Big Westy
03-07-2007, 12:50
about 15 miles north of Oban ,
can highly recommend Loch Creran.
there are at least a dozen great places,
all with stunning views. & very quiet.
the newish road bridge means there's virtually no traffic
on the loop road around the Loch.
suggest you drive right round the Loch (about 4 miles)
before deciding which is "your" spot.
I'll be there tonight (Tues) & also tomorrow if anyone's
up for a beer ..... stop by.
you can't miss the Big Westy ;-)

swingsandroundabouts
03-07-2007, 21:16
We will be up in that area next week so will definitely check it out.
Cheers:)

sagart
04-07-2007, 08:56
Stayed there over June 29th. T5 + Rough Collie. Best sites are on the south, Oban side. Last good one is opposite a forest track just before the electronic sign warning of flooding in the next section.

Big Westy
04-07-2007, 13:20
yeah, that's my favourite spot too....
unfortunately , they're logging up that track right now
& using the layby as a turning point, so camping there is a definate no - no for now.
another great place is almost directly under the bridge.....
with views out west over the water.

autosleeper
04-07-2007, 15:29
& using the layby as a turning point, so camping there is a definate no - no for now.

That is one of our favourite spots, usually seals about. Stayed last June.

04-07-2007, 16:51
about 15 miles north of Oban ,
can highly recommend Loch Creran.
there are at least a dozen great places,
all with stunning views. & very quiet.
the newish road bridge means there's virtually no traffic
on the loop road around the Loch.
suggest you drive right round the Loch (about 4 miles)
before deciding which is "your" spot.
I'll be there tonight (Tues) & also tomorrow if anyone's
up for a beer ..... stop by.
you can't miss the Big Westy ;-)
not too far from me...only 7 hours :eek:
mind you a beer you say...:p
im on me way :D :D :D

sagart
04-07-2007, 18:43
Logging crew here are contracted by Forest Enterprise and not staff members, and said they have no objection to the layby being used Friday/Saturday/Sunday evening (if you are away early on Monday) - cheerful bunch busy hurling sticks into the loch for their dog to rescue.

swingsandroundabouts
25-07-2007, 22:24
We pulled into the last layby just before the electronic flood warning sign. There is beach access here as well though you had to be a bit of a mountain goat and it is rocky. We saw a seal but best of all for me a lovely black dog came to play! I would dearly love to have a dog but we are away from home too much ( Not just motorhoming) The dog played fetch for ages and kept me entertained while hubbie read his book. She had a collar on and I assumed she belonged to the big white house around the corner. I would have taken her to the police if I thought she looked half starved and lost!:(

P>S we did get "beeped" here but it was at 8am so wasn't too bad!:mad:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/ScotlandJune2007inthemotorhome011.jpg

champstar
01-04-2009, 21:16
Tried out around the loch on Monday..did not fin any suitable laybys for a couple of coach built MHs...did stop at a FC parking area on southside which would have been superb but had a sign saying no overnight motorhomes...shame

stevek
23-04-2009, 21:24
Stayed at the second layby before the floodsigns ( opposite the forestry entrance ) on saturday gone.Superb spot.

Shame about the forestry commision picnic site which is probably the best in the bay.What are they frightened of??

sagart
24-04-2009, 08:36
Stayed at the second layby before the floodsigns ( opposite the forestry entrance ) on saturday gone.Superb spot.

Shame about the forestry commision picnic site which is probably the best in the bay.What are they frightened of??

Assuming we are talking of Forestry Commission - Glen Creran - (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/ScotlandArgyllandButeNoForestGlenCreranGlenCreranC arPark)
My son works for them...would you like some of his list from the major clearance they had to do?
Filled domestic rubbish bags
Nappies
Used condoms
Bottles, tins, newspapers, contents of chemical toilets, two old televisions etc.
I can imagine no one using this Forum would approve of anyone leaving this, but, sadly, once this happens too often the barriers go up.
He has added that on one site they were working on, a car drove into a area partly obscured from them, paused briefly and left in a rush. They went across to see what had gone on and found a bag with six drowned kittens in it.

stevek
24-04-2009, 10:04
Yes it is sad when measures have to be taken.Surely though by your own explanation it is aimed at the wrong people?.The sign actually says "Sorry no overnight motorhomes"If the measures taken are to stop littering problems then I would have thought a ban on all access would have to be taken and not just on motorhomes. As it is that actual site is spotless

I often pick up litter when kipping in overnight spots and im sure no one on here would be resonsible for littering

sagart
25-04-2009, 12:25
Yes it is sad when measures have to be taken.Surely though by your own explanation it is aimed at the wrong people?.The sign actually says "Sorry no overnight motorhomes"If the measures taken are to stop littering problems then I would have thought a ban on all access would have to be taken and not just on motorhomes. As it is that actual site is spotless

I often pick up litter when kipping in overnight spots and im sure no one on here would be resonsible for littering

Just contacted my son about this (unfortunately he is not based with the office which deals with the Oban area) and he is really surprised at this...according to him this is not on the inventory of signs used by the Forestry Commission, Scotland, so his question is "Was the sign identified as one of (ours)? Or was it some other style put up by Tillhill who are the contractors used to harvest that area".
His other comment over the wording you quote, ""Sorry no overnight motorhomes", is that "it doesn't even read like one of ours"
Don't suppose you took a picture of it?
Equally, he and his gang have not been told of any policy change over allowing overnighting.

stevek
25-04-2009, 16:03
Sorry didnt take a photograph and wont be up that way for another month.

sagart
26-04-2009, 09:22
Sorry to keep hassling you (I won't be that way myself until late July and Martin is working north of Skye), but can you remember if it had any logo?
The official one can be seen at Forestry Commission Scotland (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/fchomepages.nsf/hp/Scotland) in the top left corner, the two trees. While the normal minimum wording is "Overnight stays are not permitted" and the notice is either green and white or, in some cases, gives a list on thou shalt nots again with green as a main colour.
The Logo and the name "Forestry Commisission" or, for older notices "Forest Enterprise" is always displayed.

champstar
26-04-2009, 23:22
The sign was a wooden one just like FC signs but had an image of a motorhome and definately said no overnight motorhomes....I did think this was strange as I had not come across it before....usually say no camping etc.
Interesting point though if it is not official does that mean a possible overnight would be ok as it is a lovely spot....the other laybys etc are not really big enough for a coachbuilt or two!!!!

stevek
28-04-2009, 17:59
Sagart apologies for the delay-been away.

Thanks for your interest and concern.

Having had another look at your forestry commision link I dont know if I have misled you.The off road picnic site I was referring to is not up the single track road to Elleric,it is about a mile up the south side of the loch after the south roundabout when travelling Oban to Fort william.If it is not the same place we are referring to it may explain the unusual signage.

None the less if overnighting is not allowed on the spot I reffered to it is a shame because it is a superb location.I wonder if it is something to do with the houses opposite across the loch one of which has a strange turret shape on top which I am just waiting to see on Grand Designs!

I apologise if I have misled you.

sagart
30-04-2009, 15:13
No problem!!!! my son was quite relieved....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS