, leaving no trace.:idea:

robjk
15-04-2012, 18:52
Last week 2 Irish vans in the middle of super market car park in Swansea both had waste open with a puddle underneath and when I pointed it out to the owners I was told in more Irish words than I would want to put on here what to do !!:mad2:

Rob

spigot
15-04-2012, 21:24
There are some dirty bar**ards about, it's not so much the waste water on the ground, it's the STINK, why it smells so much I just don't know, they must rinse all the crap down the sink. In our 'van we wipe all the plates, pans etc. with tissues before washing up with pure soap solution, therefore no problem chucking the waste into a hedgerow & no pong for any other M/Hs around.

al n sal
15-04-2012, 22:39
In our 'van we wipe all the plates, pans etc. with tissues before washing up with pure soap solution, therefore no problem chucking the waste into a hedgerow & no pong for any other M/Hs around.

we do the same makes washing up much easier too

donkey too
16-04-2012, 08:51
we have been at the ambleside aire for a few days and have noticed that about half of the vans that vacate, leave a tell tale water trail behind as they go. Today another van had left it's grey tap open while washing or whatever, leaving quite a large puddle running towards the adjacent van.
In conversation with the owner, i just mentioned that had he noticed or forgotten to close the tap. He said that he emptied before arriving and as it was difficult to reach and close. Nearly 12 hours latter it is still open and creating a large puddle.
What makes it worse is thet the owner is a member of the respectable club the mcc and told me that he comes here regularly and usually parks on the grass with the tap open as it does the hedges good.
Ok it may be good for the hedges but not on the hardcore where the next user might sit out!
Is it worth trying to be responsible with van owners as above letting the side down!:scared:
To be quite honest, in the weather we have with the odd shower, it is not too bad, but not in hotter weather, but i doubt the weather would influence these owners.

pity we can't take pics and name and shame ain't it?

grath
16-04-2012, 09:10
I thought the terrible thing was that even after I pointed it out to one van owner, he happily carried on letting it dump all over the aire over the weekend.
I just couldn't be bothered to mention it to others as I go away to relax and not for possible confrontation.
I must admit, that we dump it in suitable hedgerows, butb we are selective and most certainly would not dump it on an aire. We even bucket it from this aire.

donkey too
16-04-2012, 09:53
I know from a friend on Exmouth council that this is happening more and more and he says that the council are going to discuss it in meeting. So not holding my breath about the future of overnighting in Exmouth. They have already got the hump with people who stay for a week or a fiortnight at a time there and put wash lines up and the dog kennel outside. One last year had a big fridge working from a genny outside his van.
If I do go this year and someone lets their grey waste run towards my van I think I shall get a bottle of jeyes fluid and slash it round their van at night. LOL.
Sad as the drains along that sea front to carry off surface water go straight onto the beach.
I have never let grey water out even in a corner of a car park however secluded it is. There is no need and it is just lazyness. I think it is OK to dispose in a hedgerow as long as the hedgerow is not accessible to dogs and other people. Why not use the old boy scout method and dig a hole and bury it? I dare say that it would be too much trouble for most people?

grath
16-04-2012, 09:57
I know from a friend on Exmouth council that this is happening more and more and he says that the council are going to discuss it in meeting. So not holding my breath about the future of overnighting in Exmouth. They have already got the hump with people who stay for a week or a fiortnight at a time there and put wash lines up and the dog kennel outside. One last year had a big fridge working from a genny outside his van.
If I do go this year and someone lets their grey waste run towards my van I think I shall get a bottle of jeyes fluid and slash it round their van at night. LOL.
Sad as the drains along that sea front to carry off surface water go straight onto the beach.
I have never let grey water out even in a corner of a car park however secluded it is. There is no need and it is just lazyness. I think it is OK to dispose in a hedgerow as long as the hedgerow is not accessible to dogs and other people. Why not use the old boy scout method and dig a hole and bury it? I dare say that it would be too much trouble for most people?

We did let ours out in a secluded corner of the car park as advised by the aire owner who also runs the car park.
It was not tarmacked and would soak away easily into the grass surface.
edit
incidentally, this was on leaving the aire as all week we had been bucketing it to a hedgerow.

donkey too
16-04-2012, 10:54
Not having a go st you Grath. But I am one of those people who cannot stand houseflies and go mad with a swat if i get one in the van. And grey waste atracts and breeds flies. Flies carry and spread deseases. I still feel that If the site owner was more responsible he would make another arangement for the waste disposal. After all it don't take much to put a 'desert rose' soak away in to mention just the easiest method.
I would not like to stay within 100 yards of that place if he had had some dozen vans or so in over a week all depositing their waste and the weather was hot. Most grey waste has food particles and grease in it and is atractive to all kinds of vermin:have fun:.

bopper
16-04-2012, 11:41
Thats terrible:sad: if there's nowhere suitable I hold the tank until I get home and empty it then, not on the road as I go that's terrible:sad:

Eh! Like travel 100 miles, spend one day and then go home to empty the grey waste water! ........... Did I read this right?

maureenandtom
16-04-2012, 12:19
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9642/grathsurvey.jpg

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS